My Evnroll Counterbalance Journey

DukeStKing

Posted (edited)

Not sure why Evnroll didn’t make  the new NEO line of putters compatible with their V Series interchangeable shafts, but there must be a reason. When I saw they introduced a counterbalanced version of their Neo putters, I got the idea of “making” one for my ER5.2, which has the interchangeable shafts. I ordered a Midlock shaft (40 inch) with the new counterbalanced grip. I asked them (Andrew was very helpful) to put a short slant hosel on instead of the Midlock hosel. I already had the 34 gram head weight, which I could switch out on my 34 inch (21.5 gram) standard putter. And here it is:

IMG_8068.jpeg.370dc81d93e0107758b5f0e8cb16a0d0.jpeg

First time out I couldn’t get used to the heavy head- I needed more counter balanced weight. So I installed a tour lock 75 gram weight in the butt end:

IMG_8069.jpeg.2643f7b7272ff661786c83f6764445a8.jpeg

Boom- it’s magic; so steady and easy to swing. Absolutely deadly from short range. I’ve been on the practice green all weekend getting used to lag putting and I feel like I’m where I’m usually at with my lags- above average. 
My second round was better- I was one under my average of 31 putts. I so enjoyed it from close range- the extra head weight (380 grams) was no longer a problem with the counter weight. On the contrary, I can feel the extra forgiveness on some of my poorer strikes. The beautiful thing is that if this go stale or I have a bad stretch, I just switch out the weights and the shaft and I have a standard putter again- so I have 2 putters with the same exact feel off the face. 
IMG_8071.jpeg.589f6d53c87e5eef77a2d411268ab0fd.jpeg

Edited by DukeStKing

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

• DukeStKing changed the title to My Evnroll Counterbalance Journey

So I’m 4 rounds in with my Counterbalanced Evnroll and my results are mixed. On the practice green I’ve been great, so I see the potential. But on the course I’ve been burning edges, but not making a significant number of 1 putts. I had an exceptional ball striking 9 and only converted 1 birdie and ended up 1 over. Yesterday, I burned a bunch of edges from distance, but not one fell. It’s frustrating to be stroking the ball well and make slight misreads. The counterbalance feels great as long as I keep a gentle grip and let the putter “swing itself.” I ran into trouble when I felt myself forcing it with my right hand. My putter plays at 40 inches and I place my hands just below the “38” graphic on the grip- this set-up really allows me to feel the weight above the hands and in the head  and I get a effortless swing feel (like the putter is swinging itself). I really thought all the weight would make lag putting difficult, but that really hasn’t been the case. I’m going to give the counterbalance a couple more chances before I switch back with my standard shaft, which to some degree is also counterbalanced because I use the Gravity Grip. I’m reluctant to switch back because I really love the feel of the counterbalanced set-up, but if I don’t start seeing some rounds in the low 30’s, I’ll have to switch back because the more standard set-up had me there often. 

• 2 weeks later...

Three more rounds in with the counterbalanced putter and I just can’t go back to the standard. I tried the standard on the practice green and it just felt too light now. I felt like it was wobbling on the way back in my stroke- not smooth like with the counterbalance. I’m still around 35 putts on average, but that is more of a product of not having many one putt opportunities, which has been a problem with my approaches or chipping. Conversely, the longer lag putts I’ve had to make are either working out well or when I come up short or blow it by, I’ve been able to convert with the very stable counterbalanced putter. I really noticed this playing at my friend’s club (I play on Muni’s) with the super fast greens. The private club greens are so much easier to putt on because of how true they roll. I’m thinking I will go back to my standard set-up next round just to confirm what I was feeling on the practice green. 

It’s difficult when changing putters to get the consistency you want, especially with only 7 rounds over a 3 week period.  You’ve noticed that the putter feels different, and that can alter your putting stroke… even though you might not think it has.  Your body will make compensations for the difference.

I switched to a counterbalanced Ping putter (400g head weight) in 2017 after being fit for it at Ping HQ.  Even though it performed great at the fitting, it still took me several months to get the feel for it on the course for both short and long putts.  I spent hours on the practice green.  I play on a muni, but the greens are smooth and roll about 11-12 on the stimp.  All my practice was at my course.  Playing at different courses with different green speeds will also take more time.  I developed a slight lower body movement when making a stroke.  Fortunately my coach saw it and I have used a drill to fix it; still use the drill prior to practicing and before playing a round.

