Number of Testers
Signup Cutoff Date:
1,342 signups
Equipment Type: Grips
Vendor: Lamkin

Lamkin Sonar+ Black & UTX Blue/Green Grips

image.png

Lamkin has been making high quality golf grips since 1925 and continues to develop key innovations that result in more power, consistency, and accuracy for all golfers.  We are looking for eight golfers to test Lamkin's newest grips for 2023 in the SONAR+ BLACK and UTX BLUE/GREEN grips.  

image.png image.png

SONAR+ BLACK

COMFORT. CONNECTION. POWER.

This beautiful grip, with a deceptively minimalist appearance, is constructed from our incredibly comfortable and durable Genesis Material. Combined with the refined texture and unforgettable touch of our Fingerprint Technology, the result is a remarkably long-lasting grip with an enhanced feel and strong connection that truly feels like no other.

image.png 

image.png

UTX BLUE & UTX GREEN

THE INDUSTRY’S FIRST AND ONLY CORDED GRIP WITH A TACK FEEL

UTX is our fastest-growing grip on tour, with multiple wins across the major tours. Positioned as our “tack-cord,” this industry-first, tour-validated grip will serve golfers looking to gain confidence by securing connection to the club with its unique Tri-Layer material technology and ‘X’ pattern cord texture. The result is the same traction, moisture control, and enhanced feel trusted by tour pros around the world.

image.png

image.png

For this test we are looking for 8 MGS Forum Members to test these new Lamkin Grips.

4 Testers - Lamkin Sonar+ Black (Standard, Midsize, or Oversize)

4 Testers - Lamkin UTX Blue or Green (Standard or Midsize)

This Test is open to all US Forum Members!  Testers will be expected to have their clubs regripped at their own expense.

New to the Forum? Interested in how we select our testers and want to increase your opportunity at being selected in this or future tests? READ MORE HERE!

108 Comments

Too bad only for America is.

Lamkin: UTX-Sonar + - Sonar + Tour Calibrate, I also tested the ST+2 HYBRID, was not my cup of tea.

20230502_213633.jpg

OMG! I've been wanting to try these new Sonar grips since they came out. I can't get any near me yet. I think these would be great as the arthritis in my hands prefer the softer feeling type grips. I also wanted to see the new technology in these. Thanks for the chance!! 

Hi All , as a 2 year golfer I don’t have a lot of experience with different grips but for a few golf pride on used clubs I bought. But my teaching pro just changed my grip from baseball (old tennis player) to interlock and I’m getting blisters on my right hand from the roughness of the grip. Am very interested in trying out these grips to see the difference!

I believe the correct grip for your clubs is vitally important, but often overlooked.  Typically when I replace my clubs, I will replace most of them with my go-to grip, but will try a new model on one or two clubs.  Using an air compressor to replace grips makes it easy to change grips.   Good luck to all that enter.

21 minutes ago, Paul Hedrick said:

I believe the correct grip for your clubs is vitally important, but often overlooked.  Typically when I replace my clubs, I will replace most of them with my go-to grip, but will try a new model on one or two clubs.  Using an air compressor to replace grips makes it easy to change grips.   Good luck to all that enter.

i agree, grips are a critical component to your shots, but I think we choose them without really taking into account what works best.  Since I bought some used clubs with existing grips it has gone me second guessing on what I should be using.

I would love to see a grip testing challenge for testers where 2 grips would go head to head perhaps on alternating irons and woods.  
Lamkin vs Iomic would be an interesting test.

I've been a fan of Lamkin grips once I tried them.  I like the feel and durability.   Since I retired, the full cord has gotten a little too firm for my aging, softening hands.  I would like to try the cord with tack feel.  It might be just the ticket I need.

Thank you Lamkin for the testing opportunity. I've been intrigued by the UTX style so would choose that in a midsize. Good luck testers!

Just a question about these types of tests. 

Please guide me if I'm asking wrongful or silly questions, but I had the same question come up to mind when there was a putter grip test and etc. 

I would assume you would receive the grips to test, but the tester would need to find a way to install it themselves. right?

If the tester likes the product that's great, they can keep it on their club, but if they don't like the product?

The testers would just need to go buy new grips and install them back. Correct?

It would be great to go side-by-side testing with their original grip, but I assume that would be hard for the average Joe who doesn't have multiple clubs of the same kind. 

I wonder how that would affect their tests. 

I am very interested in grips in general.

I started from tour velvet grip, moved to MCC Standard, and then to CPX when it came out and not on MCC Plus 4 Standard. Trying something bigger.

I didn't sign up for this test, because I'm still testing on my own grip. Its been 2 months on my new set of grips, but still don't know if I like it more than the previous grips I've used. 

Just because I think I forgot how they felt... 😅

5 minutes ago, rapa7846 said:

Just a question about these types of tests. 

Please guide me if I'm asking wrongful or silly questions, but I had the same question come up to mind when there was a putter grip test and etc. 

I would assume you would receive the grips to test, but the tester would need to find a way to install it themselves. right?

If the tester likes the product that's great, they can keep it on their club, but if they don't like the product?

The testers would just need to go buy new grips and install them back. Correct?

It would be great to go side-by-side testing with their original grip, but I assume that would be hard for the average Joe who doesn't have multiple clubs of the same kind. 

