Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Instruction: Fix a swing or change to an industry standard

Most of today's golf instruction is about changing an individual's imperfections; whether it is snatching the club inside on the backswing, reverse pivot, sway etc. Wouldn't it be better if instruction was based on an ideal swing? AMG has many videos on AM's vs Pro comparisons. I know there's no secret swing in golf. But, I think we'd better served if we can model our swings closer to better players swings. Hopefully, this makes sense. Thx.

Edited by NC Golfer

10 minutes ago, NC Golfer said:

But, I think we'd better served if we can model our swings closer to better players swings. Hopefully, this makes sense. Thx.

It is entirely possible to do this, but most people don't want to put in the necessary dedication to completely convert their swing to match an ideal model swing.  Add in to that the fact that some people have limitations that prevent them from matching the model.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Good perspective @cnosil ! As a senior golfer, I have physical limitations (knee, shoulder and back pain) and if I were told to get my shoulders to 90 degrees and hips turned to 45 degrees in the backswing, I just can't do it at the moment or maybe never.

I guess the quick fix is what the majority of golfers are looking for.

Edited by NC Golfer

38 minutes ago, NC Golfer said:

I guess the quick fix is what the majority of golfers are looking for.

Its nearly impossible to make a large number of changes simultaneously.  To me, a good instructor will identify the single most important change that a player should make, and help the player with images and drills to accomplish that change.  That's not a quick fix necessarily, it may still take weeks or months to ingrain a revised movement.  Once the player has that change under control, its time to move to the next most important change to make.  All of this will move the player towards that so-called ideal swing, but most of us will never make it.

While  I DO think there are some consistent commonalities among the swings of good players, I don't believe there's a single ideal swing.  Even given full body functionality, different body types and strength levels will swing differently.   I actually think way too much of the "canned" instruction for the masses pushes players towards some instructors' ideas of "ideal", and that's not going to be helpful to significant percentages of players.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia