Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Albatross Swing Speed Trainer

Pro-V-None

I previously tested the Aero Swing Trainer and liked it, but I ended up buying an Albatross Swing Speed trainer because I wanted to try something that was a dedicated swing trainer and not something I hooked up to my driver, thus taking it out of commission.  And I liked the Albatross because it's a single club with detachable weights at its end instead of 3 different clubs like you get with the Super Speed system. 

I kept the workout similar to the Aero Swing Trainer - 3 to 4 full sets going through the different weights, from heaviest to lightest, swinging all out until my speeds dropped off. Then I'd take off one of the weights, rest 30 seconds, and repeat.  It's a great workout. Gets you soaked with sweat when it's hot out, which it has been in Arizona.  I started a little behind where I ended with the Aero Swing Trainer a few months ago because I hurt my ribs about a month earlier and had to lay off golf until that healed.  

I did an 8 week program, from June 25th until August 19th.  My initial average swing speed was 101.33 -- done after a brief warmup, not after overspeed training with the Albatross) and ended with an average club head speed of 113 mph, which was a much bigger jump than I expected.  Most of my big gains came in the final 2 weeks.  I also tweaked my swing a bit which helped me get a few extra mph. 

End Results: Top speed increased to 115 from 112 mph with my 43" driver recorded on my PRGR radar.  I didn't get there until the 8th week.  It took me 6 weeks just to get back to 112 mph, which I was doubting I could reach the first month of training.  My highest swing speeds were recorded after the overspeed training session, which was about 50-60 swings deep.  I couldn't swing this fast on the course or just lightly warmed up, though.

My ending average swing speed -- taken after about 5 warmup swing with my driver -- ended up at 113 mph.  I was very surprised with that result, considering after week 6 my average was only 106.33 mph.  I was expecting maybe 108 mph average.  Hopefully I can take this new speed to the course, though I'd be happy with a 110 mph on-course driver speed.  

I'll keep working out with my Albatross training club, but this time add bodyweight exercises to see if I can keep increasing my swing speed. I'd love to get to 125 mph, though it seems out of reach.  Years ago, I remember seeing the physics equation from Jack Kuykendall showing how much additional work was needed to gain a certain amount of additional swing speed, and it was mind boggling.  It was something like doubling the amount of work for small gains or something. Makes sense when think about how hard it is to increase a few mph over the swing that makes your face purple and you nearly fly out of your shoes doing.   

Albatross.jpg

115 mph.jpg

Albatross Swing Weights.jpg

Albatross with weights detached.jpg

Edited by Pro-V-None

6 hours ago, Pro-V-None said:

I did an 8 week program, from June 25th until August 19th.  My initial average swing speed was 101.33 -- done after a brief warmup, not after overspeed training with the Albatross) and ended with an average club head speed of 113 mph, which was a much bigger jump than I expected.  Most of my big gains came in the final 2 weeks.  I also tweaked my swing a bit which helped me get a few extra mph. 

Are these numbers driver CHS while hitting a ball? 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Looks like a reasonably straightforward, simple to use swing aid. Thx for the info.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg