Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Xcalibur Rapid Taper shafts

B_R_A_D_Y

Anyone heard of these new iron shafts? The advertising says slower swing speeds on wedges will experience more spin & stopping power. They make them for hybrids, irons, wedges & putters, but I haven’t found how to fit them yet. I’d like to experiment with them but at $50 per shaft, it’s not gonna happen … to many other things I want first.

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

I have not played them but have read some reviews on them. Gonna go ahead and tag  @Popeye64 on this. Not sure if he is still active or not though

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

1 hour ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

Anyone heard of these new iron shafts? The advertising says slower swing speeds on wedges will experience more spin & stopping power. They make them for hybrids, irons, wedges & putters, but I haven’t found how to fit them yet. I’d like to experiment with them but at $50 per shaft, it’s not gonna happen … to many other things I want first.

The Rapid Tapers have proven to be an incredibly versatile design. 

Fitti g wise they fall in line with any standard flex. Though letting them fall on the weaker side of a preferred flex works very well. Slower swing speed players love them and generally see the biggest distance gains. As speeds increase that huge distance gain gap shrinks. 

If you want to experiment with some let me know I can help you out. 

@Popeye64Are the Rapid Tapers .355 taper tips?  I will be having some Ping Eye 2's reshafted in the future and am considering what shafts to go with.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I was originally thinking about picking up a couple Maltby wedge heads so my Sr group could give the shafts a try. So where I’m confused … swing speed on a wedge inside 30-50 yds shouldn’t be that strong. Most of these guys are punching shots cuz they can’t spin it anymore. How much diff will a shaft make on finesse shots. So I’d really like to see if Xcalibur spin claims only work on full wedge shots, or if they might spin pitches better. Does that make sense? What can you do for me?

7 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

The Rapid Tapers have proven to be an incredibly versatile design. 

Fitti g wise they fall in line with any standard flex. Though letting them fall on the weaker side of a preferred flex works very well. Slower swing speed players love them and generally see the biggest distance gains. As speeds increase that huge distance gain gap shrinks. 

If you want to experiment with some let me know I can help you out. 

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

29 minutes ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

I was originally thinking about picking up a couple Maltby wedge heads so my Sr group could give the shafts a try. So where I’m confused … swing speed on a wedge inside 30-50 yds shouldn’t be that strong. Most of these guys are punching shots cuz they can’t spin it anymore. How much diff will a shaft make on finesse shots. So I’d really like to see if Xcalibur spin claims only work on full wedge shots, or if they might spin pitches better. Does that make sense? What can you do for me?

It's not just full swing shots that make a difference. Finesse shots as well. Mike@TXG has tried out the Spin Wedge shafts on some Kirkland wedges and loved them. He even documented the increase in spin numbers. There are only two flexs for those spin wedges R in 85g and an S in 100 and 115. 

The R flex should work for any player such as a SR. 

But keep in mind they are not miracle shafts. They do increase spin and have amazing feel. But they won't turn a poor player into Phil Michaelson shot game. 

Popeye fit these shafts in all my irons and hybrids and i couldnt be happier. Gained about a club in distance and dispersion is phenomenal. He also did a great job reassembling my iron set which had weights all over the map directly from PXG

Edited by raidernut
Spelling

On 4/16/2023 at 3:26 PM, raidernut said:

Popeye fit these shafts in all my irons and hybrids and i couldnt be happier. Gained about a club in distance and dispersion is phenomenal. He also did a great job reassembling my iron set which had weights all over the map directly from PXG

What was the effect, if any, on your trajectory?

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS