TRX Rip Trainer - REVIEW

Matt Saternus

TRX Rip Trainer Review

TRX-Rip-Trainer-5.jpg

*** 20% OFF for MYGOLFSPY READERS. Enter Promo Code: MGS20RIP *** Good through 12/14

Introduction

When was the last time you played a sport sitting down? Swung a golf club sitting down? Picked up a heavy bag of dirt while sitting down? Used a shovel sitting down? Then why the hell are all of us lifting weights while sitting down?!?!?!

I love weight training, but there's something really dumb about the way most of us (me included) lift weights: we sit down on a weight machine or lie down on a bench and isolate very specific muscle groups using very controlled movements. All of that is great for building up beach muscles (“Which way to the gun show, ladies?”), but not very useful for, you know, life.

TRX claims that the RIP Trainer offers a better, safer way to build strength. Most importantly, it gets you up off your butt. So, should you dump your free weights for a RIP Trainer? Read on to see what I discovered.

TRX-Rip-Trainer-4.jpg

What is it? How do you use it?

As you can see in the pictures, the RIP Trainer is essentially a metal bar connected to an elastic band. You can set it up in a variety of ways: anchored or un-anchored, and with one or both ends of the bar connected to the band. Between the door anchor and the carabiner, you have the ability to anchor the RIP Trainer to just about anything: doors, fences, fat people, parked cars, etc. If you have a space where you want to use your RIP Trainer but there's nothing to anchor it to, TRX makes wall anchors that you can screw into the wall to create anchor points.

Once you have the RIP Trainer anchored, you're ready to start using it. The RIP Trainer kit includes a DVD with two 30-minute workouts and a booklet that explains a number of exercises. One of the things that I like best about the workouts on the DVD is that they are done in “real time,” meaning that you are given time to adjust the RIP Trainer instead of having to pause the DVD repeatedly. Finally, if you get bored with the DVD, there are lots more exercises and workouts posted on the TRX website.

TRX-Rip-Trainer-3.jpg

Benefits

The first, and probably most important, benefit of the Rip Trainer is that it allows you to strengthen your core in a “neutral” spine position. All of this is explained on the first segment of the DVD, and it will make you want to avoid crunches for the rest of your days.

Second, the RIP Trainer gets you off your butt and into positions that more closely simulate real life. Since you're not sitting or lying down, you're engaging your core for balance and stability, and you're using your muscles in groups or chains. All of this adds up to burning more calories and building more muscle.

Third, the RIP Trainer allows you to have resistance while doing unique, even weird, moves. With the right set up, you can have resistance from any direction and any angle, so the possibilities are limitless. The RIP Trainer and all its unique moves are an absolute godsend for those who are bored with normal free weight exercises. (If you want to see somebody getting the most out of the RIP Trainer, check this out.)

All of those things are great, but my favorite thing about the RIP Trainer is that it keeps you moving (like this guy). Most people who lift weights do a set, drop the weights, and sit around. The RIP Trainer encourages a more aerobic, circuit-training approach because you're only going to adjust the equipment once or twice per workout, if at all.

One final benefit of the RIP Trainer is that it's small and portable. You can easily store the RIP Trainer in a closet or under a table when it's not in use. For those that travel a lot, the RIP Trainer can easily fit in a carry-on bag which would save you the trouble of looking for a hotel with a decent gym.

TRX-Rip-Trainer-2.jpg

Negatives

My only knock on the RIP Trainer is that it does require a decent amount of space to use. To get resistance, you need to have the band fully extended which requires you to stand about 6 feet from the anchor point. Add to that the space to actually do the movement (anywhere from a foot to a few feet), and you can see that you'll want somewhere around 10 feet to train comfortably.

TRX-Rip-Trainer-1.jpg

Value

The RIP Trainer costs $190 and comes with a door anchor, DVD, booklet, and a carrying case. You can also buy different cords with more or less tensions for $19-27, depending on the tension.

The RIP Trainer is a bargain when you compare it to other fitness alternatives. A reasonable selection of dumbbells will quickly climb over $200, as will any barbell set. Gym membership costs vary, but even at an inexpensive gym, you will spend $200 in 6 months or less. Obviously some people prefer going to a gym versus working out at home, and a gym offers a lot more variety, but for someone who isn't looking to break the bank on getting fit, the RIP Trainer is a great option.

Conclusion

Whether you're someone who is just getting started on a fitness program or someone who is bored with what you're currently doing, the RIP Trainer is something that you should definitely check out. It offers a great combination of cardio and resistance, and the price, size, and portability make it something that everyone can afford and use.

*** 20% OFF for MYGOLFSPY READERS. Enter Promo Code: MGS20RIP *** Good through 12/14

Facebook: HERE

Twitter: HERE

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I used the door anchor. It's a really nice design: just a piece of foam that you put inside a door jam. I used the closet that houses my water pump in the basement, which is right next to all my other exercise gear. Starting today, I am looking for a new anchor point as my daughter prefers to be upstairs. I'm thinking the railing on the stairs should work out nicely.

Also, sorry for the stock pics, but I have no light or space where this is set up, so my pictures would have looked like poop. And I was hoping for stock images with the girls from the videos, which no one would have complained about. ;)

I want one of these but my exercise room is only 10 x 11. I would have to use it in the garage I guess.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I've been trying to think of a solution for those with less space. If you're going to use the doorway anchor, I think you're SOL, you just need more space. If you have a pole or a big heavy piece of furniture (probably not recommended, but just saying), you might be able to wrap the cord around it to shrink it up a bit.

1353365831[/url]' post='79667']

Nice write-up Matt. You're right about being economical vs. the alternatives. It's just that I've got almost as many fitness products as I do putters and ya know what I use religiously?

The frickin tension bands & tubes from Weider. LOL.

I had to let my gym membership expire cuz that's where I met one of the girls I'm datin, & she felt that I did more kabitzing than I did workin out (it actually was about 70/30 w/work out bein 70) so I'm confined to the basement game room.

Do you or have you used the tubes/bands and how does this compare? I really get a pretty good work out with em, though for $200-220, this probably gives ya more options at a very reasonable cost.

Thanx again for the review

Fairways & Greens 4ever

I certainly have used bands, got a couple sets in the basement. More than anything they're just different. I like the RIP Trainer because it's easy to anchor and you can do two handed exercises. It seems easier or more natural to get the whole body involved with the RIP.

• 5 years later...

The Rip Trainer is a very strong companion kit to the TRX® Suspension Trainer. It's actually a band-based bodyweight workout system concocted by U.S. Naval force Seal Randy Hetrick. Like the Suspension kit, the Rip Trainer is exceptionally versatile, using a lightweight opposition cord system and secure anchor focuses in your home, office, and gym etc. Set-up takes a matter of seconds, and you're prepared for a completely adaptable, full-body exercise, including characteristic rotational improvements and variable and unbalanced loading options. The TRX Rip Trainer is an exceptionally strong tool for improving core strength, expanding cardiovascular perseverance, and sharpening one's portability and coordination. You may know more about TRX to follow https://www.coretrainingtips.com/what-is-trx/.

Very interesting.

i have thought about this, but the 6' space required is a game breaker for me. 

Currently, i use stretch bands in the door jamb as well, and i find that i am at the most resistive band and am wondering what woulld i do when that band becomes to easy for me? I assume the same would apply for these as well.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

Archived