New bag recommendations

bnsn

Hey all. I’m looking for a new bag. I primarily ride, occasionally walk with a push cart. I carried once this year. So that said, I have a stand bag, it’s old and heavy, I definitely did not enjoy carrying it. I was thinking of either a cart bag or a nice stand bag that works well with carts like the Ping Hoofer 14 (it has cart strap pass through among other features). 

Any recommendations? I’m all over the place. The Vessel, Ghost, Sun Mountain, and Ping cart bags all look nice. Seems like Vessel is the most recommended. Costco also has the Stitch cart bag for cheap, but it seems like a hassle to use with a big pocket on one side and the smaller pockets being either tight or in bad spots. 

Thanks!

Driver: TaylorMade Qi10 10.5° - Mitsubishi Diamana 60S

Fairway: PXG 3W 15°

Hybrid: PXG 3H 19° and 4H 22°

Irons: PXG 0211 DC 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Black Onyx 105 R

Wedges: Titleist SM9 52°/56°

Putter: LAB Mezz.1 Max

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Bag: Callaway Stand Bag from ~2000 - needs to be replaced as it's heavy and has a lot of wear

I recently went through looking for a cart bag/everyday use bag, something that can and does hold everything I need so I just have to grab the bag and head to the range. I ended up deciding on a Sun Mountain C130 as it had all the storage & functionality that I wanted, plus several Quality of Life options that made things easier for me, and this is my go-to new bag suggestion for anyone that asks.

From my experience with this process though, I'd recommend thinking about what you want most out of the bag, such as carrying capacity, functionality, durability, etc. and then go to like a PGATSS or Golf Galaxy or mega-golf shop near you, then just look at and play with all the bags they have on the floor to see what options you love, like, and absolutely hate. This is what I did and it very quickly helped me determine bags & features that just were not going to work for me. 

I realized after looking at the various bags, that if it did not have a cart strap pass-through for the side & front pockets (so the cart strap didn't block the pocket zippers at all) that it was out; this led to eliminating the latest OGIO bags for me, as I like the brand and their stylings, but they didn't have this feature which defeats the purpose of having a good new cart bag for me. I found that a magnetic flip-top front pocket was what I wanted for my rangefinder and a deep shag-bag like ball pocket on bottom was a must. Found some bags had magnetic top-access into pockets which was a cool & useful feature, but not something I had to have(especially if it saved my money on the overall cost). However, interior club-area bag access was something I didn't realize was a feature that I needed, but I found I got pissed if I bag I did like did not have it (it makes too much sense for every new bag to not have this feature hidden away inside their over-sized side pockets) so it became a mandatory feature for me. Things like that will very quickly help you figure out what you can and can't live without; as well, if you found a bag that doesn't have some of the features you want so you moved past it, but some how you keep catching yourself being drawn back to it and looking it over again trying to justify harder why you don't need it, then you might have just found a top contender for your new bag even without the features you thought you needed. 

As well, do some research and look at user reviews; I found one of my top contenders, a new model PING cart bag, had a huge durability issue that repeated multiple times in the exact same spot for a good amount of reviews (the shoulder strap would detach from the bag with no way to repair/re-attach the strap after it broke, so pretty much made the bag incredibly difficult to use if it wasn't on the cart and hard to move/travel with from car to cart & back again). This also includes looking into bag sales, either in stores or online, as I found a last-year model of the C130 on sale at Carl's Golfland for about $180, because it was a not very popular dessert burnt orange/brown color, and I didn't really care too much about the color of the bag (especially if it saves me over $100).

All this to say that, if cost of the bag isn't your biggest deciding factor, then take a little time and figure out what exactly you do & don't want from the bag, and go waste 4 hours at your local adult daycare/golf shop, and have fun carrying around 27 different bags on your shoulders while doing the same lap around the store every time and making all the workers there wonder if your insane or just dedicated to getting the perfect bag for you. 

