Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Playing in the Rain

DJNiich

This thread is another reason that I love Oregon. Rain keeps people away. It is just water falling from the sky. When you grow up playing golf in the weather, you grow to love it.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

Maybe, again, my drinking of Natural Light is purely connected to hot, over 95 degrees temps of the summer and high humidity. Natty is best as a "refreshment" when you still want to drink beer instead of water or gatoraid.

Thanks John. Obviously my journey to Natty enlightenment is just beginning...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• 2 months later...
  • SPY VIP

Played in the rain for the first time yesterday. Started out as a nice sprinkle, then turned into huge downpour. Had to use free rounds at a semi-private so weather be damned...

Lessons:

Leather gloves feel gross when wet.

Always turn the cart into the wind when hiding under an oak tree.

Sunice makes great gear, but bring the long sleeve jacket, not the short sleeve one.

Itomic grips do OK in the rain, but sting a bit when your hands are numb.

The day after playing in 50* thunderstorms, it will be 75* and clear.

Bloody Mary in the Members Only bar can be medicinal at the turn.

Greens that were insanely fast when dry are still pretty damn fast after the rain clears.

The goofy little bag covering umbrella is a winner, unless the wind is strong enough to launch it out of the bag.

Overall, biggest lesson is that I really like it much better when it is not raining...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Last week, I played 54 holes while it was raining and 63*. I was properly prepared, so it wasn't bad at all. We had to break for lunch at the turn of the second round, because it was a torrential downpour. Come to find out the same day the course offers all you can play for $45, they also offer 60oz pitchers of domestic draft for $6.00. After having a 1.5 hour break with $6 pitchers, we couldn't tell if it was raining or not. Good thing I only live a mile from the course.

There is never any instruction to recreational and amateur players on how to play in the rain except to NOT play in the rain. Sometimes you just get the itch where you want to play in the rain but not really sure if you are prepared. I just came across the one thing no golfer should experience, soaked grips that can't even get dry with a towel.

What should be done before and while playing to maintain the edge and not fall apart? Mentally and Physically

DJ - I played last week and prior to going out checked NOAH for the weather forecast... rain holding off until 3pm. Since we had a 10 a.m tee time I knew it would be close. Never factored in the wind and that rain that was 150 miles away in Philly came in early on a fast track of wind.

We had light showers through the 7th and then all hell broke loose. At this point I looked at my partner and said " We've ridden this horse as far as it wants to go" :D

I've always regarded rain in the same way as football while its snowing - suck it up and enjoy your time in nature unless of course its a deluge (I harbor no Priest on the 18th hole being struck by lightning / Caddy Shack thoughts)

Anything that approaches a light steady drizzle, I'm there for the 18 - Gods tap on the back to Noah - you can find me at the 19th hole. :lol:

rob

ps - towels, towels and more towels - oh yeah, don't forget the umbrella (gustbuster my choice)

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

Archived