Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

Hitting No offset

I've played standard clubs my whole life due to just not being willing to drop the big money to gain a stroke or two.  Never even really paid attention to offset, reflecting back I'd guess my CG1s were not much offset and my first sets in the 1980's were probably not offset.  I recently acquired a set of forged clubs that are more of a player's club.  I know they aren't offset much if at all.... question is what should I adjust?  I'm literally 2 rounds in so I'd like to make the adjustments soon if needed.  I am a pretty consistent iron player with a tendency to draw naturally.

Driver: Wilson Staff D9 10.5deg Reg Flex Sensi shaft

Irons: 4 and 5 Cleveland Launcher XL Reg flex, 6-SW Cobra Fly Z+ Forged Reg Flex TT Elevate Shafts

Wedge: Inazone Chrome mist 2.0 50 degree Gap

Putter: Nickent Omen #5 - 34"

Ball: Wilson Staff 50 Elite (most used)

Why do you need to adjust anything?

Are you having some issue on the course?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I was going to say the same as RickyBobby - if you really need to adjust something they aren’t the right clubs for you, 

Driver: Taylor Made Xi10 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Why do you need to adjust anything?

Are you having some issue on the course?

Seems like I am just off line, most times a little more left than normal.

18 minutes ago, revkev said:

I was going to say the same as RickyBobby - if you really need to adjust something they aren’t the right clubs for you, 

So just don't learn??  

Irons: 4 and 5 Cleveland Launcher XL Reg flex, 6-SW Cobra Fly Z+ Forged Reg Flex TT Elevate Shafts

13 minutes ago, bigperm said:

So just don't learn??  

Maybe I didn’t explain that properly - sorry - we should always be improving but the improvement should come in our swing - the clubs we play should enable that improvement not force us to change the swing to fit the equipment - if that makes sense. 

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

39 minutes ago, bigperm said:

So just don't learn??  

Offline could be alignment and not the club or it could be the swing and not the club.

or it could be the club doesn’t fit your swing and is causing and issue with your delivery.

Learn what? 

If it’s learn to make the clubs work for me then no. The clubs should be working with me, not me learning something to make them work.

Im also not learning what they do. I learned that in my fitting whether I self fit or had a fitter do it.

If learning means to get better at golf then I am learning but I’m doing it with clubs that again work with me not me working to make them work

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

32 minutes ago, bigperm said:

So just don't learn??  

With these clubs you simply end  up a dispersion pattern that is a little more left.   Don't know if it is more draw or pull but your path could be a little more toward out to in, face could be more closed at impact, or both.   Generalizing less offset would have a more open face.  I'd say offset isn't the issue but possibly club weighting and just how you hit these particular clubs   When you were getting fit/trying the clubs was the left bias showing up?   You could aim more right if you wanted too adjust the dispersion pattern

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thinking of this do you practice with alignment sticks? 

Spend a few minutes and dollars with a pro.  If you got this far, you say you are a 12, without a teacher, then that's great.  I don't want to criticize, especially as I see you just joined Spy.  But I am amazed at times that golfers with good scores ask people they have never met for swing advice.

Drv: PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex; and 2004 Callaway 454 Ti 10 deg on RCH 65 regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body now (June 2024) on Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno 2017 version JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 Mizuno S5 52/09.  One bent up 2 degrees, one bent down 2 degrees.😍.  And a 60 deg Mizu T7.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃

5 hours ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

Spend a few minutes and dollars with a pro.  If you got this far, you say you are a 12, without a teacher, then that's great.  I don't want to criticize, especially as I see you just joined Spy.  But I am amazed at times that golfers with good scores ask people they have never met for swing advice.

Well going to an instructor you never met is the samething.

Depsite your disbelief there are people on forums who are either teachers, working in becoming a teacher, and some who understand the the swing and want to help people get better.

All are usually better options than the ones who try to go it alone with little to no understanding of the swing and end up creating different bad habits and prolonging th journey to getting better

10 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Offline could be alignment and not the club or it could be the swing and not the club.

or it could be the club doesn’t fit your swing and is causing and issue with your delivery.

Learn what? 

If it’s learn to make the clubs work for me then no. The clubs should be working with me, not me learning something to make them work.

Im also not learning what they do. I learned that in my fitting whether I self fit or had a fitter do it.

If learning means to get better at golf then I am learning but I’m doing it with clubs that again work with me not me working to make them work

Ok now this makes sense.... I guess I will see what changing alignment does.  I won't mess with anything too much because I feel like I'm a decent iron striker, if it's not alignment then on to a different club.

8 hours ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

You are not wrong, I should get a lesson and .... (Gasp) I've never been fit.

3 minutes ago, bigperm said:

(Gasp) I've never been fit.

Assuming this means you pick a set of clubs off the rack and hope they work.  Maybe you hit them first but no assessment of whether they work for you or performin the way you want.   As on of the MGS most wanted testers I can confirm that clubs perform differently…some are shorter, some longer, some higher launch, some lower launch, more or less spin, and as you are experiencing some go more left or right.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If you have pretty good ball flight but it is consistently left i would make sure to check the lie angle and see if it is too upright for your swing.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Assuming this means you pick a set of clubs off the rack and hope they work.  Maybe you hit them first but no assessment of whether they work for you or performin the way you want.   As on of the MGS most wanted testers I can confirm that clubs perform differently…some are shorter, some longer, some higher launch, some lower launch, more or less spin, and as you are experiencing some go more left or right.  

I don't even pick my clubs off a rack.
I buy them online without even seeing them first, much less trying them.
My experience is that they usually look just like they do in the photographs.

This is by no means to be construed as non-recognition of the benefits of custom-fitting.
I can't see how custom fitting from a competent professional wouldn't make a significant difference.       

I just, for some inexplicable reason, dread the process.  

Since this will be just one more year that I don't qualify for the Senior Open, 
I'll stay in my comfort zone,
but I think that if modern, hi-tech club-fitting were the norm when I was young,
I may likely have tried it then, if I could afford it..  

in flux

1 hour ago, bigperm said:

Ok now this makes sense.... I guess I will see what changing alignment does.  I won't mess with anything too much because I feel like I'm a decent iron striker, if it's not alignment then on to a different club.

Before moving onto a different club there are things that can be done.

Alignment, grip, setup. Check all the basic stuff.

Then for a very cheap price get a dry erase or sharpie marker and draw a line on 3-4 balls. Make sure the clubface will hit the line. Use this to check to ensure you have the proper lie angle.

If going the different club route I would suggest getting fit so that you save time and money by not having to tinker and get used to the club or constantly having to make the swing work

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Well going to an instructor you never met is the samething.

Depsite your disbelief there are people on forums who are either teachers, working in becoming a teacher, and some who understand the the swing and want to help people get better.

All are usually better options than the ones who try to go it alone with little to no understanding of the swing and end up creating different bad habits and prolonging th journey to getting better

Hi RickBob, well, I know there are very good golfers here.  But I have SOME faith in the guys who teach for a living in person.  The fitter/teacher gotta see the body, the face, the person, the swings, in person , if it's my money.  I would rather waste money on one fitting that didn't work for me, compared to buying a set of clubs.  I never went back for a 2nd lesson 3 times before I had a lesson that I signed on for the series. 

Drv: PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex; and 2004 Callaway 454 Ti 10 deg on RCH 65 regular flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body now (June 2024) on Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

Wedges: 2 Mizuno S5 52/09.  One bent up 2 degrees, one bent down 2 degrees.😍.  And a 60 deg Mizu T7.

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃

3 hours ago, RetiredBoomer said:

I don't even pick my clubs off a rack.
I buy them online without even seeing them first, much less trying them.
My experience is that they usually look just like they do in the photographs.

This is by no means to be construed as non-recognition of the benefits of custom-fitting.
I can't see how custom fitting from a competent professional wouldn't make a significant difference.       

I just, for some inexplicable reason, dread the process.  

Since this will be just one more year that I don't qualify for the Senior Open, 
I'll stay in my comfort zone,
but I think that if modern, hi-tech club-fitting were the norm when I was young,
I may likely have tried it then, if I could afford it..  

I was kind of stubborn too.  Didn't take a lesson for a while, tho I had many injuries.  I rejected 3 teachers where I had 1 free lesson, and didn't achieve anything.  Then I had 2 short lesson sessions and signed up and am very happy.  Talk to a professional for 5 minutes to measure for your personality. 

1 hour ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

Hi RickBob, well, I know there are very good golfers here.  But I have SOME faith in the guys who teach for a living in person.  The fitter/teacher gotta see the body, the face, the person, the swings, in person , if it's my money.  I would rather waste money on one fitting that didn't work for me, compared to buying a set of clubs.  I never went back for a 2nd lesson 3 times before I had a lesson that I signed on for the series. 

Actually the good instructors can do it with just video and feedback given to the student. There are plenty of examples around the internet of students making progress and significantly dropping their handicap with just submitting videos to their instructor then get feedback 24-48 hours, rinse and repeat over time.

obviously for a fitter in person is needed but there are fitters who could do a virtual fitting using a system like zoom and knowing want shafts and clubs the golfer has at their disposal.

Now some people need to be in person to learn but to say that is necessary just isn’t accuracy and is very short sighted.

On 6/5/2024 at 2:02 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Actually the good instructors can do it with just video and feedback given to the student. There are plenty of examples around the internet of students making progress and significantly dropping their handicap with just submitting videos to their instructor then get feedback 24-48 hours, rinse and repeat over time.

obviously for a fitter in person is needed but there are fitters who could do a virtual fitting using a system like zoom and knowing want shafts and clubs the golfer has at their disposal.

Now some people need to be in person to learn but to say that is necessary just isn’t accuracy and is very short sighted.

I feel like it really could be my alignment after doing some research.

7 hours ago, bigperm said:

I feel like it really could be my alignment after doing some research.

What have you looked at and what from that gives you the conclusion it’s your alignment?