Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Kikkor Tour Athlete and Pure Golf Shoe - REVIEW

Kikkor Golf Tour Athlete and Kikkor Pure Shoe Reviews

Kikkor Pure (1).JPG

Kikkor Tour Athlete (3).JPG

Introduction

Last year, I rated the Dress Sneaker by Kikkor Golf as one of my “Best of the Year” products. It was the shoe I golfed in virtually every time I went out. This year, Kikkor is offering an even broader lineup of shoes, so myself and the other golf spies are putting different models to the test to see if they can “walk in the shoes” (I crack myself up) of last year's models. Dave reviewed the Slyder here, and I'll be reviewing both the Kikkor Tour Athlete and Kikkor Pure.

Kikkor Pure (3).JPG

Kikkor Tour Athlete (4).JPG

Style – 20 Points

Style is one thing that all Kikkors have in abundance. If you're wearing Kikkors, it is unlikely that anyone in your group has shoes that look like yours...and yours are cooler. I particularly like the variety in this year's lineup: they have everything from a more traditional shoe (the Pure) to a Vans-style slip on (the Slyder). This means everyone should be able to find something in the line that they can wear with confidence.

Speaking specifically about the Tour Athlete, it brings to mind an indoor soccer shoe like the Adidas Samba with its black upper and gum sole. Where it pops is with the lime green logos. And if the logos don't give you enough green, you can swap the black laces for lime green ones (both are included).

The Pure is a more traditional looking wingtip-style shoe. While it is more traditional looking, it does manage to blend in just enough of the skate shoe/sneaker look to be unique. My wife referred to them as “a traditional golf shoe from the future.”

Score: 20/20

Kikkor Pure (2).JPG

Kikkor Tour Athlete (6).JPG

Comfort – 25 points

Last year, I rated the Dress Sneaker a perfect 25/25 for comfort. While this year's Kikkor shoes are equally comfortable, they are no longer a perfect 25 because the comfort “ceiling” has been raised. Let me be as clear as I can: both styles of Kikkors are very very comfortable. They are much more comfortable than your average golf shoe. They even include two sets of insoles (one thick, one thin) so that you can customize the fit. That said, the standard has changed, so these are no longer “perfect” with regard to comfort, simply very good.

Score: 23/25

Kikkor Pure (4).JPG

Kikkor Tour Athlete (7).JPG

Performance – 20 points

When you're testing shoes that don't have traditional spikes, the first question is always, “Does it have good traction?” The first round I had with the Kikkor Tour Athlete was an excellent test: every tee box was a mud pit, giving me ample opportunity to slip or spin. I am happy to report that I did neither.

The Tour Athlete features a new sole design for 2012 that Kikkor calls VEKTRboard. You can see it in the pictures, but here's the gist: the heel has cleats that are straight up and down, the mid-sole is pretty flat, and the toe has curved cleats. Kikkor claims that this curved cleat will work for both right and left handedness. While I can't speak for the lefties, I can say that it definitely has plenty of traction for this right hander.

The Pure has the same sole and spike pattern as the Dress Sneaker that I reviewed last year. As you would expect, they offer just as much traction. I think I do prefer the VEKTRboard sole, but I am perfectly happy playing in either pair.

With regard to weight, the Tour Athlete is the lightest golf shoe I've ever worn. It weighs a mere 10.5 ounces. As I mentioned in a previous shoe review, it's my opinion that, for walkers, light weight shoes are a substantial advantage. The Pure, true to its chunkier appearance, weighs a hair over 18 ounces which still makes it lighter than most traditional golf shoes.

Score: 20/20

Kikkor Pure (9).JPG

Kikkor Tour Athlete (5).JPG

Value – 20 points

The Kikkor Tour Athlete retails through Kikkors website for $79, and the Pure is $109. With the “average” golf shoe being about $100, the Tour Athlete offers a bit of savings and, more importantly, a great shoe. The Pure earns its slightly higher price tag by being made out of full grain leather and offering a one-year waterproof warranty.

This price also includes two sets of laces and two sets of insoles (one is thinner for “people with wider feet”). While this wouldn't justify spending money on shoes that didn't perform, it's a nice bonus when the shoes are already a good value.

The only hang up that some people will have is the longevity. My experience with the Dress Sneakers tells me that the sole will offer really good traction for about one season (if these prove dramatically different, I will report back). Beyond that first season, the shoe is still very wearable, but there will be some loss of grip. So for the guys like my father-in-law, who buys new golf shoes once a decade, these are not the best choice. For the rest of us, they're a solid value.

Score: 17/20

Kikkor Pure (5).JPG

Kikkor Tour Athlete (8).JPG

The Peanut Gallery – 15 points

One thing that has surprised me about Kikkor shoes is their universal appeal. I knew that people my age would probably like them, but I played golf with two retired gentlemen recently who both wanted to know what kind of shoes I was wearing and where they could buy some.

Also to my surprise, the Pure grabbed even more attention than the Tour Athlete. The first time I wore them in the shop, I got comments, all positive, from literally every person I interacted with. One of the oldest Peanut Gallery members immediately asked where he could get some. Our youngest member gushed, “Sick shoes!”

The other thing that is very unique for a Peanut Gallery is that people actually expressed interest in buying their own. Frequent readers know that the Peanut Gallery's standard reaction is, “That's nice…but I wouldn't buy one.” In the case of the Kikkors, it was more like, “Ooooh, sweet…where can I get some?”

Score: 15/15

Kikkor Pure (11).JPG

Kikkor Tour Athlete (8).JPG

Final Thoughts

So did this year's Kikkors live up to last year's? Yes, and then some. The new lineup features a wider variety of styles, a new and improved sole, and extra insoles for a customizable fit. While there are an increasing amount of “spike-less” shoes out there, no one is in the same ballpark with Kikkor when it comes to style. Get some Kikkors and make your feet more awesome.

Score: 95/100

Kikkor Tour Athlete (9).JPG

Kikkor Pure (14).JPG

VISIT WEBSITE: www.kikkor.com

FOLLOW ON TWITTER: https://twitter.com/#!/Kikkorgolf

FOLLOW ON FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/kikkorgolf

Kikkor Pure (12).JPG

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

The fact that they look so good and under $80 is AMAZING. I love the Black Venom color pattern. You just helped me pick out my next pair of golf shoes. Once my Footjoys are done its Kikkor Tour Athletes for me. :)

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

Thanks for the review -- clear, concise, objective --- very good insight into the product. Makes it easy to make buying decisions! You guys rock!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived