Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

EPIC battle of two shafts for one head! Who will win?

chershey

So I recently picked up a couple of shafts to test in my EPIC SZ driver and I've been hitting them both in my driver at the range all week to see which one performs better. Of course the range makes it very difficult to tell how far the balls are carrying or running out so I decided to play 9 holes on an empty course after work today and do a true test to find out which shaft will take the crown as the stick portion of the club I like to call my “Boomstick!”

The two competitors are a tour issue Matrix Black Tie 70M4 X-Stiff shaft and a high end Graphite Design Tour AD TP7 Stiff shaft that was supposedly tipped 1 inch by Callaway. Both shafts play right at 45 inches.

IMG_0252.JPG

From what I saw on the range, the Black Tie shaft launches lower than the Tour AD TP shaft but both shafts seem to be low spin. The Black Tie feels much stouter than the Tour AD TP. The TP shaft is one of best feeling shafts I've ever tried. That alone made me want that shaft to win the battle, but only the course can choose the winner.

Here's what I saw. First, I tested both shafts at 9 degrees in the EPIC SZ head. I was hitting 4 drives on every tee box (2 with each shaft). What I saw was higher launch from the TP shaft, which I liked, but the Black Tie seemed to be running out more and the distances overall were similar. Both were offering similar levels of forgiveness with my normal miss to the left (the dreaded hook).

On the 3rd hole I decided to up the loft with the Black Tie shaft to 10 degrees and it was like a Eureka moment. All of a sudden the EPIC SZ with the Black Tie seemed to be ridiculously forgiving and was getting similar launch and spin to the TP shaft at 9 degrees. When I hit drives down the middle with both shafts the distances were similar, but I found that I was hitting a lot more fairways with the Black Tie shaft at 10 degrees. At one point, I decided to try the TP shaft at 10 degrees and it was a high spin disaster. I was testing distances using my Garmin GPS that allows you measure shots from a specific point.

Finally, I got to the 9th and hole knew it was time to confirm whether the Black Tie was the correct shaft. The first drive was with the Black Tie and it was down the middle with a baby draw. The next shot was with the Tour AD TP and snap hooked left into the woods. Interesting. I hit the TP again on the 3rd shot and faded it right in the woods trying to overcompensate for the hook. Not good! My final drive was to confirm once again with the Black Tie was working well and it was an identical ball flight to my first drive down the middle. Those were my best two drives of the day as they measured 305 and 309 on the GPS with a little wind helping.

So, I now feel like I can call a winner in this battle. The Matrix Black Tie 70M4 at 10 degrees, in the EPIC SZ, is a winner winner chicken dinner and will be in the bag for at least another week. :)

IMG_0258.JPG

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Nice! I had the Matrix Black Tie stiff in a Callaway Razr Fit Extreme. It was just too stout for me and all I got out of it were fairly low drives. I gamed it for two years before getting rid of it. Glad it worked out for you!

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I have only hit the black tie a few times and it has always been good

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Archived