Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Number of Testers
Signup Cutoff Date:
4,012 signups
Equipment Type: irons
Vendor: PXG

Testers Wanted

TWFeature.jpg

MyGolfSpy Forum is thrilled to announce a new release testing opportunity from PXG. This is the first time PXG has ever participated in member testing, and there couldn't be a better product than their newly announced Gen 7 irons and Black Ops irons.

About PXG

It’s no surprise that PXG is a polarizing brand. Since their inception in 2013, they have been bold and, for some, brash. The evolution of PXG has been fascinating to follow as they transitioned from a boutique, high-priced, exclusive brand to a company offering a range of options with price points that will suit most, if not all, golfers.

PXG places significant focus on fitting, ensuring customers have the proper products to get the best performance from their game. This is evident with their various in-store fitting options (at PXG-specific or partner stores) and the option of over-the-phone fittings.

PXG also offers their PXG for Heroes program, which provides first looks, discounts, and more for active duty, veterans, first responders, and law enforcement personnel. It is a “Thank You” to all those who have served and is a core pillar of the brand.

0311P.jpg

The PXG Perception

As mentioned earlier, PXG is a polarizing brand. This was evident in the 2022 Brand Perception Survey done by MyGolfSpy, where results were varied. PXG ranked high with related words such as Modern, Premium, Engineering, and Innovation, while also ranking high with less positive keywords such as Hype, Follower, and Gimmick.

When brands are louder, there will be more people on each side of the fence, compared to those straddling it, which is why these results are not surprising.

This brings us to a key point: does it matter? If a product performs or outperforms what is in your bag, will it, or can it, change your perception? Could it make some of those negative associations fade away?

BlackOps.jpg

The Testing Opportunity

We are looking for six golfers to test, review, and keep a set of PXG Gen 7 irons or PXG Black Ops irons. We will be selecting three for each, and while we have no specifications or further details to share with you (those will be released soon), we are thrilled to provide this early opportunity to our members.

What is your brand bias towards PXG? Do you think it will make you the perfect tester?

Let us know!

0311XP.jpg

*This testing opportunity is open to registered forum members in North America.
*Registration closes August 4.
*Testers will be announced August 6.

393 Comments

This would be cool. I have their driver and have to say I love it. my PXG relationship started out rocky as they mailed it to be with a broken shaft due to poor packaging but they quickly fixed the issue for me. 

The brand has gone through a bit of an identity crisis in the last few years. First I feel they wanted to cater to the exclusivity market by pricing themselves away from the average person's means to purchase. Now I think they have realized that the other manufacturers' product is as good, or better in some cases, and trying to just take a slice of the golf market's pie and make it their own. I recently purchased one of the Black ops drivers and I was very happy with it. The numbers worked well for me upon testing and was pleasantly surprised to find the driver line-up feeling "much improved" in my opinion. Very curious if these new irons have made a quantifiable leap forward or if my current gamers match up.

My PXG fitting (resulted in a 3W and 5W black ops) was one of the best fitting experiences I've ever had!  My clubfitter was an artist...and a legit PGA pro who offered a ton of help.  PUT THE IRONS IN MY HANDS!

As polarizing as their branding can be, some people love them, some people hate them (including my lil' bro), I personally have nothing bad to say about them.  But the performance of their equipment is what matters most to me.  I picked up the Gen 5 0311 driver during one of their sales out of curiosity and was pleasantly surprised during the whole fitting process and the performance I got after having the specs fitted for my swing.  How cool would it be to kick my brother's butt all over the golf course with a PXG driver and irons lol!!!  😉

I've been looking into these clubs and they sound very interesting. I am biased to support PXG because I love what they do but as an analyst by trade, I do know how to check and account for my bias. The thing I frankly love most about PXG is their constant support of the those who serve the military, veterans, and first responders. For the release of the GEN 7 and new Black Ops irons, they're offering exclusive fitting and purchasing access to the new irons and wedges to all current and past military personnel, veterans, along with first responders before the full public launch on August 7th.

The founder and CEO of PXG, Bob Parsons stated:

“We are always looking for ways to acknowledge and show appreciation for our military and first responders. These new clubs are simply outstanding – the greatest leap forward in technology and performance we’ve ever made. Ahead of the launch, we are proud to give our heroes the first crack at swinging them!”

How can you not like this brand?

It would be great to compare them against my TM Stealth 2 irons, both on my launch monitor & local courses. I already have a Black Ops driver (best feeling driver I have used...so far) and some of their older fairway woods & hybrids (0311 XF GEN5) 

Can travel for a fitting anywhere at my expense, GT in Canada now sells their product but a trip to the US is fine by me, as long as I could get a round or 5 of golf comped LOL

Am a 60 year old 18 handicap that took up the game a couple of years ago, would be awesome to win this chance. Curious to see, would they offer a discount on their product with a fitting to those that don't win this opportunity?

Good Luck All!!

I’ve had 2 sets of pig’s.  Gen 1 and Gen 6.  Love the 6 and would love an opportunity to try the 7.

Great opportunity here.  I've had 0211 in the bag for 4 seasons now.  It's the longest tenure for a set of irons for me.  I would love to see the difference a set of Gen 7s would bring.   Good luck all.

My son has a full bag of Gen6 and Black ops. The pop he gets off his clubs is amazing - recently played and rented some Calloway ai smoke full bag. After about 3 holes - I turned to him and said “they just don’t have that pop like your bag does”. 

Gen6 cleaned up the styling and Gen7 looks to build on that. Very interested to hear the claims made by PXG as I felt Gen6 was quite amazing.

I've hit PXG irons when I was getting fitted in September 2020 and loved them. Taylormade P790 came out almost as good and were a little less expensive so I went with the P790s. I still think that the PXG irons are the best in the business though. Something about the way they felt when hitting the ball was sweeter than any other iron, and the performance was 2nd to none. I would love to see how much better they are than the 2020 version. 

Fantastic opportunity to test the latest offerings from PXG. I play the current 0211 and love them, can't wait to see how the "new" irons stack up. Good Luck to everyone!

I can’t wait to see how these clubs perform. Forgiveness to playability should be interesting.

Really interesting opportunity.  I'm not a Bob Parsons fan boy but I respect his commitment. Love to see how these compare to my Apex's.

Thanks PXG and MGS! 

Jim

Holy Smokes Batman, another amazing testing opportunity. I can't tell you how hard I debated buying a set of these clubs before settling on the Paradym AI Smokes. If I lived remotely near a PXG fitting facility I would've tried it for sure! In the tiny town I live in the availability of testing facilities is non existent. I had to resort to swinging clubs at dicks sporting goods in their cramped sim room and ended up with the smokes. Which I do like and hit well, but these PXG clubs make me drool and I would switch in an instant if they perform as well. I just couldn't bring myself to order a set on a hunch without ever holding a club in my hand first. Fingers crossed big time on this one.

Always wanted to try some of the PXG clubs. I would definitely love to be a tester.

When I picked up the game again 4-5 years ago after a long hiatus, I used some of my brother's driver castoffs, some less than 5 years old, and found little success. Then when the previous generation of PXG 0211 drivers went on fire sale 2 years ago, I took advantage and picked one up, and boy what a difference it has made. Their customer service was really good, also, when I contacted them a year later with questions.

I have no idea if their irons would leave the same impression, but PXG will be on the short list when it's time to pull the trigger on new irons to replace my 25 year old Tommy Armours. Really looking forward to hearing what testers here have to say.

Bought a PXG driver a few years back. Liked the forgiveness, wasn't a fan of the distance. Intrigued by these irons. Love the look of them, and interested to see comparisons with other brands.

I have never hit any PXG club (though I was close to buying a driver at one point) because they are not available through any of the club outlets near me. None of the local stores or Pro shops carry any of their equipment. I have spoken with owners on the golf course and all of them seem pretty happy with them so I would love a chance to see how well they work for me! Have hadd the Pings since before the pandemic and never loved them. I do wonder what kind of shafts they will come with. 

This Test is now closed to further comments.