Driver:   2024 Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 9deg(wgt'd draw w/ hosel set +1&draw)
Hybrids:  2022 TSR2 - 3Hybrid(19Deg)
Irons:    2023 T790 5-9i,Pw,Aw - Dynamic Gold 115g Stiff
Wedges:   2024 Vokey SM10 55Deg(56Deg loft adj. -1) - same
Putter:   2004 Scotty Cameron Futura - 38.25", 4Deg Lie
Ball:     2020 Vice Pro, Callaway SuperHot/SuperSoft Matte

That was about the best answer I could have hoped for. You hit everything and I really appreciate it! 

Bag: Callaway Stand Bag from ~2000 - needs to be replaced as it's heavy and has a lot of wear

I'm also looking for a new bag, so it's awesome to see people's choices. I don't walk with a bag anymore unless it's a par three and I have a small Sunday Golf Loma. I was considering their bigger bags, because I do like their quality. 

I'm debating between the Sunday Ryder, or Ping Hoofer or possible spending the extra Cash and going for a Vessel Players bag or a Ghost Golf Anyday. I did message Vessel and they said they have a new bag coming out closer to the end of this year that will be replacing the Players IV? they are no longer restocking that one, other than the new limited edition colors. 

"In fact , we both tend to hold the Midwestern stoic view that genuine problems are solved with action, not pissing and moaning. If you run around sharing your feelings too much, you'll eventually arrive at a place where you're not only still screwed up, but now everyone knows about it, too." - John Gierach - Sex, Death and Fly Fishing

On 8/6/2024 at 8:36 PM, bnsn said:

Hey all. I’m looking for a new bag. I primarily ride, occasionally walk with a push cart. I carried once this year. So that said, I have a stand bag, it’s old and heavy, I definitely did not enjoy carrying it. I was thinking of either a cart bag or a nice stand bag that works well with carts like the Ping Hoofer 14 (it has cart strap pass through among other features). 

Any recommendations? I’m all over the place. The Vessel, Ghost, Sun Mountain, and Ping cart bags all look nice. Seems like Vessel is the most recommended. Costco also has the Stitch cart bag for cheap, but it seems like a hassle to use with a big pocket on one side and the smaller pockets being either tight or in bad spots. 

Thanks!

I have the Titleist hybrid 14 and its great for carts/range or walking if you want.  Also have the Ghost 14 and it's been an amazing bag.  I have cart bags but don't use them because I spend to much time at the range and want the legs so the hybrids work well for that. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I have a Ping Hoofer that’s a few years old at this point that I still love.  Not the 14, but still has 5 sections at the top.  I mostly ride, but will walk/carry if playing alone or practicing.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

On 8/8/2024 at 8:21 AM, RetiredBoomer said:

The Titleist Cart 14 and Cart 15 bags are really good, imo,
but for a sleeper, check out the Hot-Z  3.5.

I seriously appreciate you mentioning that Hot Z 3.5. Need a bag. Been looking. I went ahead and bought one of these. Before I do something stupid like spending almost 4 times as much on a Ghost Bag.

I admit there is more to it. Something like that Ghost Bag is a magnet to steal your clubs. I am looking at getting fitted for a great set of Titleist. I like the unpretentious look of this Hot Z also. Besides it having everything important at a great price. You're right. It's a sleeper.

Edited by Old New Golfer

To be candid.... I would rather walk a field with a good Bird Dog, than to walk a golf course with people. Only problem is, I can't walk.

Great suggestions, the hybrid idea sounds like a good idea. I do like the stand legs as the balancing act is not always easy. Though I saw a Ping Traverse at the pro shop and it sat with no issues in the controlled environment there. I’m going to look at some hybrid options. And the Hot Z, I don’t think I’ve heard of it. 

I play about 160 rounds almost exclusively at my home course (the next closest 18 hole course is about 140 miles away).   However, I do travel to play at times through the year.  As a result, I needed to get two bags.

We are required to ride at my home course, so I pretty much needed a cart bag as my primary bag.  After looking at a bunch of options, I ended up with the Ping Pioneer bag.  It has 15 full length dividers (I carry my orange whip in the extra slot for warming up), plenty of pockets (I like the magnetic slip pockets, insulated pockets and two lined pockets) and oversized slots for my putter.  I've had it for about a year and it's held up very well.  I was worried a bit given I chose the white color, but it still looks good and if it gets a little dirty, I just wash it off as the fabric is treated to be water repellant.

Newbag.JPG.a0ec0f505b13f5ada853bb129c8ecd8c.JPG

For travel, the Ping Pioneer is too big to fit in my Club Glove travel bag.  So, I had to get a bag specifically for travel.  Here I opted for a nice stand bag.  I took advantage of the MGS customized Jones Sports Trouper R bag promotion they had over a year ago.  I had a Jones Sports carry bag that I received as a gift 25 years prior that was still decent, but I wanted just a little additional space.  The Trouper R is the perfect size.  It's small enough to fit in my travel bag and for walking with a double strap, it fits my push cart and it work when I do ride when traveling.   It's light weight, had an insulated pocket and looks great.

MGSbagfront.jpg.3e9fe48468142ffe187b86a9456c7a3b.jpg  MGSbagside.jpg.ba047f964fed641214e2ec769f7429e6.jpg

Having both gives me the flexibility I need.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

I've got the Big Max Dri Lite Hybrid that can be found for around $200 and it's been awesome so far. Lots of ways to pick it up, very comfy on my back, doesn't move at all on my push cart, lots of pockets... I'm a big fan.

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

1 hour ago, Golf2Much said:

I play about 160 rounds almost exclusively at my home course (the next closest 18 hole course is about 140 miles away).   However, I do travel to play at times through the year.  As a result, I needed to get two bags.

We are required to ride at my home course, so I pretty much needed a cart bag as my primary bag.  After looking at a bunch of options, I ended up with the Ping Pioneer bag.  It has 15 full length dividers (I carry my orange whip in the extra slot for warming up), plenty of pockets (I like the magnetic slip pockets, insulated pockets and two lined pockets) and oversized slots for my putter.  I've had it for about a year and it's held up very well.  I was worried a bit given I chose the white color, but it still looks good and if it gets a little dirty, I just wash it off as the fabric is treated to be water repellant.

Newbag.JPG.a0ec0f505b13f5ada853bb129c8ecd8c.JPG

For travel, the Ping Pioneer is too big to fit in my Club Glove travel bag.  So, I had to get a bag specifically for travel.  Here I opted for a nice stand bag.  I took advantage of the MGS customized Jones Sports Trouper R bag promotion they had over a year ago.  I had a Jones Sports carry bag that I received as a gift 25 years prior that was still decent, but I wanted just a little additional space.  The Trouper R is the perfect size.  It's small enough to fit in my travel bag and for walking with a double strap, it fits my push cart and it work when I do ride when traveling.   It's light weight, had an insulated pocket and looks great.

MGSbagfront.jpg.3e9fe48468142ffe187b86a9456c7a3b.jpg  MGSbagside.jpg.ba047f964fed641214e2ec769f7429e6.jpg

Having both gives me the flexibility I need.

Just for discussions sake. You may very well be ahead of me. Have you considered raking fine sand into that astroturf? I understnd it makes a very realistic putting green.

To be candid.... I would rather walk a field with a good Bird Dog, than to walk a golf course with people. Only problem is, I can't walk.

1 hour ago, Old New Golfer said:

Just for discussions sake. You may very well be ahead of me. Have you considered raking fine sand into that astroturf? I understnd it makes a very realistic putting green.

My specific putting green doesn’t require adding sand.  It’s a Pro Putt system that uses interconnecting rigid plastic jigsaw puzzle pieces as the base and the carpet rolls right on top.   
it putts very true and at a very representative speed.  I also have their chipping pad for short chip to the green.  The ball checks up great on the surface and rolls out just like natural grass 

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

I’ve been very happy with my Sun Mountain C130. Good pedigree, solidly built, reasonably priced, lots of pockets, lots of color combinations, usually easy to put your hands on it at a place like Golf Galaxy, etc. 

I went back and forth with the C130s vs C130 but ultimately came to the conclusion I don’t carry the bag on the course and I appreciate the reverse slope for use on a cart.

As for it not having a stand, I got a small, very inexpensive, Sunday Golf bag for going to the range. Only holds a max of about 6 clubs or so. This has actually been great for me. I leave it set up for the range & pitching green, and just select a couple clubs to work on when I go to the range. This helps keep me focused on the range work and not just working through my full bag to hit all the clubs. Usually 2-4 range clubs, then over to the pitching green with a 1-3 wedges and the putter. A good 1-1.5 hour practice session without carrying the whole full bag around. It’s been refreshing!

Anyway, that’s what’s worked for me.

Driver:  image.png.ac16a10c2b861fff646dd08647f76d1f.png 849D
     Fuji ‘24 Ventus Blue 5R
3-5Hy:  Pinemeadow Command BK
6-PW:  image.png.e76c3a80e959f4571ac9d38b658506a0.png 699 v2
     Mitsu MMT 80g
Wedges:  image.png.bddbadf2cd48c1b40cf591e520848ebb.png MAX milled 50° (bent to 48°), 54°, 58°
     Mitsu Kuro Kage black 2G S/R
Putter:  image.jpeg.4a8b0ee0fbff31934a2e15fc68a7bfe7.jpeg King Supernova 20
     ArmLock AL2 grip
Ball:  image.png.10667a299706a9d7d3afd32e78f27847.png Pro Soft
Bag: image.png.1645cda6e679afe5a2659ddb2ecb59d1.png  C130

Wine is sunlight held together by water - Galileo 

https://askechogolf.com/products/askecho-2024-t-lock-2-0-golf-cart-bag-14-way-organizer-divider-soundless-top-navy-grey?variant=44306248695982&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5NThhZyJiAMVD2dHAR2e1Q7_EAYYASABEgKjvfD_BwE

Ask Echo cart bag. After debating on buying this bag for a few months, amazon prime day rolled around and it went on sale to $179 from $220 so I pulled the trigger. I love this thing. LOTS of pockets, including a 6 or 7 can cooler pocket with a drain hole, 2 dry valuables pockets, and something that I didn't have before, the same pockets on both sides instead of on just one side like my old TM bag. It also has the "cart strap through thing" which I didn't realize how helpful it would be until now that I have it. 

Also, the brands main feature and claim to fame is the individual club organizer and they keep the clubs locked in place so they don't clang into each other while rocking around the course (they call it "t-lock 14 way divider"). Really nice to have and keeps your clubs safe from dings and scratches. I love this thing and have gotten quite a few compliments on it since I've bought it, from friends and strangers that I've played with. I would highly suggest if still shopping around.

20240805_104835.jpg.7de9bf491ad67dc34ab6f2b0a6cf5d5e.jpg  20240805_104854.jpg.3a0795c6a594bc87f68c429cbc7f7b81.jpg20240805_104841.jpg.c9bbc917360d213ccdec18fdf2c72238.jpg

20240805_104930.jpg.1287dc7bddd487dbe1456c2da93b0e28.jpg

Driver:         :titleist-small: TSR2 10.5*
FW wood:   :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3
Hybrid:        :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 Hybrid
Irons:           :mizuno-small:  JPX921 HM 5-GW
Wedges:      :taylormade-small: Black Milled Grind 56*, :callaway-small: Sure Out 2 58*, :mizuno-small: Blue T22 60*
Putter:         :odyssey-small: AI One Milled Eight T S
Ball:              :callaway-small:  Chrome Soft triple track 
Cart:              :Clicgear: 3.0 Pushcart
Shoes:           :footjoy-small: Premieres (So damn comfy) or 
adidas.jpg.68e67ffa35e40e0c3ad8be2ba26f3df3.jpg Tour360's 
Bag:                
AskEcho.jpg.d4dbb4965bf0480bbd5a3cff553f567f.jpg  2024 T-Lock Navy Grey (I love this thing)