So what exactly does a game improvement iron do for you?

jaxbeachpackerfan

Riddle me this.

So I was able to break 80 this year. Started with a 78 followed by a 79 a few weeks ago. Today I managed to do it for the third time with a 77. The first two times I did it with my Ping S55 irons. Today I did it with my MP-54 irons that I put in the bag last night on a whim because I can't make up my damn mind about clubs.

The kicker is that I played my G25s for most of the season up until about a month ago and wasn't able to do it. Looking at it, most of my scores with them were trending more around 90.

Just might be the wider sole of the Ping G series doesn't fit your swing type.  I never liked them at address which is why I went with the i20's.  Now I am ready to move on; maybe Hogans!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 3 months later...

I'm revisiting this thread 'cause I just can't let the idea go.  In the past four months, I've done nothing except look.  The two scor wedges continue to be, by far, the best clubs in my bag.  Overall, my lesson program has been very helpful, the revised set up and swing are starting to get grooved and my handicap index has dropped 2.8 since my last post.  Still drooling over the Hogans.

Last week I remembered I had bought a cheap, used 7 iron out of a bucket to replace a lost 7 iron in my visitor's club set.  It turns out it is a Hogan Apex Plus.  

So today, I went to Golftec for a video practice session.  Struck the ball real well, I'm getting almost a full 10 mph more swing speed with my 6 iron than back in September.  So, pulled out my TM R9 seven iron, hit a number of good shots, noted the yardages.  Then hit the Apex Plus 7.  Also a number of good shots.  No off center hits, the "less good" shots were slight pulls or pushes (only one bad shot all day, with the 6 iron).  Apex distances were equal to the R9 distances.  Can't say I noticed any other differences, feel, ball flight, or whatever, between the two 7 irons. This is my first real test with a forged iron, other than the Scor forged wedges.  It shows me I can hit them.

So, I go back to why I would be interested in forged?  One, I do really feel a whole lot more comfortable with the smaller head and no offset look.  Second, and very important at the course I play at (TPC Valley), I really do believe the smaller, more compact head is much more effective at getting out of our very, very tough rough.  I have experimented with compact forged clubs used by my playing partners on some shots out of the rough, and the difference is dramatic for me.  

So, long story short, I think I'm talking myself into the Hogans.  

This whole thing proves I'm not an impulse buyer, I've been debating this for 6 months now.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I'm revisiting this thread 'cause I just can't let the idea go.  In the past four months, I've done nothing except look.  The two scor wedges continue to be, by far, the best clubs in my bag.  Overall, my lesson program has been very helpful, the revised set up and swing are starting to get grooved and my handicap index has dropped 2.8 since my last post.  Still drooling over the Hogans.

Last week I remembered I had bought a cheap, used 7 iron out of a bucket to replace a lost 7 iron in my visitor's club set.  It turns out it is a Hogan Apex Plus.  

So today, I went to Golftec for a video practice session.  Struck the ball real well, I'm getting almost a full 10 mph more swing speed with my 6 iron than back in September.  So, pulled out my TM R9 seven iron, hit a number of good shots, noted the yardages.  Then hit the Apex Plus 7.  Also a number of good shots.  No off center hits, the "less good" shots were slight pulls or pushes (only one bad shot all day, with the 6 iron).  Apex distances were equal to the R9 distances.  Can't say I noticed any other differences, feel, ball flight, or whatever, between the two 7 irons. This is my first real test with a forged iron, other than the Scor forged wedges.  It shows me I can hit them.

So, I go back to why I would be interested in forged?  One, I do really feel a whole lot more comfortable with the smaller head and no offset look.  Second, and very important at the course I play at (TPC Valley), I really do believe the smaller, more compact head is much more effective at getting out of our very, very tough rough.  I have experimented with compact forged clubs used by my playing partners on some shots out of the rough, and the difference is dramatic for me.  

So, long story short, I think I'm talking myself into the Hogans.  

This whole thing proves I'm not an impulse buyer, I've been debating this for 6 months now.

And it would seem that you still are from other threads :).

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Yep.  And I've even started wondering why not a combo set?  The saga continues. <_>

are you looking for the perfect set up? My last instructor told me "Golf is no a game of perfection, it is one of confidence" a

i don't know if there's going to be a perfect set up, and  with new clubs coming out every month, your choices will continue to be endless and never "perfect" If you love your Scor wedges, then Hogans may be the way to go.  I saw you are considering a second fitting at Golf Academy, but is a second opinion going to give you peace of mind, especially if it's different that your previous results, then what best 2/3?

You'l either have to trust your fitter or not, and jsut go with what feels best. . 

I play Mizuno's game improvement irons from 2 generations ago and I love them. I had a friend that played blades and he couldn't hit them, started to hate golf, got some more forgiving irons and is loving it again

One of the writers on here recommends getting the most GI iron you can stand to look at because the game is hard enough as it is. If you play better, get more consistent and lower scores....you WIN!  So what if others play blades, the goal of the game is to get the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes possible. I know it's not a exact comparison, but Speith's swing isn't as beautiful and fluid and near perfect as Rory's, but who's the better player right now?

Go with what gives you the best chance to score lower. The newer GI irons are pretty damn sweet.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Game improvement irons for me did nothing. I did not hit more GIR. I gained distance with the short and mid irons, but did not gain with the long irons. This was backwards from what I needed.

I also did not have the same level of distance control especially in the knockdown and partial shots. So with increased distance and less accurate partial shots I needed more wedges. 

The Scor argument made tremendous sense when you have GI irons. As an aside, I hated my Scor wedges when I first got them. I later discovered I did not like the shafts in them and replaced them with my preferred and love them. Do I need to replace my 8, 9, & PW with 4 Scor Wedges? No because I don't play GI irons.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:mizuno-small: ST190 18° on Graphite Design AD DJ 70S 

:ping-small: G425 22°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

My brother is searching for irons/hybrids to get, he has hit almost everything imaginable from used-new and anything he could get his hands on, and what we have discovered is that for him, there isn't one that gives him anything that the other one doesn't, when hitting 6iron, they were all the same, his ball flight is left to right, and he is not long, hey we're all within a 2-3 yards of each other, accuracy was the same, he prefers GI big top line (shovels), he keeps looking at price, and I keep telling him,find the ones you want. So my advice is to find what you want, and get them.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

My bad. Been watching the ebay hogan and Callaway CF 16 listings.  Lost out on an auction last night for a CF 16 set.  Came across another listing today, buy it now for a real good price on exactly the clubs I was hitting in the fitting.  Pulled the trigger.  So, I'll be trying the Callaways!  and still lusting for the Hogans and Mizunos.  Impulse buy, but damn, its been six and a half years on my current irons.  

Congrats, I never was a Callaway guy, really didn't like anything the had, now my whole bag is filled with them. X2hot pro driver, 5-PW XR pro irons, and I love them. Hope you enjoy the clubs, and hit them well

I looked up a photo of the cf16's I tell you they look very similar to he XR pro's, they are nice looking

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived