True Spec iron shaft fitting with Takomo heads??

mjcreech

Does anyone have any experience with the iron shaft fitting at True Spec? As far as I know, no one fits Takomo irons. I really like their value and I think they would suit my needs. I was considering purchasing their heads only option, then taking them to True Spec to fit me into shafts. Would they use the Takomo heads in this process or would they have to pull another similar club from a fitting set to test the shafts?

Always waiting for the next best time to jump on a new piece of gear!

10 minutes ago, mjcreech said:

Does anyone have any experience with the iron shaft fitting at True Spec? As far as I know, no one fits Takomo irons. I really like their value and I think they would suit my needs. I was considering purchasing their heads only option, then taking them to True Spec to fit me into shafts. Would they use the Takomo heads in this process or would they have to pull another similar club from a fitting set to test the shafts?

They would be unable to use the heads you provide since they don’t have the connector installed for the shafts and glueing them isn’t a viable solution during a fitting.   If they don’t have those heads, they would use something similar; which should still get you a good shaft fit.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

So the way most places fit including i believe True Spec is they have adaptors that are on the head and shafts that allow them to quickly swap them out. I believe the process actually removes material from the head to attach the adaptor. I doubt they will do that on the spot. 

I think if your looking at the 101T test the P770.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

On 4/27/2023 at 11:35 AM, pozzit said:

I think if your looking at the 101T test the P770.

Perfect, that's very helpful! Any comps to the 101?

On 4/27/2023 at 11:33 AM, cnosil said:

They would be unable to use the heads you provide since they don’t have the connector installed for the shafts and glueing them isn’t a viable solution during a fitting.   If they don’t have those heads, they would use something similar; which should still get you a good shaft fit.  

Makes sense, I figured it would be something like that!

Always waiting for the next best time to jump on a new piece of gear!

I would probably say P790 is closest but I have not actually hit or compared but it looks like the target model/style they are going for.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

2 hours ago, mjcreech said:

Perfect, that's very helpful! Any comps to the 101?

The p790, Ping i525 and pxg 0311 are all hollowed bodies and having hit them all, there as differences between them in feel, sound and even with the same shaft different launch characteristics.

There is nothing to say what we shaft you tested in any of those would translate to working in the takomo 101.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 11:20 AM, mjcreech said:

I had a similar situation with a used set of clubs and wanted to replace the shafts. It's a much more expensive than you think to get a fitting based on shafts and having the fitter order and build your irons. From experience, it can be in the neighborhood of $7-800 for $25 shafts. Obviously it is very dependent on the place that builds the club. I would recommend an iron fitting at a place that utilizes the Mizuno Optimizer. After 3 swings you'll get shaft recommendations and I'd hit the top 3-5 and focus on how they feel and the numbers generated. Mizuno will have a similar club head for you to demo. The Optimizer will also give loft and lie recommendations as well. Then order the shaft closest to what Takomo offers with length and lie adjustments if needed. Worst case scenario is you get them re-shafted and can sell your iron shafts from Takomo. I've always been surprised at how much it costs to have shafts ordered and installed. I've had the fitter order them and build them and I've bought shafts off of Golf Works and both scenarios were more expensive than I expected. 

Driver: TSR3 9* @ 8.25 B1 setting / Fujikura VC Red 6x / 45.25 inches

3 Wood: TM Sim 2 Ti 13* / Diamana WB 50ct 8x / 43.5 inches

Hybrid: Callaway Apex UW 19* / Hzrdus Black RDX 80g 6.5 flex / 40.5 inches

Irons: Titleist T100 - 4 iron Modus Tour 3 120x 1.5* flat / AP2 - 5-P irons Modus Tour 3 120x 1.5* flat

Wedges: SM9 46 F10 bent to 48 F12, SM9 54 D12, SM9 58 M08 / 48* Modus Tour 3 120x2* flat / 54* and 58* S400 shaft 2* flat

Ball: Titleist ProV1

• 2 months later...
On 4/27/2023 at 10:20 AM, mjcreech said:

This is the exact route I went after some research. I got the head only option of the 101's and picked up a set of DG120's since I had been fit into them at PXG at two different fittings. If you get fit into similar style irons from fitters, if they do it right your shaft specs will translate to other heads of the same type (PD to PD, GI to GI, etc). So a TM P790 fitting should translate to the 101's. Pay particular attention to length and lie angle in case that needs adjusting on the 101's as they're built. I had to add 1/4" to the length and 1* up on the lie.

Most local shops will charge around $20/club to build them if you have the head, shaft, and grip. They may also have a $3-5 per club grip install cost as well. They might lower the cost if you buy the shaft and/or grip from them as well. Just depends on the shop. I got everything I wanted and the custom grips and ferrules for less than what a big OEM would charge for off the rack sets.

Takomo101.jpg

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!