TESTERS WANTED! ×

Member DIY Club Restores/Refurbs/Refinishes

Love the purples and blues in that putter. Your torching seems to have improved significantly in you recent posts. Doing anything different. I didn't retread the thread but are you using propane and how long are you torching?

Your pictures are making me want to pick up a putter to play around with. I must try to resist because I don't need another putter

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I switched from propane to MAPP on stainless about a month and a half ago. I'm also high polishing the sole pre-torch to bring out more color in torch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

3 Wood: PingLogo1_zps9tkzkolg.gif G Series 15* Tour 75g; S-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Wedges: Vokey-Design-Wedges1_zpsf6xkz8xp.png 50* 54* 58* SM5, K Grind 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

Thanks by the way. :)

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

What type of stripping process are you guys using for the paints? And what type of paint are you using to redo the logos and extras.  Looking to get into customizing clubs more.  The first time i did some irons I just used nail polish and some clear coat the wife had laying around lol  :mellow:

this came out awesome! Great work man.

Sent from my iPhone while sitting at the 19th hole.

Thanks man

What type of stripping process are you guys using for the paints? And what type of paint are you using to redo the logos and extras. Looking to get into customizing clubs more. The first time i did some irons I just used nail polish and some clear coat the wife had laying around lol :mellow:

Generally I'll strip with either acetone or Kleen strip stripper and acetone afterward.

Using Tamiya paints. They have great acrylics and transparent colors.

Heres the latest:

Agreed, that purple hue is amazing, it's like Prince became a putter, well done

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

My second attempt at the oil can on the bb33 went a bit better.

IMG_2065.JPG

IMG_2064.JPG

Weird. I'm having a hard time uploading photos in posts. Anyone else experiencing that?

Xstiff that's some crazy work you turn out there. Some of you other guys too. I could never....

Bet you use a lot of propane. Heh!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Most of what we're working with are either paint, gun blue, oxide, etc. Those finishes can be sanded or media blasted if you have the setup.

To strip chrome, you need some serious equipment and dangerous chemicals. Custom car shops will either have the right stuff, or have a shop that they use. They will usually throw a set of heads in with something that they are already doing and charge next to nothing.

i guess what I am asking is, on a few of the pages xstiffshafts has done some work that requires stripping of playing, he posted on Jan 6. some pics of a Scotty that he has heated to a purple color, that putter had some type of plates finish that had to be stripped, so I guess I am asking him how he does.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

That Newport 2 I posted on the 6th isn't actually plated off the shelf... it's stainless with Camerons standard beadblasted finish new. So that one can just be polished to shine instead of satin, cleaned and torched. The 2.6 I did before that one, around Christmas, has a pvd finish stock, which I torched without stripping. I've removed the black mist PVD finish by sandblasting. Plating is tricky. Generally if a putter is plated, I'll just leave it alone unless there's a quick and easy way to strip... but generally there isn't. Ruined a couple putters figuring that out.

That Newport 2 I posted on the 6th isn't actually plated off the shelf... it's stainless with Camerons standard beadblasted finish new. So that one can just be polished to shine instead of satin, cleaned and torched. The 2.6 I did before that one, around Christmas, has a pvd finish stock, which I torched without stripping. I've removed the black mist PVD finish by sandblasting. Plating is tricky. Generally if a putter is plated, I'll just leave it alone unless there's a quick and easy way to strip... but generally there isn't. Ruined a couple putters figuring that out.

Thanks, I may just send it or take to a plater to see about getting it removed. It's an older putter and I can't find the specs to see what finish it is. It's an old Nike BC101 with the blue chip insert.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I guess I ran out of upload space, I'm having to link to pics now. Oh well. This Giannini had either plated or PVD finish, in not certain and there isn't a ton of info regarding specs on these sweet little sticks, but I was able to blast/grind most of it off.

KoqFY6I.jpg

ltV7IlB.jpg

SQ3da4H.jpg

y0zMhye.jpg

4itOxg3.jpg

And here's a newer 2.5 I'm about to wrap up:

mcIGe5S.jpg

mEtX1Zg.jpg

YdqSJTs.jpg

Here's the finished 2.5. This is one of my favorite putters I've ever done. Went with black and white paintfill so as not to distract from the finish.

uyQf7ew.jpg

1zbNnF9.jpg

dr5yawm.jpg

ofRGHuk.jpg

3yLOaHq.jpg

Thanks man

Wow, the 2.5 looks amazing, as does all of your work

Thanks fellas.

n9E4PVk.jpg

vnE27jL.jpg

zDgT8W6.jpg

rigvY79.jpg

so clean, well done!!

Well fellas... in times like these, life seems basically pointless. These last 5.5 hours or so have really stretched me thin. It's weird too, because I was not even close to as emotionally invested in this season as I typically am. Usually from September to Jan/Feb I live and die with every play call, every W/L, I listen exclusively to 1310 AM The Ticket, and I've got more hours invested in watching, reading about, and listening about the cowboys. My attention turned to politics last summer (2015), and I've listened to no sports talk, read very little about, and felt less emotional connection to the team than in recent years, and still... it's a strange Low when your team succeeds to exceed expectation, but then fails to live up to the new expectation that the unexpected success created. I have been one of the guys saying Dak is awesome and I'm pumped for the future but he's the second best QB on the team right now and we need to be starting Romes. It also sucks that he's prolly gone in the offseason.

Anyway, got a new color out of the torch today. Really really like this one.

qUhy5ti.jpg

Xk2BWyX.jpg

PZ7jLyB.jpg

71aaB6S.jpg

1Dwk5bD.jpg

KKhPvRY.jpg

fiWhz7B.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok. How did you do that. That looks awesome. I would love to get my new tyne with a custom finish. But being they are painted I don't think they are going to offer it. I probably am going to get at least a custom paint fill if they will let me. But a star shot or powder coat black with silver front (ala Vera's line) would be killer.

Ok. How did you do that. That looks awesome. I would love to get my new tyne with a custom finish. But being they are painted I don't think they are going to offer it. I probably am going to get at least a custom paint fill if they will let me. But a star shot or powder coat black with silver front (ala Vera's line) would be killer.

Man, I really don't even know if I could replicate the process I went through to achieve that finish. First, I over-torched it a bit and wasn't pleased with the outcome, so I buffed it back to silver, cleaned it, re-torched it. The color was dark bronze/almost chocolate, then I blasted to dampen/mute the color a little bit, then I wasn't real thrilled with the blast job so I put it back in the vice and re-torched again to basically purple. After it cooled I lightly buffed it with the least abrasive compound I have and I was blown away at the resulting color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great color. Guess you will have to try and figure out the process so you can duplicate

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG