GolfSpy Dave

Golfspy Dave's Golf Fitness Program-UPDATED 03/25/14

Dave-

Very nice start to the program.  One thing I did notice is that one day on your caloric intake you were absurdly lower then you BMR caloric allowance.  Make sure you are getting in enough protein and complex carbs along with water so you don't set your training days/sessions back.  Less calories is not always better, even when it comes to weight loss.  Aside from that it is awesome and I am very glad to see you have a trainer that is taking it slow and not trying to work you too hard in the beginning.  That shows due diligence and definitely a person that can be trusted with your best interest over the duration of your challenge.

Dave-

Very nice start to the program.  One thing I did notice is that one day on your caloric intake you were absurdly lower then you BMR caloric allowance.  Make sure you are getting in enough protein and complex carbs along with water so you don't set your training days/sessions back.  Less calories is not always better, even when it comes to weight loss.  Aside from that it is awesome and I am very glad to see you have a trainer that is taking it slow and not trying to work you too hard in the beginning.  That shows due diligence and definitely a person that can be trusted with your best interest over the duration of your challenge.

I bet that was a day that I walked and played 18 holes walking. One thing that I have an issue with Lose It is the amount of calories it says that you spend pushing a golf cart for 4.5 hours. If I walk in the morning, then play golf in the afternoon, I could likely dine on a pound of butter and stay under the calorie allotment. 

I am in the process of getting a better exercise calorie counting system that will let me know if the Lose It numbers are accurate. More on that little gadget hopefully soon.

I bet that was a day that I walked and played 18 holes walking. One thing that I have an issue with Lose It is the amount of calories it says that you spend pushing a golf cart for 4.5 hours. If I walk in the morning, then play golf in the afternoon, I could likely dine on a pound of butter and stay under the calorie allotment. 

I am in the process of getting a better exercise calorie counting system that will let me know if the Lose It numbers are accurate. More on that little gadget hopefully soon.

You will find that the calorie metric for Golf (walking) is a little high, but still far better than you think.  A 4.5 hour walk for a round of 18 holes is ~8 miles, so a little under 2 miles an hour, but then you factor in roughly 35 reps ofa  full body swing, add another 35 warm up swings, and you add a good chunk of core muscle.  Pushing a cart cuts the burn though. Use a stand bag and carry the clubs though and the metric isn't far off.  Think about how often you find yourself feeling a little flat around hole 9-10 even driving a cart where you need a 'snack' ( I carry energy gels in my bag most days for those lulls ).  

If you put a GPS pedometer on for a round, I think you'll be stunned. 

I know that when my father had his heart stent put in, and the cardiologist asked him to get more exercise, he actually wrote a prescription that stated he needed to play 9-18 holes of golf, 2-3 days a week, starting with a cart, working to a push cart and encouraging him to walk at least 9 holes every week.  The cardiologist described as "the best full body workout you can get that isn't sex but still fun". 

Over the last year, I've given up using a cart or a pushcart unless it's obscenely hot, I am injured or the course/timing prohibits walking. Based purely upon the presumed calories burned and the post round calories consumed, I really do think the metric is pretty accurate at a 4.5 MET calculation.

I kinda figured it was something like that. Try my fitness pal. My wife is a runner and likes that one a lot. Keep up the amazing work

Sounds GREAT Dave! Keep up the good work, your golf game will be back; your overall health is far more important and the work you put in now; will carry you and your golf game far into the future.

Updated 11/05 :)

Any of you guys and gals doing this with me?

I've been getting to the gym. Not as much as I like but something is better than nothing

Motivation...

So today it's rainy and cold here in NorCal. Granted we are talking NorCal cold (55° high), but when the temp drops 25° in a day, it counts as cold. Needless to say, I am not heading out on the road to do my 3 miles. It'll be the gym and Mr. Treadmill today for me.

Having walked outside for the past almost 3 month, I have learned that the treadmill 3 miles is a grind vs. natural walking. It takes a whole lot more motivation and endurance to survive the boredom of that 45 minutes or so on the mill. Podcasts have been helpful to an extent (continued thanks to Opie & Anthony along with Joe Rogan) but the podcast does not have the same mind blanking power as the right song for the moment.

So as I try to work up the energy to go to the gym, I thought I would throw the following question out to you:

"What is your go to song in the gym? What's the one that can kick your energy back up, motivating you to finish?"

OK, so that's two questions, but you get the gist.

Don't filter just go with the first one that comes to mind. Here is the one that I went to first.

Stereo MC's - Elevate My Mind

When I need 3 minutes of power, that one does the trick. Tempo just keeps me going.

I have two others, specifically for the treadmill. I am not running as of yet, but when I was, these two songs are the pick up the pace songs. I still laugh at my silly brain and/or musical tastes for putting them together.

Avril Lavigne-Girlfriend

Slayer-Angel of Death

Enough of my songs, what are yours? Please share. Motivation is scarce these days!

Keep it up mate your work is fantastic!

I really need to start something like this but dont have the time at the moment which sucks and need to start small.

I would love to ask a few questions though:

1. How did you go about learning the correct squat form and deadlift (assuming your doing them) form. I really struggle with it but really want to master them.

2. what kind of base workout do you do that is golf specific? or is more of a general fitness workout?

3. Has your trainer provided you with a series of stretches at all? something along the lines of a pre-game warm up or something you can do each night before bed to increase mobility?

Hope the progress keeps coming and you smash through to that 12% goal real quick!

PS. "how do you milk an almond?" nearly got me in trouble for laughing so hard at  work lol