Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Driver Shaft Torque Questions

Hey all!  This is probably a loaded question, but I'm trying to get a general sense of what sort of torque I should be considering for my swing speed.

Average Swing Speed is 101, however, I have gotten it to 104 (plenty of advil, finally loosened up after a couple holes played).   In general though it's 101, with minimal effort.  Naturally I'm working on trying to achieve more speed through a combination of flexibility training and speed training.  My goal is 110 driver swing speed, HOWEVER, I certainly may never get there being 50 years old.  A still shaft is generally a good spot for me to be in, but not all stiff shafts are the same of course.

Assuming I keep my 101 speed, and possibly get it to an average of 105 or so, what sort of torque numbers would you think I should possibly consider?  The shaft I play now is 60grams and has a 3.5 torque.  It supposedly has a low launch, low spin.  Just wondering if maybe at 101-105 swing speed might be better suited towards something with a higher torque.  I just wanted to find out if there's a general rule of thumb on torque ratings by swing speed.  Thanks!

Driver:  Titleist TSR2, 10 deg, HZRDUS Black 4G 60S
3W: Titlest TSR2, 16.5 deg HL, HZRDUS Black 4G 60S
7W:  Titleist TSR2, 20.25 deg, Tensei AV Blue 65 S
9W:  Titleist TSR1 , 23 deg, Tensei AV Blue 65S
5-7: Sub70 659CB  /  8-GW:  Sub70 659TC / SW-LW:  Sub70 JB Full Groove Raw 55* - 60*
Putter:  Bell Putters (Bell II 410 gram)
Ball:  Vice, Cut, whatever 3-piece is on sale

40 minutes ago, ReefDonkey said:

Hey all!  This is probably a loaded question, but I'm trying to get a general sense of what sort of torque I should be considering for my swing speed.

Average Swing Speed is 101, however, I have gotten it to 104 (plenty of advil, finally loosened up after a couple holes played).   In general though it's 101, with minimal effort.  Naturally I'm working on trying to achieve more speed through a combination of flexibility training and speed training.  My goal is 110 driver swing speed, HOWEVER, I certainly may never get there being 50 years old.  A still shaft is generally a good spot for me to be in, but not all stiff shafts are the same of course.

Assuming I keep my 101 speed, and possibly get it to an average of 105 or so, what sort of torque numbers would you think I should possibly consider?  The shaft I play now is 60grams and has a 3.5 torque.  It supposedly has a low launch, low spin.  Just wondering if maybe at 101-105 swing speed might be better suited towards something with a higher torque.  I just wanted to find out if there's a general rule of thumb on torque ratings by swing speed.  Thanks!

Torque is not related to swing speed.  Torque is about feel; which influences how you deliver the club to the ball.   A slow swing speed player could like a really boardy stiff feel (probably lower torque) and a high speed player could like a really soft feel (probably high torque).

Test the head and shaft to find the combination that works best for you and ignore things like flex and torque because they are not standard and every manufacturer measures them differently and often differently across models within the same OEM. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Torque and swing speed aren’t relavant nor is speed and flex.

These two specs also have no industry standards so you can’t compare either across brands.

When doing a fitting most fitters don’t look at swing speed when determining a shaft. They look at the swing and the output it produces such as ball speed, dynamic loft, launch, spin, apex and descent angle. They get information from golfer on what they feel and what they are trying to see in ball flight. Then based on all that they start with things like shaft weight and shaft profile. Soft tip vs stiff tip, or the stiffness of the but. They will look at flex of the shaft to see if going up or down in that line is a better fit.

Take your shaft to a pro shop that will let you demo other shafts and compare them on a monitor and see what works best for you

Torque’s main role in todays shafts is about feel.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1