Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Pinehurst no. 2!

ParPatrol

I’m very excited to be playing Pinehurst next month! Playing 8, 4, and 2. This is my first time making a trip to Pinehurst and would really appreciate any advice/tips for how to make the most of it. Thanks in advance! 

Mostly PING G425 at the moment 

• 4 weeks later...

I am playing Pinehurst No. 2 this weekend (along with no. 3 and no. 4), can anyone comment on the wire grass (grass in the waste areas on No. 2, primarily) and how penal it is? Just curious because the landing areas are wide (like 50-60 yds) but the fairway is only about 30 yds wide. So if the wire grass eats balls, I may not want to pull driver on a lot of these holes. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

^^ I just played #4 in mid Dec (same area) and I didn't notice anything exceptionally penal in the rough. According to this source, there is no rough on #2?

Removal of rough- All rough was eliminated, establishing two heights of grass: greens and everything else.

https://nolayingup.com/blog/first-look-at-pinehurst-no-2-restoration

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

@Middler Thanks! I agree, there doesn't seem to be any "rough", the wire grass is the little plants that grow in and around the waste areas. This is what I am talking about:

image.png.503f55b3d5cfe0edc8a2229fe229a39e.png

I am just curious if these eat a lot of golf balls or if you have to get pretty unlucky to get stuck in it. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

On 2/5/2024 at 1:04 PM, Spanky said:

Make sure to play the cradle with a cold one in hand! It’s right outside the gift shop and the perfect place to wind down after a full 18.

And also Thistle Dhu, the putting complex behind the club house. Have spend many hours shoeless with a beverage in hand around the putting course. 

Driver - Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*

3 wood - Taylormade Sim  2 Max 15* - 

5 wood - Taylormade Sim 2 19*- 

4-PW - Mizuno 921 Hot Metal Pro

50*/54*/58* - Vokey SM9

Putter - Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

On 2/5/2024 at 12:40 PM, ParPatrol said:

I’m very excited to be playing Pinehurst next month! Playing 8, 4, and 2. This is my first time making a trip to Pinehurst and would really appreciate any advice/tips for how to make the most of it. Thanks in advance! 

I am in a group of guys who have been going down for the last 15 years, it has changed a lot and there are a ton of really cool bars and restaurants to check out while you're down there. The Sly Fox in southern pines is an all time favorite, great food and tons of drink options. Would also suggest checking out Reds Corner Trucks and Taps. They have all kids of different food trucks and a bar area for drinks. They usually have pretty decent music as well. A great off-the-wall breakfast spot is the Pinehurst race track. Enjoy  your trip!

Driver - Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*

3 wood - Taylormade Sim  2 Max 15* - 

5 wood - Taylormade Sim 2 19*- 

4-PW - Mizuno 921 Hot Metal Pro

50*/54*/58* - Vokey SM9

Putter - Bettinardi Studio Stock #8