I wonder how that would affect their tests. 

I am very interested in grips in general.

I started from tour velvet grip, moved to MCC Standard, and then to CPX when it came out and not on MCC Plus 4 Standard. Trying something bigger.

I didn't sign up for this test, because I'm still testing on my own grip. Its been 2 months on my new set of grips, but still don't know if I like it more than the previous grips I've used. 

Just because I think I forgot how they felt... 😅

I was one of the testers for the MGS Garsen Putter Grips. Your assumptions are correct. For a grip test, the company (Lamkin) provides the grips to the testers. It is on the testers to have them installed or install the grips themselves. At the end of the test, it would be up to the testers to keep or replace the grips at their own cost.
With the putting grip test, we were provided with 3 of Garsen’s grips and while each of the 12 of us were testing one of them as our main review, we were encouraged to do reviews on the others as well. What some of the testers chose to do was install them using air, rather than tape and solvent, so they could remove them without destroying the grip. 
Also, there was one tester that bought an identical putter to the one he played, so he could test the OEM grip vs the Garsen on the same putter. So it is really up to the tester to determine how they want to test. Although, you rightly point out that trying this with irons could be costly. 

1 minute ago, Ben Joest said:

I was one of the testers for the MGS Garsen Putter Grips. Your assumptions are correct. For a grip test, the company (Lamkin) provides the grips to the testers. It is on the testers to have them installed or install the grips themselves. At the end of the test, it would be up to the testers to keep or replace the grips at their own cost.
With the putting grip test, we were provided with 3 of Garsen’s grips and while each of the 12 of us were testing one of them as our main review, we were encouraged to do reviews on the others as well. What some of the testers chose to do was install them using air, rather than tape and solvent, so they could remove them without destroying the grip. 
Also, there was one tester that bought an identical putter to the one he played, so he could test the OEM grip vs the Garsen on the same putter. So it is really up to the tester to determine how they want to test. Although, you rightly point out that trying this with irons could be costly. 

Thank you for the reply

I was really interested in the Garsen Putter grip. 

I actually changed my grip to Garsen Quad Tour today. 

I recently bought the Taylormade GTX putter but noticed the grip was a bit twisted.

Although I could twist it back and make it square it kept twisting back so I just regripped it today.

Always wanted to try out the Garsen. So I'm hoping I like them.

I wanted to give the Max one a try but wasn't bold enough to change that dramatically.

Still haven't tried putting it with the grip yet - Going to wait until tomorrow to play with it -- I'm afraid I'll twist it again. 

1 minute ago, rapa7846 said:

Thank you for the reply

I was really interested in the Garsen Putter grip. 

I actually changed my grip to Garsen Quad Tour today. 

I recently bought the Taylormade GTX putter but noticed the grip was a bit twisted.

Although I could twist it back and make it square it kept twisting back so I just regripped it today.

Always wanted to try out the Garsen. So I'm hoping I like them.

I wanted to give the Max one a try but wasn't bold enough to change that dramatically.

Still haven't tried putting it with the grip yet - Going to wait until tomorrow to play with it -- I'm afraid I'll twist it again. 

I tested the MAX on an Evnroll ER7v and was very impressed. I have since added it to an Odyssey White Hot Versa Double Wide, as I was curious how it would perform on a blade. I can say that Garsen makes quality putter grips and I think you will enjoy the Quad. I tried it out on a Scotty Cameron blade that I have, and it performed well in every test I put it through.

I actually just put the Lamkin Sonar Balck midsize on all my clubs in May. Don't even need to send them to me and I'll still do the review.

This is awesome, thanks again to MGS for all of these opportunities we see weekly. Good to luck to all who enter and thanks Lamkin for coming on board!

Have been using the Lamkin UTx wrap grip for a couple of years now. Big fan of that grip. Wonderful in wet / humid conditions. Would love to test any of the new models. Thanks for the opportunity!

Love the fingerprint technology. I just put on Sonar Wraps but almost pulled the trigger on Sonar+ just have had wraps style for so long it just feels right to me.

I'll be curious to see how the UTx texture is tests. Good luck all.

I think grips are really important to anyone's game.   We expect a lot from them obviously--reduce tension, have sufficient friction, good feel, all weather conditions, etc, etc...   I have been using the Golf Pride MCC +4 pretty faithfully because I believe it provides a lot of what I need and expect from a grip.   After looking at the write up here, I would say these Lamkin grips may offer more.   There is only one way to know and that is to give them a try.   It is hard to stray away from what you know works for you particularly when re-gripping all your clubs.  That being said, I would value the opportunity to give these a try versus my standard GP MCC+4.  It would be a very interesting comparison.

Been an avid Sonar user for a couple of years now, love how they feel in all weathers and actually the design doesn't offend me either.

Wouldn't mind some UTX blue's though to match my Mizuno bag ;)

Have played mostly Golf Pride and Winn.  Had a couple of used clubs come in with Lamkin’s that still had a few rounds in them.  Played well.  Would love to test these as I am about ready to regrip.  

Would love to test these out. I’ve gotten to a point in my game where I know what ball, glove, wedges, etc…. I like to use. But, when it comes to a grip I’m not set on one yet. Would be a great opportunity to give Lamkin a try. Plus that green looks pretty sharp.

This Test is now closed to further comments.