Besides the 7 rounds, I assume that you are making many trips to the practice green and performing drills for alignment and speed.  It sounds like you are close to making a lot of putts if you are burning edges.  I would give it more time and more drills.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Posted (edited)

Not sure what’s going on at my home (muni) course, but they let the greens grow out and it’s like putting on a shag rug. It could be that after playing at a private (oh, it’s very private) country club, I can’t seem to go back. Anyway, I digress from the point of the thread- bringing to back now. The extra weight of the counterbalanced set-up makes it harder for me to putt on the shag. I went back to my standard set-up and was happy with the results. While I had 35 putts, a couple of 3 putts were the result of some bad approaches- I had a 50 foot uphill putt on the 3rd hole… I’m not sure what the conventional wisdom is, but I really like the heavy putter on fast greens- keeps my stroke very steady. The lighter putter works better on slow greens for me. Plus, I missed the feel of the gravity grip. As a former tennis player, it feels like hitting a top spin forehand using a continental grip (I digressed again). Anyway it could have been the 20 foot eagle putt I sunk that really changed my mind… I don’t know. 

Edited by DukeStKing

• 2 weeks later...

I alternated between my standard shaft and long counterbalanced most of this season- it’s about even now in number of rounds. I have to say it’s just a wash- one is not significantly better for me than the other. So, I have both and I feel like when I play very fast greens the additional weight of the counterbalanced keeps my stroke smoother, but on my usual muni home course I can alternate since it’s been pretty even. If anything changes, I will write updates. But over the past month of playing often and practicing more than usual with both, I have to say my conclusion as to whether counterbalanced putters are the way to go is definitively inconclusive… sorry. 

9 hours ago, DukeStKing said:

I have to say my conclusion as to whether counterbalanced putters are the way to go is definitively inconclusive… sorry. 

Have you used the lighter weight in the putter with the counterbalance since that is the weight you use in the standard length?   I am wondering if you have built two putters with the same “feel” which is why they perform the same.    I’d also try the backweight in the short putter to counterbalance that putter since it would pace the weight at your hands and not above.   I know when I did an Edel fitting years ago they put weight at my lower hand on the grip and that helped my performance with that putter.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

38 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Have you used the lighter weight in the putter with the counterbalance since that is the weight you use in the standard length?   I am wondering if you have built two putters with the same “feel” which is why they perform the same.    I’d also try the backweight in the short putter to counterbalance that putter since it would pace the weight at your hands and not above.   I know when I did an Edel fitting years ago they put weight at my lower hand on the grip and that helped my performance with that putter.  

The standard set-up is with a Gravity Grip, which sort of makes it counterbalanced- it’s just the weight is on the underside of the grip and hands instead of on top. My 40 inch counterbalanced set-up create a heavier putter which does give me more stability (which is what I like on faster greens) and thus a different feel. I do like your suggestion of experimenting more with the head weight- for that I would also remove the weight in the butt end as I don’t like a putter that feels too light in the head. It would be interesting to see what happens if I lower the total weight and see what happens. 

59 minutes ago, DukeStKing said:

I don’t like a putter that feels too light in the head. 

Based on that statement, I would say counterbalancing probably isn’t something for you.  I am interested in counterbalancing because I like the feel of weight in my hands.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well wouldn’t you know it- just when I figured I was giving up on the counterbalance experiment, I went to the practice green this week and was working on my follow through- specifically, “following” the ball with the putter head. That swing key really got me in a groove, so I played today with the counterbalanced shaft in my Evnroll EV 5.2 and had 33 putts with no 3 putts. I drained some really nice medium range and long range putts as well. I just don’t want to give up on the steady feeling I get with the extra weight. Finally, had a really good day with counterbalance, so I’m back. 

• 2 months later...

Now that I’ve stuck with the counterbalance for most of the season, I’ve become very used to it and do not see myself putting the regular shaft back in. I’ve been sub 34 in every round for the past two months. Had some great rounds too- 12 putts on 9 holes the last time out. Was a little off at the end of the summer because I was aiming right of the hole, but I’ve gotten that worked out for now. Played today and has 32 putts with some real nice par saves and 12 foot plus one putts. I did switch the 75 gram weight in the butt end out for 60 grams because I wanted a little more head weight as the greens have gotten slower. I’m very glad I stuck with my experiment as it will now be my go-to set-up.