Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Maybe I’m Kidding Myself WRT Forged v Cast When It Comes to Floating Face or Hollow Irons…

Middler

When it comes to feel alone.

As I consider options to replace my irons this Fall, I wonder if my firm position on forged v cast still applies. No one will ever convince me there’s no difference between a solid one piece grain flow forged and a one piece cast club (no slots or hollow) even if they were the exact same shape/geometry. Cast muscle backs would exist if there was no difference (yes, I know there have been cast musclebacks, almost no one bought them).

But with floating faces like the JPX923 Forged or the hollow Mizuno Pro 225’s, it’s hard even for me to believe forged makes much difference when the face is as thin as CT and metallurgy will allow. I love my JPX900F’s but they don’t feel as good as a one piece forged iron on the sweet spot as much as I’d like to think they do. And I tried out the 225’s, and they didn’t feel any better or worse than my 900F’s.

So maybe I’m going to have to seriously consider some cast models like the 923HMP’s, along with 923F’s this Fall. Some us us are slow learners…🤔

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 001 F (mesh), Payntr X 005 F, Ecco Biom C4

Would you consider something along the lines of the Miz 223?  Doesn't that have the benefits of forging with some added forgiveness?  I've been pondering (strictly pondering, mind you - definitely haven't mocked up a set and have it in a cart anywhere, nope) the 201s from Takomo - very similar idea.  Peter Finch actually just did a comparison - while the Takomos don't strictly-speaking hold up AS WELL as the 223s, even he admitted that they feel pretty amazing, especially when taking the price into consideration. Have you already hit the 223s and decided they're not for you? I haven't had a chance to hit them anywhere - might need to make that a priority as my search for "better" clubs continues

Driver - Callaway Ai Smoke Max - 9* - Draw setting; Maltby UL (Otto Phlex)
5/7 Wood - Takomo Ignis
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*) (currently benched)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*/DF3 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

51 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

Would you consider something along the lines of the Miz 223?  Doesn't that have the benefits of forging with some added forgiveness?  I've been pondering (strictly pondering, mind you - definitely haven't mocked up a set and have it in a cart anywhere, nope) the 201s from Takomo - very similar idea.  Peter Finch actually just did a comparison - while the Takomos don't strictly-speaking hold up AS WELL as the 223s, even he admitted that they feel pretty amazing, especially when taking the price into consideration. Have you already hit the 223s and decided they're not for you? I haven't had a chance to hit them anywhere - might need to make that a priority as my search for "better" clubs continues

I suspect you're right they'd have better feel. I think I need more forgiveness than 223's, but I should at least hit them when I make my buying decision this Fall. Feel has always been a significant factor in choosing irons for me, and I'm not distance challenged (yet), but sadly my "game" suggests I need more and more forgiveness...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 001 F (mesh), Payntr X 005 F, Ecco Biom C4

49 minutes ago, Middler said:

I suspect you're right they'd have better feel. I think I need more forgiveness than 223's, but I should at least hit them when I make my buying decision this Fall. Feel has always been a significant factor in choosing irons for me, and I'm not distance challenged (yet), but sadly my "game" suggests I need more and more forgiveness...

I'm in a similar boat - have always had forgiving irons, but as I'm improving, curious if a balance somewhere in the middle would be a better, happier round of 18 - something like the Sub-70 659-CB, maybe, or the 201s (without breaking the bank).  Thinking about demoing the 659s to see if they're usable for a getting-better-little-by-little hack like myself 😉

Driver - Callaway Ai Smoke Max - 9* - Draw setting; Maltby UL (Otto Phlex)
5/7 Wood - Takomo Ignis
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*) (currently benched)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*/DF3 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

So far, the best feeling hollow irons I've hit are PXG 0311 P Gen 3.  Not saying they feel like a one piece forging, but they are very nice.  I ordered a cast PXG 0211 XCOR to try out.  Should be here tomorrow.  It will be interesting to see if the magic goo in the head makes it feel as good as the 0311 (which also has the magic goo).

14 of the following:

Taylormade Qi10 Max

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 26 degrees

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping G430 irons 6-50 degree

Sub 70 286 wedges 52 and 56 degrees

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

My '19 0211 irons feel suburb for being cast. I put them up against some forged clubs at my fitting back then and these felt the best.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 60g 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review