Youth Clubs

My father-in-law recently gifted my son, who is 7yrs old, his set of clubs. The irons are Mizuno JPX 919 hot metal, driver is Taylormade burner, wedges are Cleveland CBX2 and a Scotty putter. I currently have the Cobra Amps (orange) from years ago. Which would be better to cut down for my son? Thanks for any advice or input.

-Zac

Honest answer - neither. Cutting those down to 7yo length will make them nearly unplayable. You are much better off holding onto them and finding a used set of youth clubs on FB Marketplace or Craigslist. Cutting down the set from your father in law will completely ruin any value in them, which is still pretty high. You could sell the Scotty and get the value for an entire youth set right there. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Halo XL 5i-DW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:EVNROLL: ER5 
:maxfli: Tour S

Thanks for the input Russtopherb! I’m not too concerned about keeping their value since it would mean something to my father-in-law to see his grandson play with his clubs. However, I completely understand what you are saying. I also may keep the Scotty for myself!

17 minutes ago, Zac W said:

Thanks for the input Russtopherb! I’m not too concerned about keeping their value since it would mean something to my father-in-law to see his grandson play with his clubs. However, I completely understand what you are saying. I also may keep the Scotty for myself!

While I get the sentiment, cutting those shafts down to 7yo height will make them play like pieces of rebar. My son played PGA Jr for a number of years and his pro said the absolute worst thing to do equipment wise was to cut down adult clubs. He would loan out junior sets to kids with cut down adult sets because they were unusable and the kids were frustrated and wanting to quit. If your father in law knows anything at all, he’ll understand and want his grandson to actually enjoy playing golf, not use a set of clubs that don’t get the ball airborne. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Halo XL 5i-DW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:EVNROLL: ER5 
:maxfli: Tour S

2 hours ago, Zac W said:

My father-in-law recently gifted my son, who is 7yrs old, his set of clubs. The irons are Mizuno JPX 919 hot metal, driver is Taylormade burner, wedges are Cleveland CBX2 and a Scotty putter. I currently have the Cobra Amps (orange) from years ago. Which would be better to cut down for my son? Thanks for any advice or input.

-Zac

I have to edge towards @russtopherb opinion. Maybe cut down the driver as it is a older club, but the irons aren't going to go bad and as they are a semi game improvement type club they could be amazing for his first "real set" add in having mizuno irons and a Scotty putter as his first real clubs he would be one lucky kid! I can still remember my first real club was a P wedge from Jazz golf... I would as I said maybe cut down the driver, but that still makes the weighting all weird and such, but keep them for when he gets a bit older or to a point where he could mayble play them a inch short and have them cut down a bit and regripped. Hopefully there are plenty of other good youth sets around that can make do for the time. Who knows mabe the wedges are short enough he could possible use them or even the putter?

⛳🛄 as of Oct 5, 2024 (Past WITB
Driver:  :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ - check out the Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ shaft (still love my Cobra F7's)

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron                                

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,57 or :titleist-small: SM10 45,49,53,57 degree wedges

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png LINK! Full putter shootout incoming

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Golf Bag: Ghost Anyday 5.0 Golf bag - Maverick colorway with MGS Logo

Other: Vortex Anarch Rangefinder, searching for electric cart, Red Rooster The Root Glove and more

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I have to edge towards @russtopherb opinion. Maybe cut down the driver as it is a older club, but the irons aren't going to go bad and as they are a semi game improvement type club they could be amazing for his first "real set" add in having mizuno irons and a Scotty putter as his first real clubs he would be one lucky kid! I can still remember my first real club was a P wedge from Jazz golf... I would as I said maybe cut down the driver, but that still makes the weighting all weird and such, but keep them for when he gets a bit older or to a point where he could mayble play them a inch short and have them cut down a bit and regripped. Hopefully there are plenty of other good youth sets around that can make do for the time. Who knows mabe the wedges are short enough he could possible use them or even the putter?

Thanks @GolfSpy_APH! Thanks for the advice! I agree that having Mizuno and a Scotty as a first set would be lucky. I just hope he’ll continue to be interested in the game.