Nike Vapor Drivers reviews by Rick Shields

Mr_Theoo

Rick Shields has the first review I've seen of all three of the new nike Vapor drivers. Its nice to see some real data with these and makes me only more excited to try these and see if they beat my SLDR

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I'm waiting to see what Tai's review looks like.  Honestly, I've been trying to demo one of these myself but the local stores said that Nike told them there was a QC issue and they haven't been able to send out the demo/fitting carts.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I'm waiting to see what Tai's review looks like. Honestly, I've been trying to demo one of these myself but the local stores said that Nike told them there was a QC issue and they haven't been able to send out the demo/fitting carts.

Same here, I did get to hit the vapor pro irons at golf galaxy but it was just off the shelf. So I just decided to order a 6 iron in my specs to play around with to see if I want to get a whole set.

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Very interesting series, especially since he used the same shaft in all three heads.   The Pro was really producing good numbers for him.  I've never seen that much carry and roll with that low ball speed in his tests.   But the Flex was just weird.   His spin drops significantly when the weight is moved back?   You could tell he didn't like the feel regardless of the results or the setting.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Where you strike the ball on the face of a driver is going to affect spin more than anything. I don't really see these technologies like the changeable weights really affecting anything. For tour pros that are dialing in their numbers, sure. They may very well be consistent enough to see a difference. But for the average Joe that hits the ball all over the face anyway, I think it's mostly ineffective.

When a robot swings these clubs and strikes the ball with the same spot on the face every time with the weight in one position versus the weight in the other position what is the difference in spin? I'd be interested to know.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Same here, I did get to hit the vapor pro irons at golf galaxy but it was just off the shelf. So I just decided to order a 6 iron in my specs to play around with to see if I want to get a whole set.

Oh, they've had the irons, but not the woods or driver.  I'll have a set of the Vapor Pro's.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I got to hit the Pro and the Flex while at Nike in October, and wound up being fit for the Pro and gamed it for the last several weeks of the season.  It's proven to be a very good fit for me (see some of the number in my driver fitting post here).   On my home course I did notice hitting some of the longest drives of the year and more importantly, off-center hits (heal and toe), wound up very playable with some lost of distance but not horrible.  Based on where it hit on the face, the results of the shot were pretty darned good, in my opinion.

The Flex felt noticeably different from the Pro.  It's a 425CC or so head - my best hits were on par with the Pro, but the Pro - being a 460CC head - was more forgiving.  The Feel of the Flex was fascinating - if it were an iron I'd say it felt "softer" that the Pro and just waggling the thing it had a very unique feel to it.  I'd love to try it again...

Click here for the write up on the Nike experience and an overview of the 3 new drivers. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

So let me get this straight.....

The Pro is the biggest and most forgiving head?   At 460 cc, its like the SLDR and aimed at better players?  This is the one Shiels got the lowest spin with.   The Speed is the deep-faced lower spinning, smaller head at less than 460, like the SLDR 430, but it's the cheapest one?   And the Flex is also small headed at 425 with an adjustable COG and a different feel and is the most expensive?

You can see why I'm confused.   It the Pro is the biggest head producing the lowest spin and it's not that expensive, I can see it doing well.  Personally, I'm sick of doo-dad adjustability in my drivers.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

So let me get this straight.....

The Pro is the biggest and most forgiving head? At 460 cc, its like the SLDR and aimed at better players? This is the one Shiels got the lowest spin with. The Speed is the deep-faced lower spinning, smaller head at less than 460, like the SLDR 430, but it's the cheapest one? And the Flex is also small headed at 425 with an adjustable COG and a different feel and is the most expensive?

You can see why I'm confused. It the Pro is the biggest head producing the lowest spin and it's not that expensive, I can see it doing well. Personally, I'm sick of doo-dad adjustability in my drivers.

The speed and the pro heads are both 460cc the flex head is the smaller 425cc.

And pricewise it's Speed at $299, Pro at $399 and Flex at $499

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Great info here. Waiting for Mark Crossfield's video on these. He is my favorite club review guy.

This club is at the top of my list for 2015. I have never been fit for a driver and still game a Razr Hawk that I just picked up a few years ago. Excited to go through the fitting process because driver tech seems to have grown leaps and bounds since my gamer was released.

@KW_Johnston

Driver: Callaway XR

3 Wood: Nike Vrs

Hybrid: Adams Idea Super LS

Irons: Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metal 4-GW. N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X

Wedge: 54 Callaway Forged

Wedge: 58 Bettinardi

Putter: Taylormade Ghost Black Indy

Archived