TaylorMade P-Series and Hi-Toe 4 Wedges - 2024 Forum Review

4 minutes ago, LeakyValve said:

I'm just hoping and praying we get some info today before the weekend. 🙏 

Same! Trying to be patient but man it's tough... ha ha.

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 Max 9* (@8*) w. Denali 60g 6.5 (XS)

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Currently Testing: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x //  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour // Maxfli Tour X

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

22 minutes ago, Indy_Oz said:

Same! Trying to be patient but man it's tough... ha ha.

Birthday came and went and I was just waiting for an email. Gonna have to pass that honor on now 

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

34 minutes ago, LeakyValve said:

I'm just hoping and praying we get some info today before the weekend. 🙏 

A Friday shipping notice email would be magical

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425 Max 9.0º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Blue Velocore 6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Red Velocore 7S

Driving Iron: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png U505 2-iron, Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85S 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: default_odyssey-small.jpg.a7dc06ee6fc9b8df09953a46df717684.jpg Ai-ONE Jailbird Mini DB 35"

Ball:  Maxfli_new(1).png.543c09044d6b6e8a80c748512567d803.png Tour X

2 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

I am not sure which is worse.   

Waiting for the shipment ...🤤

... There was a bit of a fiasco with my MGS testing the autoFlex Dream 7. Everyone else had theirs but I didn't get mine. When it finally arrived it had the wrong tip and had to be exchanged. The exchange had inexplicably been cut 1" short and I had to have another shipped. Everyone else was playing theirs and posting results. And then with a rush shipping thanks to the autoFlex rep, mine arrived. 

... I disliked it right away. The waggle felt like a Fly Rod. First several swings at the range were disastrous. First round wasn't much better. I almost regretted signing up to test this POS 🙄. But the 2nd round was better. The third was actually pretty good and by the 5th round it was magical. 🏆  It is now the only piece of equipment in my bag I just don't see changing. 

... The moral is: anticipation is so sweet. I am a big live in the moment kinda guy and try not to let things out of my control have any influence on my life. That said, anticipation gives you something positive to look forward to. So really try and enjoy this waiting time and your reward will be here soon enough. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

11 minutes ago, chisag said:

... There was a bit of a fiasco with my MGS testing the autoFlex Dream 7. Everyone else had theirs but I didn't get mine. When it finally arrived it had the wrong tip and had to be exchanged. The exchange had inexplicably been cut 1" short and I had to have another shipped. Everyone else was playing theirs and posting results. And then with a rush shipping thanks to the autoFlex rep, mine arrived. 

... I disliked it right away. The waggle felt like a Fly Rod. First several swings at the range were disastrous. First round wasn't much better. I almost regretted signing up to test this POS 🙄. But the 2nd round was better. The third was actually pretty good and by the 5th round it was magical. 🏆  It is now the only piece of equipment in my bag I just don't see changing. 

... The moral is: anticipation is so sweet. I am a big live in the moment kinda guy and try not to let things out of my control have any influence on my life. That said, anticipation gives you something positive to look forward to. So really try and enjoy this waiting time and your reward will be here soon enough. 

Completely understand what you're saying. It's like a kid's excitement for Christmas or a birthday!

I'm just keen to get as much on-course and range testing as possible before winter kicks in and courses close.

First world problems, eh?

2024 WITB:

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Currently Testing: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

Just now, Indy_Oz said:

Completely understand what you're saying. It's like a kid's excitement for Christmas or a birthday!

I'm just keen to get as much on-course and range testing as possible before winter kicks in and courses close.

First world problems, eh?

... Exactly! I hear ya and my Phoenix experience was the exact opposite of your Indiana experience. With summer and 115* days rapidly approaching at the end of May, a few rounds in low 100's* would have been nice. 

2 hours ago, chisag said:

I want to be more patient and i want it right now!!!!   😁

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

13 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

I want to be more patient and i want it right now!!!!   😁

... Pretty easy for me to say when I am playing my P770's again today and they arrived 4 days after placing my order. 🤪

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... Pretty easy for me to say when I am playing my P770's again today and they arrived 4 days after placing my order. 🤪

A whole nuther level of cruel....Ya just keep twisting the knife and karma will come a knockin' !

