Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Project X IO Iron Shafts

AceBino

I was on the Project X website the other day, and I saw they have a new(ish) offering called Project X IO iron shaft.  There is another iron shaft called the "Project X LS", but I think that won't work for me.  The IO seems a little more in line with my swing (98-101 mph driver swing speed depending on time of day and weather, 7i swing speed = 79 mph, tend to have lower spin #'s off the mid irons, but decent spin with the short irons/wedges irons with the LZ 6.0 shafts in my JPX-900s).  What intrigued me was that the IO (Individually Optimized) was engineered to modify the profile for each different weight.  From an aesthetics standpoint, I really like the brushed chrome finish to it!!  

Has anyone tested this Project X IO shaft out yet - if so, can you give some feedback?  Thanks! 

Driver:  :callaway-small: XR16 10.5* (set to 9.5*), MRC KuroKage TiNi Black, S-flex

3 wood:  :ping-small: G410, Alta 65 S-flex

Hybrids:  :ping-small: G400 19* & 22*, Alta CB 70 S-flex

Irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX-900 5-GW, Proj X LZ 6.0

Wedges:  :titelist-small: SM7, 54*/S; :callaway-small: MD4, 58*/S

Putter:  :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Black 2.0 #1

• 8 months later...

I recently tried the shafts in a demo. I currently play Callaway Apex CF16's with Project X 6.0 shafts. I was trying out the Apex 21's. With the same Project X shafts I got similar results to my current clubs. With the IO my dispersion was much tighter, both side to side and front to back. Spin numbers were much more consistent with the IO for me.

Driver:    Titliest TSi3 - Tensei white stiff
Wood:   PING  G425 LST 14.5* - Tensei orange stiff
Hybrid:   PING  G425 19* - Tensei orange stiff
Irons:    PING i525 - Project X I/O 5.5 - 4-W
Wedges:     Taylormade MG3 52* and HiToe 56* Project X I/O 6.0
Putter:  TM Spider X HYDROBLAST (33", 3* upright)

• 3 weeks later...

I had a iron fitting on 7/20. I tried lots of shafts and heads. For me, the Project X IO 5.5 was the clear winner. I was swinging the 7 irons at 85-90 mph. I just hit them better. You could fee the load but they still felt firm. I paired them with TaylorMade P7MB blades to replace my old '84 Hogan Apex PCs. The IO shafts had a similar feel to the Apex #4 Stiff shafts in my Hogans.

Driver: :tour-edge: c721 9.5 / HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Irons: :taylormade-small:P7MB 3-PW, Project X IO 5.5, 1.5 flat
Wedges: Hogan Equalizer II, 52 standard V sole, 58 Texas Grind
Hybrid: :callaway-small: FT 20 degrees
Fairway: :tour-edge: c721 5-wood / HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Putter: EVNROLL ER2 Black

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's almost like an update to the PX Flighted. I've hit them in the new Apex MB and they feel great, a bit lighter than standard PX but I was still getting really nice consistency with them. I would think most would prefer the feel over the standard PX as well. 

:titelist-small: 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05

:titelist-small: 917 F3 15* VA Drago 75-X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 19* Ventus Black 10-TX

:mizuno-small: MP-20 MB 3-9 PX 6.5, T20 47* PX 6.5

:titelist-small: SM7 54-10S/60-08M PX 6.5/6.0

:titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

• 3 months later...
On 7/24/2021 at 8:59 AM, Jim418 said:

I recently tried the shafts in a demo. I currently play Callaway Apex CF16's with Project X 6.0 shafts. I was trying out the Apex 21's. With the same Project X shafts I got similar results to my current clubs. With the IO my dispersion was much tighter, both side to side and front to back. Spin numbers were much more consistent with the IO for me.

Ended up getting the Apex 21's with Project X IO 6.0 shafts. They feel sooo much nicer than my previous clubs. Not sure how much is the head vs shaft but I love this combo. Shots just feel pure.

Driver:    Titliest TSi3 - Tensei white stiff
Wood:   PING  G425 LST 14.5* - Tensei orange stiff
Hybrid:   PING  G425 19* - Tensei orange stiff
Irons:    PING i525 - Project X I/O 5.5 - 4-W
Wedges:     Taylormade MG3 52* and HiToe 56* Project X I/O 6.0
Putter:  TM Spider X HYDROBLAST (33", 3* upright)

• 1 year later...
On 11/24/2021 at 6:52 AM, Jim418 said:

Ended up getting the Apex 21's with Project X IO 6.0 shafts. They feel sooo much nicer than my previous clubs. Not sure how much is the head vs shaft but I love this combo. Shots just feel pure.

I am awaiting JPX923 HMPs with the PX IO 6.0. I really hope they work out nicely as I have not had much time to dedicate to hitting multiple shaft options. I tried DG 120 S300 and to me they felt a little harsh. I have an old set of clubs with Nippon NS Pro 950GH Stiff (98 grams) and felt I could use a little extra weight but not go overboard.

Debating on going in to try PX LZ 6.0 and KBS C Taper Lites just to get some feel comparison. I’m your typical weekend warrior that doesn’t get out as much as I’d like but just want to be confident I made the right purchase.