Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Most forgiving players or players distance irons?

Hook DeLoft

On 9/9/2020 at 11:37 AM, Hook DeLoft said:

I know players irons aren't designed to be forgiving, but I would still like to hear people's opinions on the topic.  Especially interested in the manner in which you found them to be forgiving (thin shots, sole interaction, toe shots, heel shots, etc).  I've looked at the official MGS rankings but would really like to hear about your personal experience.

Did you end up going with the Callaway Mavrik Max 6-GW (Mizuno HMB's when I'm feeling sporty)?

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-P

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

AKA the #FourPuttPrince. 👑

2 hours ago, AcesAndHoles said:

Did you end up going with the Callaway Mavrik Max 6-GW (Mizuno HMB's when I'm feeling sporty)?

Traded the HMB's for some JPX 919's in mint condition with the intent to sell the 919's and then buy a set of players' irons.  The HMB's had some unusual specs that made them difficult to move.  I have the 919's up for sale in the buy/sell section.  I'm leaning toward a cb/mb combo from Sub 70.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

7 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

Traded the HMB's for some JPX 919's in mint condition with the intent to sell the 919's and then buy a set of players' irons.  The HMB's had some unusual specs that made them difficult to move.  I have the 919's up for sale in the buy/sell section.  I'm leaning toward a cb/mb combo from Sub 70.

While they lean towards the GI/ Player's Distance category these were my findings in order of preference: Wilson D7 Forged; Mizuno 921 Forged; Apex 2019; Mavrik Pro; Titleist T200; Taylormade p790; Titleist T100; Mavrik; Sub 70 699;Taylormade T7MC

I fully acknowledge that I'm not consistent enough to be playing proper player's irons but ended up with the D7 Forged which gave me a little bit of everything. Having said that, I would have been happy with any of the purchases through the T200s.

On 11/2/2020 at 8:19 PM, AcesAndHoles said:

While they lean towards the GI/ Player's Distance category these were my findings in order of preference: Wilson D7 Forged; Mizuno 921 Forged; Apex 2019; Mavrik Pro; Titleist T200; Taylormade p790; Titleist T100; Mavrik; Sub 70 699;Taylormade T7MC

I fully acknowledge that I'm not consistent enough to be playing proper player's irons but ended up with the D7 Forged which gave me a little bit of everything. Having said that, I would have been happy with any of the purchases through the T200s.

What did you think of the Sub70 699's?

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

On 11/8/2020 at 2:17 PM, braincramp said:

What did you think of the Sub70 699's?

They weren't bad. Jason is a really great guy and will take the time to work with you, talk with you, and get you a tailored set of irons. Having said that, I felt like something was missing. For lack of better words, they felt like a simple version of the rest of the irons I've played. After playing the D7, 921, and Apex they simply felt "less" but that could also be the fact that the others are "forged". 

On 11/10/2020 at 4:23 PM, AcesAndHoles said:

They weren't bad. Jason is a really great guy and will take the time to work with you, talk with you, and get you a tailored set of irons. Having said that, I felt like something was missing. For lack of better words, they felt like a simple version of the rest of the irons I've played. After playing the D7, 921, and Apex they simply felt "less" but that could also be the fact that the others are "forged". 

Thanks. I only live a hour from their place so I'm quite interested in their stuff.

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5