Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Filming while playing?

Kmbond

What are people’s thoughts about filming on the course? 

For those of you who do film, how do you hold your phones? And do you use external microphones for better sound? And what programs or apps do you use for video editing? 

One parting random thought/question - who is the coolest or most interesting person you’ve ever played with and why? Share your stories! 

WITB: Sim2 driver and 3W, SimMax 4H (I LOVE this club), AP2 irons (4-50), Tommy Armour wedges (56 and 60), Kirkland KS1 putter (and I’ll have to admit I love this putter and have tried lots of different ones over the last few years) 

• 2 weeks later...

I have done some brief filming while playing. I try to choose a quiet time at the course where I’m not being intrusive. It really only takes a tripod for your phone.  I’ve used the “Shot Tracer” app in the past. I don’t post these often, but it definitely helps me see when I’m coming over the top. Lol

I recently purchased some Maybesta wireless mics that work with my phone from Amazon. I have not used them on the course but I’ve used them for other videos. They are ok. The best wireless mics for phones are the Rode Wireless Go II. We have them for our students to do interviews and press conferences. 

Best advice is to get out there and start filming! You can create content for a very minimal initial investment! 

Edited by radiorichg

Rich Green

• 5 weeks later...

Great question about filming on the course! I think filming your golf games can be incredibly helpful for a variety of reasons. It's a fantastic way to review your technique, share your experiences with friends or social media, and, hey, who doesn't want to capture that rare hole-in-one moment?
As for editing, there are a lot of options. If you're looking for free video editing software with no watermark, you might want to consider options like DaVinci Resolve, HitFilm Express, or Lightworks. These programs offer a broad range of features, from basic cuts to more advanced color grading and audio editing. I personally use this free video editing software no watermark most of the time. It's easy-to-use and can do a lot of things.

Edited by Dinanywor

I filmed 4 holes on a cool rainy day last year.  Mostly to see how my swing works when I'm not grooving a range session.  I have no illusions (nor do I have the game) to be a golf influencer.   Just left the phone on the tripod, set it down where I was lining up the shot and off I went.  The factors I'd consider if I did it again would be that it would be preferable to do it when I went out on my own and that it would not affect pace of play.  

As far as editing, I just used the google standard software to cut clips to length (you can do this inside an editor, but it can be cumbersome), shot tracer for the ball paths, and a free phone editing software (Power Director).  Took me about an hour while I was waiting for my daughter to fall asleep.  It could have been faster if I'd used PC where I'd used Davinci Resolve (Also totally free).  

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

There are so many products out there now for making filming easy on the course and relatively quick.  I don't use any mics but I'm also not trying to make talking content when filming.  It's typically to see what I am doing right/wrong with my swing.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

• 2 months later...

I've started filming my swing fairly regularly since I've started my swing change process earlier this year. I still haven't gotten comfortable filming on the course, but I film on the driving range with a tripod. I also bought a new wireless mic from Fulaim on Amazon that I've used for some social media videos. They're a bit more budget-friendly but compare to the DJI or Rode Wireless set.

I think for me it's just about getting over the initial hump of breaking out a tripod while playing with a group. Sometimes I'll have my playing partners film a tee shot for me, but it always feels embarrassing. I know my friends don't care either way, but it feels like I'm putting them out by asking them to be my videographer for a few moments.

This upcoming year I'd like to film more content on the course and be more comfortable breaking out the tripod while I play. I think it'll help with my swing journey and I enjoy making the videos to share with others.

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425  Max 9.0º, Graphite Design Tour AD VR-6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º, Ventus Red 7S, image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR1 5 wood 18º, Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW Blue 65S

Driving Iron: image.png G425 Crossover 2-iron 18º, Aldila Rogue 95TS Graphite 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: image.png.2a889a80c6a733b582bbac9dbc3cecf2.png California Del Mar, 34.5 Sweet Rollz "Safari" Midsize Grip

Ball: image.png.52cb58764bddc9c00ba3060db6a87cc7.png Tour B XS

I just bought this (as a combined bday/xmas present to myself with some $ from in-laws - thanks Aunt Gina! 🙂 ) thing, specifically with the intent of starting to film more content on the golf course.  It weighs practically nothing, I can mount it to a selfie stick/tripod, it has auto-tracking and it comes (if you buy the "creator combo" like I did) bundled with an absurdly good wireless microphone where the receiver is built into the camera/gimbal unit itself.  The footage so far is kind of mind-blowing - here's a clip of me chasing my kids around the house - I was legit running as fast as I could and I'm not sure there was even one "bounce" in the footage.  It has a 1" sensor, which is significantly larger than the one in a cell-phone, and the lens used on it is also a significant upgrade over a cell phone.  Please note: I love (!) my iPhone, but there are things it can't do as well, so this felt like the perfect entry point into "vlogging".  I'll be bringing it with me to Palm Springs in 2 weeks to get a bunch of footage of me and my two buddies on our very first Golf Trip, so I'll be sure to come back here and update you as to ease of use/quality, etc., along with some (hopefully) videos that make you laugh.  

https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-pocket-3?from=store-nav&vid=153291

In the limited use so far, this thing is a homerun.  Also! It films in both horizontal (my preferred) and vertical (for Insta/Tik-Tok/Socials).  

image.png

Here's the vid of the kids

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

The only time I've ever videoed myself is in conjunction with the Rapsodo MLM launch monitor on the "batting cage" of a range our course has.  I saw enough that it convinced me that taking any more images would not add any value and only depress me.  On the course, I get the feeling I wouldn't have the time or the extra brain drain to do justice to taking videos.  Focused too much on the next shot that to care about my surroundings.

As far as playing with anyone cool or interesting.  Just by playing with me, my playing partners are certainly not cool (guilt by association)!  As far as interesting?  I can say with a high degree of confidence that I have not played golf with anyone that most would consider interesting.  I tend to play with mostly friends and people I know and they tend to be just the opposite.  I've played on more often on cool courses under interesting situations than people.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

• 2 months later...

I think filming on the course can add an exciting dimension to the game, capturing those memorable shots and maybe even helping to improve your technique when you review the footage later.

When I film, I usually use a tripod with a smartphone mount to keep the shots steady, and yes, an external microphone can really help pick up clear sound, especially on windy days.

For editing, I’ve had a great experience with this user-friendly video editor that makes cutting and splicing clips together super easy, plus adding music or commentary. The most interesting person I’ve ever played with was a local club champion who had some amazing stories about tournaments and famous golfers he'd met. His tips on the mental game were as invaluable as the footage I got that day.

Edited by ronini

On 8/28/2023 at 2:54 PM, radiorichg said:

I try to choose a quiet time at the course where I’m not being intrusive.

This is the key. The only time I noticed it happening was when the course was packed and these jabronis in front of us were setting up a tripod on every green while we were waiting to hit.

Don't be those guys.

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto