Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Number of Testers
Signup Cutoff Date:
4,012 signups
Equipment Type: irons
Vendor: PXG

Testers Wanted

TWFeature.jpg

MyGolfSpy Forum is thrilled to announce a new release testing opportunity from PXG. This is the first time PXG has ever participated in member testing, and there couldn't be a better product than their newly announced Gen 7 irons and Black Ops irons.

About PXG

It’s no surprise that PXG is a polarizing brand. Since their inception in 2013, they have been bold and, for some, brash. The evolution of PXG has been fascinating to follow as they transitioned from a boutique, high-priced, exclusive brand to a company offering a range of options with price points that will suit most, if not all, golfers.

PXG places significant focus on fitting, ensuring customers have the proper products to get the best performance from their game. This is evident with their various in-store fitting options (at PXG-specific or partner stores) and the option of over-the-phone fittings.

PXG also offers their PXG for Heroes program, which provides first looks, discounts, and more for active duty, veterans, first responders, and law enforcement personnel. It is a “Thank You” to all those who have served and is a core pillar of the brand.

0311P.jpg

The PXG Perception

As mentioned earlier, PXG is a polarizing brand. This was evident in the 2022 Brand Perception Survey done by MyGolfSpy, where results were varied. PXG ranked high with related words such as Modern, Premium, Engineering, and Innovation, while also ranking high with less positive keywords such as Hype, Follower, and Gimmick.

When brands are louder, there will be more people on each side of the fence, compared to those straddling it, which is why these results are not surprising.

This brings us to a key point: does it matter? If a product performs or outperforms what is in your bag, will it, or can it, change your perception? Could it make some of those negative associations fade away?

BlackOps.jpg

The Testing Opportunity

We are looking for six golfers to test, review, and keep a set of PXG Gen 7 irons or PXG Black Ops irons. We will be selecting three for each, and while we have no specifications or further details to share with you (those will be released soon), we are thrilled to provide this early opportunity to our members.

What is your brand bias towards PXG? Do you think it will make you the perfect tester?

Let us know!

0311XP.jpg

*This testing opportunity is open to registered forum members in North America.
*Registration closes August 4.
*Testers will be announced August 6.

393 Comments

6 minutes ago, pgr said:

I have never hit any PXG club (though I was close to buying a driver at one point) because they are not available through any of the club outlets near me. None of the local stores or Pro shops carry any of their equipment. I have spoken with owners on the golf course and all of them seem pretty happy with them so I would love a chance to see how well they work for me! Have hadd the Pings since before the pandemic and never loved them. I do wonder what kind of shafts they will come with. 

I have only hit the Gen 1 and 3 irons.  Nothing recent.  PXG is am interesting brand.  Edgy and innovative.  Should be an awesome test.

When PXG first came out I had the opportunity to hit them and I was not impressed. So, I stayed away from them for two reasons. First being I didn’t like the feel of the irons back then, and secondly the high price. No military discount for me.

But I hear they have come a long way . Let’s see what our testers think once they are selected and clubs are in hand.

Already close to 3000 interested applicants. 

I'd love the opportunity to test against my P790s. Whether chosen or not I will be eager to see the results.

On 7/28/2024 at 9:47 PM, GolfSpy_BEN said:

image.png.33fb1f8e56421ec3e7340a7fb710c363.png

Honestly......this brand went from we are going to make ultra expensive clubs......don't care if you can afford them....to heavy discounts and we now cater to the everyday golfer......that being said I know several veterans that have raved about the clubs and the one time I hit an 8-iron it went about 15 yards further than my 716 AP2's..........still not a fan of how hot this brand tried to burst through the scene.....a lot like XXIO.....still wouldn't hate if I had the opportunity to try these out

Very cool opportunity!  I’m currently playing 0311P Gen 5 irons and I love them!  Would love to be chosen to compare my current set up with the Gen 7, but equally excited for whoever gets the chance to review them and to hear what they say.  Word from a player with Gen 6 irons was very positive - said they were a noticeable increase in distance for him, more forgiving, and slightly better turf interaction.  Would love to see what they’ve done to improve on those marks!  Good luck to everyone!

