Number of Testers
Signup Cutoff Date:
5,588 signups
Equipment Type: Golf Balls
Vendor: TaylorMade

Testers Wanted!

TMTP5Feature.jpg

It seems to be the year of new golf balls! We are certainly not complaining, though. With a few other major brands already putting up their new golf balls for member testing, we now have the opportunity to get the new TaylorMade TP5 and TP5X in the hands of our testers to see how they really perform.

What’s changed?

TaylorMade has completely revamped both their TP5  and TP5X models with a significant investment to the tune of $100 million for golf ball-related business. This investment went into several key areas, which included buying the Nassau ball plant in South Korea and huge investments in their golf ball R&D. Over the last three years, TaylorMade has built a new state-of-the-art indoor test range and completely remade its outdoor test area with Trackman units to capture performance data for every stage of ball flight.

As for the golf balls themselves, the TP5  and TP5X now have what TaylorMade calls “Speed-Wrap.” This is a new technology that TaylorMade claims produces “significantly faster with a better feel and a softer feel.” This is done by allowing the material to control the sound without affecting speed. As sound often directly relates to feel, the new TP5 and TP5X can be firmer golf balls without feeling or sounding firm.

Finally, the initial three layers are now progressively firmer, allowing them to “truly perform like completely different products.”

The bottom line is TaylorMade feels they have really upped their standards with their new golf ball lineup and want to make significant gains in the ever-competitive golf ball market. Being a distant third in market share to Callaway and the far-and-away leader Titleist, TaylorMade hopes the new TP5 and TPX will be their launchpad to further success.

TM-TP5-LINE.jpg

Want To Be A Tester?

We need six testers to test, review, and keep the new TP5 or TP5X golf ball. Each selected tester will receive two dozen golf balls for their review.

*This test is open to all golfers worldwide.

*Registration closes March. 1

*Testers will be announced on the Forum March. 5

*Must be a registered MyGolfSpy Forum member to be selected!

TM-TP5-CUT.jpg

179 Comments

2 hours ago, Jermit said:

When I came back to playing golf after 14 years off I started playing the TP5X, after last year I switched back to the ProV1X I found more consistent distance on my wedges and mid irons. I hope the hype for Taylormade is real because it’s easier to go back to the TP5 seeming our pro shop is Taylormade only. 

So correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the TP5X a low spin ball??? The ProV1X is a more spin ball so that seems an odd trade one for one??? I cannot hit the ProV1X at all because of spin but I hit that TP5X well?? Now I'm confused

Been a while since I played the TP5...currently playing AVX and liking the ball, however I think that they should be equal to each other in terms  of spin.

Love Taylormade balls - I've been using Callaway Triple track for a while now but TM were often a staple in the bag and have used the old TP5s before especially the Pix as like how they help with putting and seeing the ball rollout. Excited about this one!

Alright I have to see if these balls can win my love again! I played the tp5x pix before switching to the Odin X1 and I believe it’s time to put the new TM balls to the ultimate test! Taking down my current gamer!  Good luck everyone! 

On 2/24/2024 at 10:55 AM, Chriso said:

I just bought a dozen TP5X and the only issue I’ve had so far are the cover gets scuffed too easily. Had a brand new ball that was scuffed after a good drive that stayed in the fw the other day. 

a good drive ... those words are not known to me. unless its with a 3 wood or 2h

On 2/24/2024 at 3:17 PM, Rob Person said:

Welcome to the forums! There's a great "how to be a tester" article which is very helpful.  The site is more than just testing new equipment though.  Many members here have valuable insights,  feedback, and written personal reviews of equipment they've tested.  Hope you can get as much as possible out of this forum as I have!

thanks for the reply.   

On 2/24/2024 at 2:58 PM, GolfSpy_APH said:

@jeddi67 - You would have received 3 follow up emails which are preset to help people get to know a few different areas and let you know when tests are going to come! 

As a member you can adjust your email settings in the account settings. 

We will select over 200 member this season for testing based on our current schedule. 

I got way more than 3 emails.

So we had a Taylormade presentation on course this weekend 24/2/24, showcasing the new balls. Some of the lucky members were able to try either the new TP5 or TP5x. From the feedback coming back was impressive. I was able to get my hands on the new TP5x and I was very impressed. Playing off a handicap of 12 I came back with 9 pars, 5 bogeys and 4 doubles. Golf is hard.

I'd like to try the ball again for an extended period as I typically can get between 2-3 games per week.

What a great opportunity!  Hard to believe a company would spend over $100 Million and buying their own manufacturing plant. Interesting.  A way to compete with Titleist.   The TP5 is a good ball, it will be interesting to see the results of the new TP5 golf ball line.  Thanks MGS!! 

