Our Sponsors

I would have tried a cut lob first...

and then gone to the putter to play the same shot from the other side of the green.

That's why so many of the "Dukes" got to drink on my tab.

• Like 1

I will sometimes use my 7iron or hybrid to putt when my ball is in thick fringe rough or has too much fringe to cover before the ball will hit the green. It has really helped me with understanding that creativity matters and is what helps make the game fun.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I love using my putter around the greens. It is significantly more consistent than my other clubs and I find when putting on the fringe it makes me have a more confident stroke to get it through the fringe and to the hole.

I tried it a few times. didn't work out so I just threw that idea out the window. Different strokes....

Practice it if you can. There may just come a time..............

I suck at fringe putting and I mean flat out suck. I'm working on improving it but I'm just more comfortable taking a wedge or short iron on those little fringe shots and bumping it on the green.

Everyone must play their own game and do whatever is comfortable to them. Absolutely nothing with the way you do it if you have confidence in it

• Like 2

That's because a lot of these folks are dealing with bent grass fringes and not the grainy Bermuda in Central Texas. I feel your pain from just off the green. Bermuda is tough because of how it grows and the thickness of the blade. Unless you are completely down grain, that ball isn't going to react the way you want it to. I just tell folks who play Bermuda to stick with their wedges as best you can. It just takes a lot of practice.

Exactly! I don't have a hard time with that little bump wedge either so I'm not losing sleep over it but I'm sure putting off the green would be an asset I could use if I ever traveled and played somewhere like that.

In the bag

Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex

3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree

Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2

Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie

Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees

Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig'em Aggies!

• Like 1

I'll putt from the fringe if I'm a foot or less sometimes...but those little delicate chips are fun and I don't mind hitting them. I actually prefer to actually. But I'm not normal in that area. Some call me crazy....

• Like 2

Okay, so it seems like most of us putt when we are just in the fringe. Do y'all chip when your are in a tightly mown collection are 10 yards off the green? I normally chip from those but do y'all putt?

Okay, so it seems like most of us putt when we are just in the fringe. Do y'all chip when your are in a tightly mown collection are 10 yards off the green? I normally chip from those but do y'all putt?

We don't have many collection areas and the bailout areas are normally a little thicker so I would typically use my 58.

I have a tendency to use a lot of clubs around the green depending on how much run out I'm looking for. If it was a tight lie and say a middleish pin I'm probably going gap wedge.

At the beginning of the year I had a 4 Iron obsession around the greens, but that has since faded for more traditional methods.

• Like 2

My dad always used to say that putting from the rough was his specialty. Personally I believe he did it cause he couldn't get enough backspin on the ball from closet ranges but he found a way around it and I applaud him for that. I rarely do it but it depends on the thickness of the rough and how much green you have to work with. Glad you learned a new trick!

Those I putt with a 30* Wishon 730CL hybrid. Love that club for those types of shots! It also gets use as my 5 iron replacement.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I normally chip those, but it depends on the lie and where the pin is located.  

Yesterday, I was playing Wolf at a course across town I haven't played in over two years.  The grass is different than my course.  On the par 3 Hole #17, the pin was in front on a narrow strip of green between two bunkers.  The lone Wolf hit short of the green in the collection area that's maybe 5 feet below green level... so did I.  The other two players were in bad shape; one long in left rough and the other was pin high but in rough to the right of the right bunker.  So, it was up to me to save the hole.  The Wolf went first and chipped up the slope but stopped short of the green, almost rolling back to his feet.  I putted onto the green about 4 feet from the hole.  Wolf missed his putt from the fringe, I made mine.  Wolf had to give us each a quarter.  

Normally, I would have chipped, but I felt that I could do better than he did by putting, and I wasn't confident about chipping off unknown grass.

• Like 2

I'm hoping pretty much anything outside a for off the green... Tight lie or not.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1