Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Putting from off the fringe

My dad always used to say that putting from the rough was his specialty. Personally I believe he did it cause he couldn't get enough backspin on the ball from closet ranges but he found a way around it and I applaud him for that. I rarely do it but it depends on the thickness of the rough and how much green you have to work with. Glad you learned a new trick!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Okay, so it seems like most of us putt when we are just in the fringe. Do y'all chip when your are in a tightly mown collection are 10 yards off the green? I normally chip from those but do y'all putt?

Those I putt with a 30* Wishon 730CL hybrid. Love that club for those types of shots! It also gets use as my 5 iron replacement.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

Okay, so it seems like most of us putt when we are just in the fringe. Do y'all chip when your are in a tightly mown collection are 10 yards off the green? I normally chip from those but do y'all putt?

I normally chip those, but it depends on the lie and where the pin is located.  

Yesterday, I was playing Wolf at a course across town I haven't played in over two years.  The grass is different than my course.  On the par 3 Hole #17, the pin was in front on a narrow strip of green between two bunkers.  The lone Wolf hit short of the green in the collection area that's maybe 5 feet below green level... so did I.  The other two players were in bad shape; one long in left rough and the other was pin high but in rough to the right of the right bunker.  So, it was up to me to save the hole.  The Wolf went first and chipped up the slope but stopped short of the green, almost rolling back to his feet.  I putted onto the green about 4 feet from the hole.  Wolf missed his putt from the fringe, I made mine.  Wolf had to give us each a quarter.  

Normally, I would have chipped, but I felt that I could do better than he did by putting, and I wasn't confident about chipping off unknown grass.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm hoping pretty much anything outside a for off the green... Tight lie or not.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Archived