Loving my 0311 Gen 5 driver that I got fit for in early January. As irons are my next replacement I would love to give these a shot!

My girlfriend's dad just got fitted for clubs and got PXG irons and raves about them. Cool to see them getting more love and getting into testing here will probably help their image. I'm newer to golf so I had never heard of them until he got them, and looking them up their reputation seemed very shaky, but the people who fitted him said their newer stuff was awesome. Hopefully they outgrow their overpriced or all hype reputation. 

Oh heck yeah, been eyeing some of these as the 12 year old tnts are starting to show age. Good luck everyone e

This is going to be a good one! I have the 0211 line and I love them. Good luck to the entrants(but my selfishness definitely wants me to be one of the testers!)

Good luck everyone. I would be very interested to see what all the hype is about. I would also want to know these hot compared to my current clubs.

8 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Going to burst the bubble a bit, but goes for several here and I know all of you appreciate it in the long run.

If someone has done a premium test this season (clubs, full sets, shafts, tech or basically not golf balls or gloves) and those who are currently testing right now won't be in the running for consideration.

Members can only be involved on one test at any given time. Gotta put that focus into the review at hand before being considered for another one. 

*Most do not get back to back opportunities. We try to spread them out.

We have a ton of amazing members and want to give everyone a fair shake with reviews. 

Again it goes back to being sure to sign up for the opportunities you are really excited for. It is likely your "one" for the season. 

I know you specifically don't expect to be picked and I do also know PXG is going to like seeing the high number of registrations. 

Just setting expectations. And putting the word out there for others who may not be aware.

Absolutely understand,  and again, didn't expect to be.  But it's definitely too exciting of an opportunity to not try! 🙃

This will be an amazing test to see how it stacks up with other great manufacturers like Taylormade, Titleist, and Mizuno.  Good luck to everyone involved!

I will be honest I was a Taylormade guy and was having trouble with my PW. For some reason I could not hit it consistently. So being former military, I decided to order a 0211 Xcor2 wedge to see if it would make a difference. 

Things about ordering:

1. Their page was easy to move through the options.

2. I really liked the when picking different shafts a brief explanation of its profile showed up. Many times I wonder if I am ordering the wrong shaft and this helped me from myself and not jumping to 12 sites reading about shafts. Plus they have a ton of options.

3. Lastly they had CP2 grips. My gripe with a lot of places is I cannot choose my grip. So many times I buy clubs and spend $100 to buy new grips. 

4. Processing fee was $40, but it is a custom club so I understand this. 

Anyways after I got the W I parked in front of my sim and smacked ball after ball right on target. Thought it might have been a fluke, but after a week of testing I decided I was a convert to their irons. Ended up buying 5-gap and bought my wife a driver. It’s funny how my wife only saw the driver come out of the box. Somehow the irons fell into my bag before I made it to the house….weird. Long story short would love an opportunity to test drive the black ops or gen 7s. They make great irons, and I think my conversion has sold about 5 more sets just by having guys try them in my sim. 

I have done the pxg driver challenge and while their driver couldn't beat mine. I was pleased with the treatment and knowledge of fitter. 

I think pxg gets a bad wrap because of their initial price point. They were just thought of as the rich man’s clubs so many players never even consider them. Plus since they’re only sold direct it’s hard to stomach paying a comparable price to the large oem’s if you don’t have the ability to get fit for the clubs. I think they make quality clubs and I’d love an opportunity to test them out 

Aesthetically I always feel that PXG has the best looking designed clubs out there! It's also get when I company can shake the industry even a little that gives the "big boys" a pause and do some sort of adaptation. Plus any company that actively supports veterans, active duty and first responders and law enforcement is worh checking out! Such a fantastic opportunity and would be an absolute honor to be selected! Good luck all!

This Test is now closed to further comments.