I haven't played a TaylorMade ball since the tour preferred days! I loved the TP3. The TP5 lost me, just seemed the distance wasn't there. I believe the AVX was released about that time as well. I was forced out of the game for 5-6 years and never looked at them again. Good luck to everyone!

I am testing the Callaway balls, but it would be really interesting if in the future MGS and these companies would let us test multiple companies at the same time. I would love to compare these against the new Callaway balls. I compared the Callaway balls to the current balls I am playing, but it would be really cool to compare a brand new ball to a brand new ball. This would be even better for me because I don't use either of these balls currently. I do like the Callaway balls I tested and they are going to make it into my bag soon, time will tell if they fully replace the Pro V1. I have to use up my Vero balls I have from OnCore. I don't have the new Vero XP so I can't comment on that one, but these new Callaways out performed the Vero x1 and x2. 

11 minutes ago, Erin B said:

I am testing the Callaway balls, but it would be really interesting if in the future MGS and these companies would let us test multiple companies at the same time. I would love to compare these against the new Callaway balls. I compared the Callaway balls to the current balls I am playing, but it would be really cool to compare a brand new ball to a brand new ball. This would be even better for me because I don't use either of these balls currently. I do like the Callaway balls I tested and they are going to make it into my bag soon, time will tell if they fully replace the Pro V1. I have to use up my Vero balls I have from OnCore. I don't have the new Vero XP so I can't comment on that one, but these new Callaways out performed the Vero x1 and x2. 

These are review opportunities for the OEM to showcase their ball. It’s always best to not compare whatever equipment you are testing to what you are playing but not always easy to do. Some comparisons are inevitable and probably needed but the reviews are meant to test the manufacturer/OEM claims. If they themselves compare the ball/equipment to another OEM then by all means compare away. Similar to Odin comparing their X1 to the ProV1.  

18 hours ago, Marlin Dave said:

So correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the TP5X a low spin ball??? The ProV1X is a more spin ball so that seems an odd trade one for one??? I cannot hit the ProV1X at all because of spin but I hit that TP5X well?? Now I'm confused

You’d be correct when you’re talking about spin off the tee and long irons. The TP5X spins less off the wedge and mid irons over the TP5 that’s where it’s going to make the difference for me. I want a firmer feeling ball that doesn’t back up 15 feet when I’m hitting a full wedge shot into a green. 

28 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

These are review opportunities for the OEM to showcase their ball. It’s always best to not compare whatever equipment you are testing to what you are playing but not always easy to do. Some comparisons are inevitable and probably needed but the reviews are meant to test the manufacturer/OEM claims. If they themselves compare the ball/equipment to another OEM then by all means compare away. Similar to Odin comparing their X1 to the ProV1.  

Roger that!

I will be following this test closely. I play the TP5 because of short game and approach performance, but have been testing new balls to find something similar there with more distance of the tee. We will see if they have fixed the distance issue.

4 minutes ago, MuniGolfer said:

I will be following this test closely. I play the TP5 because of short game and approach performance, but have been testing new balls to find something similar there with more distance of the tee. We will see if they have fixed the distance issue.

You might want to check out the new Callaway Chrome Tour balls too. They are fantastic around the green, and I like the X for the distance. I was surprised by the both of them being so green friendly. They are hot off the putter though, I will have to get used to that.

Once I saw that Peter Finch was switching I decided I should give them a try, jk.  I have several Srixon and Bridgestone sleeves/boxes waiting for spring testing, would love to add TP5 to the lineup.  Currently play the Srixon Diamond.

I was playing the Titleist Tour Speed trying to move away from Vice Pro Plus. Last year I hit my longest drive of the year with a TP5 that a friend gave me, so I'm intrigued. Finally warmed up in Pennsylvania so I'll be playing or hitting indoors 2-3 times per week.

1 hour ago, Erin B said:

You might want to check out the new Callaway Chrome Tour balls too. They are fantastic around the green, and I like the X for the distance. I was surprised by the both of them being so green friendly. They are hot off the putter though, I will have to get used to that.

I am one of the testers for those, and used to play Callaway balls, until durability got in the way. I am with you. One of those could become my next gamer😉

Just now, MuniGolfer said:

I am one of the testers for those, and used to play Callaway balls, until durability got in the way. I am with you. One of those could become my next gamer😉

Crazy isn't it? I didn't expect it from Callaway balls. I have tried them in the past, but was MEH on them. These balls though, they are good. I have also tried TaylorMade, I am still MEH on them too. I am looking forward to this review. 

This Test is now closed to further comments.