Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Single Plane Swing and less active lower body.

Goes to show how important putting is! Sounds like a pretty interesting money league you’re in!

I’ve been working on putting all offseason because it’s the worst part of my game. Been working on consistent setup (mirror) and tempo. Now I just have to translate that to the course.  

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

19 hours ago, RoverRick said:

I typed the TGMN first and had skipped Porzac then went back, so the hands low take away was what I was thinking, when compared to the TGMN. Also, I was attempting to give a thumbnail of each and highlight some differences off the top of my head. 

There are a lot of things in common each of the method. One of the main points of all of them is keeping your hands in front of the body. 

There is no low hands in porzak’s teaching in the takeaway. Its very traditional takeaway.

They have different philosophies on the takeaway and pressure shifting. They have different philosophies on the transition and downswing.

malaska and Milo lines (formerly worked under malaska) have more commonalities than Porzak and malaska.

I’ve watched a lot of porzak’s content and was a member of his master class paid membership for awhile. I’m very familiar with his teachings. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

21 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There is no low hands in porzak’s teaching in the takeaway. Its very traditional takeaway.

They have different philosophies on the takeaway and pressure shifting. They have different philosophies on the transition and downswing.

malaska and Milo lines (formerly worked under malaska) have more commonalities than Porzak and malaska.

I’ve watched a lot of porzak’s content and was a member of his master class paid membership for awhile. I’m very familiar with his teachings. 

Porzak says to keep the hands low during the first part of the take away like “holding a beach ball under the water”. But like I said it was meant as a thumbnail view. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

2 hours ago, RoverRick said:

Porzak says to keep the hands low during the first part of the take away like “holding a beach ball under the water”. But like I said it was meant as a thumbnail view. 

That means not to lift the hands which is a common fault of many amateur golfers.

his take is the same as Monte’s, GG’s, Alex Riggs, Chris Ryan and many others.

inwas replying so that anyone reading understands that it’s not an actual philosophy of low hands fj at he teaches or someone out there trying to keep their hands low which would create a bad move

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had an interesting development. GolfShot uses AppleWatch to track the Statistics of your swing. Tempo, Rhythm, Hand Speed, Backswing, Transition, Swing Path. I downloaded this 6-8 months ago. My stats were horrible across the board, but my transition was up to 50° steep and 22° out to in. This is has been a life long issue and have always been a high spin player. IMG_5167.jpeg.b6d9619acc9390eddd160545522de905.jpegIMG_5169.jpeg.bdf5b2dfdb1947f5fe30ae1b446f214b.jpeg

Most of my equipment has been geared towards low spin. Ping G430LST driver, G425 LST 3w on Low spin shafts. I have a SIM2 Max that I absolutely hated because it would balloon. Back to this in a minute. 

Over the past few months I’ve worked hard to sort out these swing issues. 

As you can see I have almost ideal swing averages now. Although I could definitely use more speed. A few months ago, the performance of my Ping clubs just dropped off. I didn’t really think it through, just went to the bench and put in some other players. Suddenly the SIM2 Max was out performing the G430 LST. I swapped out my irons and everything but my putter. 

Wednesday, I decided to take the Pings out for perhaps a farewell tour. The first 2 driver holes were abysmal. Low launch, no spin, bouncers. I mean like 100 yard carry and 120 yards of roll. On one hole I skipped it twice across the lake and still got 60 yards of roll. Then I bounced the 3 wood hole high from 229. It was more like a really long putt rather than a 3 wood.

I was amazed..I made great swings and the ball barely got in the air and fell out. This is something I have never had happen. 

I lofted these clubs to 12° and 16°. The performance drastically improved.  It’s still not ideal but after changing to a mid-launch, mid-spin shaft (VENTUS Blue) set to 12°. I’ve been longer off the tee than ever before. 

This is a work in progress, but it goes to show how important a fitting so that the equipment matches the swing. 

• 1 month later...

It’s been about 6 weeks since I posted here. About 4 weeks ago, I had my TPT shaft fitting and met Jon Sinclair. He spent some time “fixing my swing”.  

I learned a lot. Not so much on that day, he simply told me where my strengths and weaknesses were and how to fix it. In the weeks since I’ve watched a number of his talks with Larry Rinker about lower, mid, and upper core golfers.

80% of golfers are upper core, as am I. The short version is all these open hips, stronger grips, more body turn instructions were not only were hard on my body, but I was never going to achieve great results. It was actually slowing my swing rather than speeding it up. 

Current swing, very much like my swing from 7 years ago before I tried to get “better”, slightly closed stance, early wrist set to 90° by pushing down the handle with the left hand, big shoulder turn to 90°, lifting the left heel, with a slight pause at the top. The slight pause was what I put in so that I had a definite top of the swing. Also, the top of the swing does not mean hands above the head. It means shoulders turned 90° with the hands shoulder high. This feels like very flat backswing. Besides, in order to build speed from a stop, I have to shift my weight. This starts with a stomping of the left heel and what can best be described as an angle change of the left elbow. The left arm is straight but I roll my lower arm a couple of degrees which flattens the club a lot , a hard turning of the left shoulder, low to high, with a slow release of the right hand starting at the top until shaft parallel, the firing the right arm as I push with the left leg and allow the club and shoulders to pull me to a full finish. 

Yeah, that’s a lot of stuff in a second and a half. But the interesting thing is that it feels natural to me, and I barely think about any of it. The moral of this story is many things that I have learned on YouTube and from 3 different instructors doesn’t apply to me. 

Jon said that studying 200 tour pros and many good amateurs on 3D Gears, there are 3 fundamentals that all good golfers do.

1. You must start the downswing with a pressure shift to the lead side.
  2. You must turn the hips while shifting. 
  3. The trail foot moves towards the target after impact. 

All the rest of the swing matches up with your natural tendencies and body type. 

I really have seen dramatic improvement with less pain than in the past couple of years. I’ve also gained back all the distance I have lost due to leg problems. Monday was my best ball striking in 7 years and would have had a great round yesterday if I wouldn’t have left 13 putts 2” short dead in the center. Very unusual for me.