Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Titleist Sweeps Equipment Count for 2nd Time in Three Weeks

Golfspy_CG2

TITLEIST EQUIPMENT UPDATE:  Validating its across-the-equipment-board success at the SONY Open two weeks ago, Titleist momentum continued at the Farmers Insurance Open where it was, once again, the overwhelming top tee-through-green choice of more players in the full field of 156. From golf balls to drivers, fairways and hybrids; to irons, wedges and putters, Titleist topped every brand in every major equipment category for an unprecedented second time in three weeks. Below are the convincing Titleist counts versus the nearest competitor: 

GOLF BALLS: 
TITLEIST: 112 (72%) 
Nearest Competitor: 19 (12%) 
Note:  The NEW Pro V1 and Pro V1x were introduced to rave reviews at the PGA Merchandise Show this week and are now available in pro shops everywhere.  Through the halfway point at the Farmers Insurance Open, Billy Horschel (T3/New Pro V1x) and Charles Howell III (T9/New Pro V1) are currently inside the top 10. Howell was the first player to win with the New Pro V1, when he played it for the first time in competition at the RSM Classic last November. 

DRIVERS: 
TITLEIST: 47 (30%) 
Nearest Competitor: 36 (23%) 
Note: For the fourth consecutive week, Titleist is the most played driver on the PGA TOUR, and the TS3 is the single most played model with 29. Not only is Titleist the top choice in drivers on the PGA Tour, it was also the field favorite for the second straight week on the Web.com Tour, and the TS3 was the most played driver model for the second straight week on the European Tour. 

FAIRWAY METALS: 
TITLEIST: 57 (27%) 
Nearest Competitor: 51 (25%) 
Note:  The fairway metals category was the only one that prevented Titleist from sweeping last week's PGA Tour equipment counts, trailing the leader by two clubs. That changed this week however, and Titleist is the top choice with 57 in play.  It is a virtual even split between the Titleist T3 (23) and TS2 (22), which are the Nos. 1 and 2 most played individual models this week. 

HYBRIDS: 
TITLEIST: 24 (35%) 
Nearest Competitor: 17 (25%) 

IRONS: 
TITLEIST: 48 (31%) 
Nearest Competitor: 29(19%) 
Note: Titleist introduced its new limited edition AP2 and AP3 Black finish irons which were put in play by Cam Smith this week, the first time they were available. Quoting Cam:Speaking via Skype from Torrey Pines to the assembled golf media and professionals at the PGA Merchandise Show on Wednesday morning, Smith talked about the new irons ... "I couldn't wait to get the course on Monday morning. I think I was the first player there and the box was waiting for me on the Titleist Tour Van. I was like a 10-year old kid on Christmas morning opening a new present. They're sick. I love the look and feel and can't wait to put them in play."  Smith, who plays the 718 AP2 (4-9), posted a 71-69 (-4) and is T48 entering the weekend. 

WEDGES: 
TITLEIST: 219 (51%) 
Nearest Competitor: 63 (15%) 
Note: More than half of all the gap, sand and lob wedges in play at the Farmers Insurance Open is a Vokey Design model. That is more than all other wedges from all other brands combined. 

PUTTERS: 
TITLEIST: 63 (40%) 
Nearest Competitor: 46 (30%) 
Note: It was a Scotty Cameron X5R putter the winner of the Desert Classic was playing when he converted a 14-foot birdie putt on the final hole, staring down his more experienced playing partners for his first career win. This week, over 40 percent of the field is trusting their putting prowess to a Scotty Cameron. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

That’s pretty impressive. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

gotta love Titleist brand- pretty consistent the last 4 decades.

I became a Titleist fan with my first set of blades (which I still have in the garage), they showed some rust spots after 3 months and Titleist replace the whole set and gave me some balls for my trouble. Great CS and got a fan for life.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I think along with PING they have the most complete lineup all the way through the bag.  Its nit just the ball, putter and wedges amymore. 

The above skype call with Cameron was ptetty cool.  You could honestly see and here his enthusiasm.   They also had CHIII On a call about his switch.   He talked a lot about hoe the driver completely out performs what he was playing before.....no names mentioned.....Ha. 

Said hes thrilled with every single club in his bag including FW ans said he usually hates FW’s

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

20 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I think along with PING they have the most complete lineup all the way through the bag.  Its nit just the ball, putter and wedges amymore. 

The above skype call with Cameron was ptetty cool.  You could honestly see and here his enthusiasm.   They also had CHIII On a call about his switch.   He talked a lot about hoe the driver completely out performs what he was playing before.....no names mentioned.....Ha. 

Said hes thrilled with every single club in his bag including FW ans said he usually hates FW’s

Agree top to bottom ping and titleist lead the way, especially with an improved fw from ping and adjustable hybrid. Both companies are based in tradition and don’t do anything unless it makes product better. 

They knocked for 18-24 mo release cycles but one of thing Callaway did at the start of the 5 year war was to go to 2 year cycles...

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Archived