Testers Wanted: Vice Golf Irons ×
Site Maintenance - June 17 6pm EST to 6am EST (Planned) ×
Site Maintenance - June 17 6pm EST to 6am EST (Planned)

Number of Testers
Signup Cutoff Date:
5,334 signups
Equipment Type: Wedges
Vendor: PING

TW-s159.jpg

It has been a few years, but we are very happy to have PING golf clubs back as part of our Forum Member Testing! The PING s159 are the newest wedges from PING; however, it is not just new wedges that PING is excited about for this testing opportunity. They have also released their new WebFit App that aims to simplify the often confusing wedge grind dilemma.

s159 grinds.jpg

PING s159 Wedge Features:

The s159 wedges are now offered in six different grind options, with two brand new grinds introduced for this series (the B and H grinds). As PING worked closely with their tour professionals on an updated design and look which would appeal to more golfers.

PING has included their Friction Face that combines face blast and their optimized precision-milled grooves for what they claim is "the launch and spin control to play score-lowering shots from every distance." Add in appropriately spaced MicroMax grooves depending on the loft; these wedges are packed full of technology.

All of their loft and grind combinations have been made available in two different finishes: The Hydropearl 2.0 Chrome and Midnight.

s159 hovland.jpg

The WebFit Wedge App:

A simple step-by-step questionnaire based on what their wedge experts use to identify the best grinds and options for their tour pros, the WebFit app aims to simplify and find the best grinds and lofts for your game.
The entire process takes only a few minutes and provides several options that best suit your answers, making the choice of knowing what grind should work for you a whole lot simpler!

WedgeApp.jpg

About The Testing Opportunity:

Four golfers will be selected to test, review, and keep a set of PING s159 wedges. Testers will go through the new PING WebFit Wedge App and then discuss their recommended specifications with a PING representative to dial in their specifications.

Sound like a test you want to be a part of?

s159 bunker.jpg
*Testing opportunity is open to golfers worldwide. 
*Registration ends Mar. 13
*Testers will be announced on the Forum Mar. 19
*Applicants must be a registered Forum member to be selected and provide a screenshot of their PING WebFit Wedge App results in the comments below!

s159 approach.jpg

400 Comments

Not sure why my results look different than others.  Maybe becuase I was already signed up on the PIng website as a Ping user?

Anyway, here's my wedge recommendations.

image.png.c346fb63f9ef1a65222ed7f3a89b5d50.png

On 3/7/2024 at 12:55 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Want to increase your chances at being selected? Read this thread: 

Let me just say that I love that this image comes up every time there is a new test. "Don't give me hope." LOL. 

What a perfect time for a chance at a set of wedges.  Recently was fit at CC which includes down to Approach (50°) included in my new Irons.  Callaway Apex 21s.

Still using old hand me downs, current wedges are a 54° TM MG3, and a 58° TM Hi toe.  Hardly pull the 54° because my yardages don't work to grab the 54° for constant use.  Really need to go get fit, but this app sure takes out the guess work and lets you figure out what would probably work best for your current game.   Good luck to those that are selected, I look forward to reading about and seeing your pictures.  

Screenshot 2024-03-11 225607.png

edit:  was curious to see what I would get using the full fit not just the web fit. Interesting to see slightly different grinds,  loft wasn’t worried about just wanted to see how close it would be with the other details.  
IMG_6659.png.f208eece9c73bedf3d9d3b3761e5a332.png

Excited for the opportunity to try these wedges. After playing Titleist vokeys for the past few years, I have wanted to try these after seeing the Hovland commercial. Here are my results from their Webfit!IMG_5115.png.0941b41f073ec3284c410f52b06cafe8.png

IMG_5117.png

IMG_5116.png

I would love to test the new Ping S159 wedges.  My current go-to wedge is my Cleveland CBX 54 degree wedge that I use for much of my pitching, chipping and sand shots. My playing conditions vary from tight lies while in Florida in the winter to plush lies when playing in Michigan in the rest of the year.

