Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Driver shaft, mechanics, sim issues or all three?

Was testing shaft out last week doing my diy driver fitting. Best length was 44.5”. However with my rdx blue 70g 6.0, on the xgolf sim I was seeing some balls at 140-150’ and steep desert angles despite 2200-2500 rpm of spin. Moved to a smoke green 60g 6.5 and a Accra TZ5 m5 and didn’t see that, although one with the Accra got that high. Could this be a shaft issue, mechanics, sim or all three? I know my mechanics aren’t great but thought it was interesting how the shafts changed things. For ref, smoke green carried as far as rdx blue but was more piercing and therefore got more roll out. 

head was max ls turned down to 8.5*. AOA was neutral to -2. Tee height 1 1/2”. SS on prgr was 108 and SIM 120. 

should note not what I saw on the course with the blue but I was also swinging slower and hitting high toe. Was playing then at stock length. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I don’t trust sims at all so that’s definitely part of whatever the differences are. Trackman, Foresight or flightscope will be more accurate.

but there’s a lot of data missing to include launch, dynamic loft, face to path and contact point for each shot.

In general it’s probably a combo of all 3. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

9 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I don’t trust sims at all so that’s definitely part of whatever the differences are. Trackman, Foresight or flightscope will be more accurate.

but there’s a lot of data missing to include launch, dynamic loft, face to path and contact point for each shot.

In general it’s probably a combo of all 3. 

Contact point was mainly center to slightly center high. Launch on sim for blue was like 14. Green was 10-12. Face to path was reading mostly straight pull even though some still hit target. Dyn  loft can’t help you there. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

8 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Contact point was mainly center to slightly center high. Launch on sim for blue was like 14. Green was 10-12. Face to path was reading mostly straight pull even though some still hit target. Dyn  loft can’t help you there. 

What was dynamic loft?   Could just be that the blue kicked more and increase launch angle or that the shaft causes you to release early.   Really need to see a chart of the numbers.  

Not sure it matters why,  if you are trying to fit, you just need to look at the results.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

So you are swing out to in which is what we have seen in all of your videos. The differences could be how the shaft feels to you. The blue being heavier kind of goes against your thoughts about how lighter shafts make you lose your swing.

It seems like the counterbalance of the blue isn’t as good if a fit as the green. 

where you are making contact on the face is going to produce lower spin numbers but will give higher launch. The peak height of 140’+ is high and that’s probably coming from the across the ball swing and your release.

without seeing the shot by shot chart it’s hard to say what is what, but between a sim that’s not real accurate compared to a launch monitor and your swing those are the main issues.

Like cnosil says if you are going the self fitting route look at the end result especially on course.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1