Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Are grips personal preference or is there more of a science to finding the right grip?

I believe texture of the golf grip is a matter of preference and climate you play. Example in Texas summers in the 100’s we need grips that are either coarse or tacky. However, when it comes to grip size and wraps that is different. As others stated too fat and you won’t release the club. Too thin and your hands could be too active. There are also other considerations: do you have extra large or small hands, very active hands, any pain in your hands or arthritis. These all can have a factor in the type/size/tape wrap of your grip. Best bet is to get fitted by a Pro that is a very savy on club building.

Play like a champion today!

• 2 weeks later...

Even later to join in… 

I wear 2xl gloves and maybe should wear 3xl. Past 25 years I’ve played mid size GP tour wraps with 3 layers of tape.  Been thinking of going a little bigger but don’t want to pull grips at this point. So, I’m going to add a layer or two of bat or tennis racket grip tape for testing purposes then measure and match what feels/works best. Who knows….. I could easily end up just taping the whole set if I like it. 

For those older souls…. Anyone remember Tacki-Mak grips? For a while back around 1990 I played Tacki-Mak tour wrap jumbos but went smaller when I got new irons as they felt too big at the time. I did love the feel of those grips.