Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

NEWS FLASH - Titleist/FootJoy To Be Sold Or Spun Off!

GolfSpy_X

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://seekingalpha.com/article/237626-golfing-industry-speculation-who-might-acquire-acushnet

With the recent news of an 11% position in Fortune Brands (FO), Bill Ackman of Pershing Square Capital Management has created a slight buzz in the golf industry. As a result of rumors regarding the possible split of Fortune Brands into three business units (distilled spirits, golf, and home & security products), there is speculation about the possible Acushnet unit. The maker of Titleist and FootJoy products is a leader in the golf industry, and by most standards the most successful golf division in the world. The question is: Who would be interested in Acushnet?

From the other three big manufacturers, there isn't really much of an opportunity/justification for an Acushnet acquisition. Let's take a look at why for each company:

Callaway (ELY) – Unfortunately for Callaway, Fortune Brands would most likely want to be paid (surprising, I know) -- and handsomely -- for the rights to two of the premier brand names in golf. Callaway has struggled in the past few years to even finance its own operations, and is in no position to take on more liabilities.

TaylorMade, owned by Adidas (ADDYY.PK) – Why? TaylorMade has done a fantastic job building its brand in the recent past, especially with the continued success of the R series (the #1 driver in golf). There is really no reason why Adidas should spend money purchasing Acushnet if it can invest that same capital back into TaylorMade and achieve returns comparable to what it's realized since acquiring the brand in 1997.

Nike (NKE) – While I still don't see it happening, this is the most reasonable of the three. While Nike has success in apparel, it has struggled with its equipment and may not be too excited by the opportunity to throw a couple hundred million at the issue. This is a category where Titleist has succeeded, and could drive growth to revenues/income. How Nike would play this out -- hold on to the Nike Golf brand? Divest to private equity? -- is anybody's guess.

As noted above, this is all speculation for the time being. I will keep readers informed of any new developments that come my way.

About the author: Alex Morris

big_pic.png?1289959787

My name is Alex Morris. I am a senior at the University of Florida and will be graduating with a Finance degree in the spring of 2011.

The basis of my investment philosophy is long-term, with an emphasis on patience and discipline. I search for companies within my circle of competence that posses a sustainable competitive advantage, as well as managers that display the highest level of integrity and superior capital allocation skills.

If you are interested in doing business or networking with me, please email me at [email protected]. Thank you for your time.

I think a sale to Nike would make the most sense just from a golf equipment perspective. Acushnet worked great with Titleist making traditions equipment and Cobra making new stuff. Nike could potentially do that same thing.

Nike, I'm betting, doesn't want the Titleist Brand, just Scotty Cameron. Other companies have their big guns in the putter department, Nike putting a Swoosh next to Scotty Cameron only helps them. Course they'd be buying the name and not Don T. Cameron, who I'm assuming would go boutique like Bettinardi did when the Mizzy split happened. But what name could he use? Cause they'd own the brand name.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

MGS, any more info as to "who" spotted Cameron at the Oven? Just some guy? A guy you know? Somebody who's closely connected with Nike/SC/The Dallas Cowboys? Anything? :)

TITLEIST: 905T 8.5° 'Tour Van' Aldila NV 44.5" 65 Stiff

TAYLORMADE: 07 Burner TP Fairway 14.5° Diamana Whiteboard 73 Stiff

ADAMS: IDEA Pro Hybrid TOUR 18° Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff

MIZUNO: MP52 4-PW DG S400 Tour Issue (1/2" Long - 2° Flat)

CLEVELAND: 588 RTG DIADIC 51°, DSG 55°, DSG 59°

TITLEIST: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless 03 Newport 2.5 34"

BRIDGESTONE: Tour B330 (2s only)

SUN MOUNTAIN: Four5 All-Black

• SPY VIP

Peter is actually VP of Business Development and Partnerships for Titleist.

I caddied for Peter Broome, who is the CEO of titleist, a few times this summer at Pine Valley and if I would have know about the selling off of the brand I would have tried to get some inside info from him, maybe next season I'll try and get some info which would be nice

#TruthDigest

Why it will not be Nike or any other big OEM;

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2010-12/golf-titleist-johnson-1209

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

• 2 weeks later...

I think FB is dumping all there brands because golf club sales have dropped drastically since the economy has tanked. Add that to the ridiculous number of high ticket players titleist and FJ have sponsored, they might wanna just cut ties with what they see as a dying market.

HEIDELBERG U. GOLF

What's in the bag?

*Callaway FT-IQ 10 deg. NV protopype

*Callaway X tour 3 wood

*2-pw Titleist 695 mb

*Callaway Jaws 56(bent to 53) & 60 vintage finish

*Ping Zing Redwood

Archived