Question - About Wilson Golf

GolfSpy_X

When I started golfing (not too long ago, about 5 years or so) I knew nothing about Wilson Staff and there was no option for me to find anything from W/S in Australia. Due to forum reading I started to get curious about it. When I decided to buy my first set of new irons (I had a set of used TM RACs and then some used S9 cobras) I went to the U.S. and found a set of new W/S Ci7s for $300 new. I was a little hesitant but I decided to pull the trigger and I have never felt I made a better purchase in my life bang per buck. I started getting curious about their clubs and ended up buying a Fybrid Bridge (which I love and came with teh V2 shaft I love), and an 4H Fybrid for around $50 each NEW which have been some of the best clubs I've tested ever.

Today I still game every Wilson club I have bought and have had a hard time replacing them (Just waiting for some V2s to lower their price hehehe).

Its funny how people look down at you when they see the big "Wilson Staff" logo on your bag. It seems if you play something NOT TM or Callaway you are treated to start with as either a cheap golfer or an ignorant one. I've been asked more than once why don't I "upgrade" to a "serious" brand since I am a decent (let's never say "good") golfer.

Overall, I think Wilson Staff clubs are great clubs with absolute wonderful performance but a very poor Advertisement Team behind them. As well, unfortunately, people will always hesitate on paying "less" for something, since some believe if their irons are not worth over $1000, they are not worth trying

The Ci11 irons are great irons. Gotta upgrade the shafts though I can't stand the stock ones. Too boardy.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

Excited to hear about how they play tonight! I'll be out of town this weekend for a wedding when the Mizunos get to me, so I'm looking forward to probably the most exciting Monday I've had in a long time... Especially because my new putter will be in as well!

Paul

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Staff is the best..The set the standard for forged muscle backs that even Mizuno "copied"...A lot of people, when you say Wilson, like BK said, they think of Pro Staff, Patty Berg or Sam Snead clubs, which were/are K-Mart specials...

Staff, on the other hand, not only has won 61 majors, more than any other manufacturer and the FG-17 Tour Blades and the 8802 Blade Putter are not only iconic, they are two of the most copied clubs in the history of golf..

Though I play Mizuno, I would not hesitate to put the FG62s in my bag if for some reason, Mizuno did not produce an iron to my liking...The 62s can go toe-to-toe with any iron out there..

They also made an excellent & award winning hybrid, the "Fybrid," which Paddy used to hit the 217yd shot to w/in 8' of the hole on #17 in his second Open victory..

Fairways & Greens 4ever...

As usual RP right on point I remember back when Wilson was the stuff I still have a set of FG 17s I bought new back in 79 along with the JP sand wedges as far as the 8802 putters I love them I sold 2 in one day to the same man at a great profit my first set of new real clubs were Wilson Staff blades back in 70. Actually in todays gimmickly golf world Wilson needs more tour players that can win or play in the top 10 and then you would see their sales really taking off I have not personally demoed their new offerings but from what I have seen they look pretty good but I have enough sets of irons that aint worth anything to anyone than me that my wife would kill me if I got another set of irons even used cheap!! I turned 55 yesterday and she said if I retired today and lived to be 100 and played golf everyday that i could not wear out all the sets of irons I have

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Yea Stu, you're right regarding getting a few highly ranked tour staffers. Do you, or anyone, have any idea what the $$ amount is to get one of the top-10 players to bag your irons? Nothing against Barnes or Streelman, though they're just not top shelf & though Paddy's got the majors in his pocket, his best days are probably behind him.

Have a good one

Fairways & Greens 4ever

I have heard different things like length of contract performance bonuses etc it is hard to really say but i am sure it is way up there I would say for say the 5 year range it would be several million but that would be pure speculation

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Oh man, these babies are SWEET. Went over to the tee and hit a few. Dodging the rain drops however looking at 'em in the back of my SUV got to be too much. They wouldn't quit whispering, "hit me, hit me." More compact profile from heel-toe, which I love. Though the 68s are designed off of the 33s, I like the compactness of the 33s, which are similar to the Staffs.

Anyway, I'm puttin 'em in the bag for the moonlighters this afternoon.

Fairways & Greens 4ever.

So how'd it go!?

Paul

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Shoot, I really hope for your sake that they are conforming! Glad you enjoyed them!

Paul

I realize that nobody really gives a sh*t, however I had a lonnngggg day at the hospital, so the bar for making me smile is extremely low, however I'm one happy son-of-a-b*tch cuz I got confirmation today from the USGA that the serial number on my(formerly Paul S's) Fg59s(Pics in my bag thread) make them street legal, tournament legal and generally welcomed whever I might chose to swing them.

At first I was pissed cuz I resigned my membership after 35+ years(I'm being a little overly dramatic, all I did was not renew my membership last year), and the verification was a no charge for a member and $25 for a non-member. I'm sure that there's a site to do this for free, however I got an official letter on USGA letter head(Not to mention, my ball repair tool, towel & sticker).

So, they're stayin in the bag.

Fairways Greens 4ever

Actually hearing that some irons of the same brand/style are conforming and others aren't was a bit of an eye opener to me. Why in the world would they do that?

Good to hear about the FG59s working for you, can't wait to hear Paul S's review on the MP59s, which I still dream of :D

Archived