I’ve actively been shopping to upgrade my Titleist SM4s and would love the opportunity to test these for the community. My career is in research and analysis, albeit not golf research… but I’ll put them through their paces, put together some quantitative and qualitative data points, and provide a nice and tidy review for the community’s consumption. Good luck to everyone and look forward to all the reviews.

IMG_8524.jpeg

IMG_8525.jpeg

IMG_8526.jpeg

These wedges really look fantastic! What a test for the group. I have a buddy that won a Glide 4.0 wedge in a tournament last year and he really likes it. I like what I've read from reviews on Ping wedges. 

Driver is my #1 thing to work on this upcoming season. It is my weakest link, and gives me the most potential to gain. It's what I've been practicing the most lately. 

However, wedges are my #2 thing to work on. It's something I've never paid much attention to. Basically I'm paying a lot more attention to gear overall in the last 6 months than I ever did. But my short game is one of my big strengths, and always has been, so maybe that's why. I never had separate wedges until I got a 60 degree Ray Cook about 10 years ago just so I had a club to get out of the sand and unique trouble spots. I play a Ping i200 iron set with a PW (45 deg) and UW (50 deg). My previous iron set ended at PW. Beyond that, no other wedges for me ever. I chip and pitch fairly well, so I guess I do well with the tools I have 🙂 But I also see room for improvement here.

I'd love to start playing a little lower shot with more spin to hop and stop rather than my regular chip and rollout game. That would give me a chance to shoot at the hole more, be more aggressive. I could see myself doing a lesson focused on wedge game to become more versatile. So this would be a test of the wedges, but also a test of how my wedge game can progress with an actual wedge set.

I did the Ping Webfit for the full bag at the link first. But then I also found the specific wedge fit and did that too. They were about the same. I love all the info they have throughout the fitting stuff and at the end. Judging from what it says in the side-by-side comparison, I would slightly adjust the result it gave me to reverse the 54 and 58 - so the 54 degree is the B grind and the 58 degree is the E grind. This is because I would limit my use of the 58 degree primarily for sand (E grind) and trouble like short-siding the green or downslopes, but I would use the 54 degree for a lot more shots like close around the green or all the way back potentially to full swing. I am definitely open to advice on that too.

My adjustment to fitting: 

• 54 degree, B grind
  • 58 degree, E grind

2024-03-11PingWebFit4.PNG.de994374ddbaa3cd8a936b032b3885c0.PNG

2024-03-11PingWebFit5.PNG.fc780f98b581c2d7dd31abea7a5f329f.PNG

Ok interesting, now I see it has an S grind on a 54 degree showing only in the My Personalized Gapping Results, but I don't see any more info about that. 

I just had a meeting with the golf course that hosts our charity golf event and these S159’s were in the pro shop. Sharp looking clubs. I love the darker finish ones. Always have enjoyed that darker finish. 

Excited for the potential opportunity! Wedges are on my list of clubs to replace this summer and these Pings are high on my list. Would love the opportunity to review.IMG_5979.jpeg.84064432805f3992c52dff32793978d0.jpeg

wonder if Ping is following this...if so....why not offer this thread 15% off retail and jump start spring season with a few thousand extra wedge orders and pump up the rankings.....

they sell 100 wedges here, 10%

500 wedges, we all get 15% off

1000 wedges, we all get 20% off.....

Let's go Ping, support the players that support you!

Yet another great testing opportunity !!!!  Good luck to all !

Very curious about these and would love to test them hard against my two Edison Wedges !!

Did the wedge fit online, but it only revealed some of the info, not all of it.  Redid it on my phone for the "full fitting".

image.png.234ed78854f16be743cd27d00b7c1df6.png

image.png.61a56df1e7d11f02fa2080e0e0d7462a.png

image.png.89263213719b1a55474aade2d52be7ee.png

This is great and hopefully I can add them to the bag to compliment my G430 irons.  I'm currently running Vokey SM9 wedges in 58 and 54, plus 45deg G430.  I am definitely curious to see how these can improve my game, especially fill my low-end gap with addition of a 50deg wedge.  Best of luck to all!

Screen Shot 2024-03-12 at 3.53.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-12 at 3.54.52 PM.png

This Test is now closed to further comments.