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest yer nether-regions!!

😀

'scuse me while i go hit refresh on my ups and fedex accounts.🥸

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

6 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

A whole nuther level of cruel....Ya just keep twisting the knife and karma will come a knockin' !

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest yer nether-regions!!

😀

'scuse me while i go hit refresh on my ups and fedex accounts.🥸

... LOL, no knife twisting intended as I have been on the other end with every MGS test when I was lucky enough to be selected. My first was T150 irons and got a call from the Titleist rep apologizing for the late delivery but my shaft choice was the culprit. I would add I also paid $1499 for my P770's so if you run out of patience, you can always request a refund. 😇

21 minutes ago, chisag said:

I would add I also paid $1499 for my P770's so if you run out of patience, you can always request a refund. 😇

Thanks for that small detail....I feel better now!  😎

... Well here is some good news for @Indy_Oz and @LeakyValve. The 770's really started to feel pretty awesome today. After several sets of hollow headed irons the last few years the feel is just much more solid but a little muted in comparison. I am starting to feel that small difference as the feedback is there, just much less obvious than others. Again, the short irons are very impressive and easy to control. I shot a 69 today so 3 of my first 4 rounds with the 770's have been in the 60's and the other was even par.  Even more impressive for myself is 36 holes without a bogie and pretty sure I have never accomplished that before. I am really, really liking these irons. 

Don't know what's worse @chisag  having to wait while you tell us how great things are. Or the damn low rounds you're firing with these making me think they might be outta my range aha. 

Good shooting. Nice to hear about the sound being mute and solid. Lots of what I've seen from YouTube talks about how they feel more solid without sounding too clicky. 

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

12 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Well here is some good news for @Indy_Oz and @LeakyValve. The 770's really started to feel pretty awesome today. After several sets of hollow headed irons the last few years the feel is just much more solid but a little muted in comparison. I am starting to feel that small difference as the feedback is there, just much less obvious than others. Again, the short irons are very impressive and easy to control. I shot a 69 today so 3 of my first 4 rounds with the 770's have been in the 60's and the other was even par.  Even more impressive for myself is 36 holes without a bogie and pretty sure I have never accomplished that before. I am really, really liking these irons. 

Great to hear! I saw one video saying they felt like they needed a couple of rounds, or range sessions, to 'bed in' a bit before you got the really nice buttery feel. So improving over time early on tracks.

Great shooting considering you're just getting used to new irons. They obviously suit you so far!

Really great to read that the short irons are impressing you. Having had older P790s for a while and their propensity for 'hot shots' too frequently for comfort, that's definitely on my mind to check. Reliably accurate short irons would be a huge win for me.

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

3 minutes ago, LeakyValve said:

Don't know what's worse @chisag  having to wait while you tell us how great things are. Or the damn low rounds you're firing with these making me think they might be outta my range aha. 

... As a 10 index you know equipment is individual based. No one size fits all. But my guess is you can certainly handle these.  😇  But of course that's the fun, finding out for yourself. I am looking forward to everyone journey in this test. 

12 minutes ago, Indy_Oz said:

Really great to read that the short irons are impressing you. Having had older P790s for a while and their propensity for 'hot shots' too frequently for comfort, that's definitely on my mind to check. Reliably accurate short irons would be a huge win for me.

... No offense intended for P790 users, but having played two generations of P790's the P770's are in a completely different class. If I didn't know they were hollow headed I would think they were solid one piece CB's. One of the things I would experience with the 790 short irons were 1/2, 3/4 and full shots reacted differently. The faster you swung the club the more distance you produced, so it wasn't a linear yardage difference for me. Again, the 770 short irons react more like a solid CB and distances for those partial shots are exactly what I expect. I can hardly wait for you guys to play them and see for yourself. 😊

Edited by chisag

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... No offense intended for P790 users, but having played two generations of P790's the P770's are in a completely different class. If I didn't know they were hollow headed I would think they were solid one piece CB's. One of the things I would experience with the 790 short irons were 1/2, 3/4 and full shots reacted differently. The faster you swung the club the more distance you produced, so it wasn't a linear yardage difference for me. Again, the 770 short irons react more like a solid CB and distances for those partial shots are except what I expect. I can hardly wait for you guys to play them and see for yourself. 😊

That's awesome to hear. I grew up playing blades and CBs and these old P790s are my first 'modern' clubs. If the P770 short irons have the feel and characteristics akin to the CB then that's perfect and I won't be tempted to buy some CBs in future to give a blended set. Ha ha.

Thanks for sharing so we can live vicariously through you while we wait 🙂

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

After a pretty abysmal performance on the golf course this morning, I'm even more eager for the new clubs to get here. Either way I win: if I play well it's because the new clubs are helping and if I play poorly it's just new equipment I'm not used to 😅

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425 Max 9.0º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Blue Velocore 6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Red Velocore 7S

Driving Iron: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png U505 2-iron, Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85S 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: default_odyssey-small.jpg.a7dc06ee6fc9b8df09953a46df717684.jpg Ai-ONE Jailbird Mini DB 35"

11 minutes ago, Byrnzee said:

After a pretty abysmal performance on the golf course this morning, I'm even more eager for the new clubs to get here. Either way I win: if I play well it's because the new clubs are helping and if I play poorly it's just new equipment I'm not used to 😅

I’m looking forward to having that excuse for a few rounds too 😂👍🏻

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

20 minutes ago, Byrnzee said:

Right there with you today. Always find that when I don't get in as many rounds I always seem to lose something on the course. So new sticks will forsure help. Right?

26 minutes ago, Byrnzee said:

14 minutes ago, Indy_Oz said:

I’m looking forward to having that excuse for a few rounds too 😂👍🏻

... My last meme was a little too harsh. Since you guys are getting the clubs for free, perhaps you can afford to pay for this book. 😇

image.png.7d15e5b6f1b1abf5bd7da46f4bcaab86.png

Edited by chisag

11 minutes ago, LeakyValve said:

New clubs. Old clubs. Bad back. Wind. That dog barking. My excuse list is endless 

... I played with Greg, a lawyer back in Chicago that was just like that with any noise or movement. We had to be quiet and very still when he was on the tee. 3 of us were sitting on a bench behind him not moving a muscle when a truck going down the street barely made an acceleration noise and Greg stopped his swing and turned around in annoyance. The youngest of our group jumped up and screamed "NO CAMERAS PLEASE!!!" and we fell off the bench laughing. 🤪

Edited by chisag

37 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I played with Greg, a lawyer back in Chicago that was just like that with any noise or movement. We had to be quiet and very still when he was on the tee. 3 of us were sitting on a bench behind him not moving a muscle when a truck going down the street barely made an acceleration noise and Greg stopped his swing and turned around in annoyance. The youngest of our group jumped up and screamed "NO CAMERAS PLEASE!!!" and we fell off the bench laughing. 🤪

Hahahahah. I know it's always me on a bad shot. I don't mind a bit of chatter behind me. I know I can back out of it. But man some people take it a bit too seriously. Not like we have millions on the line right?

I don't think this has been shared here, but could be wrong. I haven't seen this YT channel before, but this guy does a decent job of communicating his first impressions of seeing and hitting the P7CB and P770, turf interaction etc. What I've not really seen before is someone doing a comparison of PW and 4i, to go along with the usual 7i comps.

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

... May UPS have wings and all your new Taylor Made 9 iron faces look like this. Missed it by just a hair but it still resulted in a birdie. Forgiving and accurate, what's not to love? 

770face.JPG.8d4650a5ba0c03b3e07defb77e36073c.JPG

I had a friend who recently got custom fit for P770s and it took him a month to get them 😭 hoping that's not the case for us but wow, that's surprising

Current WITB: