Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Are grips personal preference or is there more of a science to finding the right grip?

1 hour ago, Ben Joest said:

Swinging a standard grip for me feels like I am strangling a pencil, so I haven’t tried undersized. That being said, there is no harm in trying it out on your driver, then making the switch for all your clubs if the fit is a good one. Worst case scenario, you’re out the cost of 2 grips and the time it takes to install them. Sounds like a low risk proposition.

... Grips are the only equipment we actually touch so critically important to get it right. I am always amazed when picking up someones wedge to hand them when they are putting out, to find they are so slick I couldn't hold them with my loose grip. They would just slip out of my hands and that forces you to grip with more pressure making your forearms tight. Since the grip is all we touch it just seems like most would make sure that part of their equipment is perfect for them. As a long time forum member and equipment aficionado I think experimentation with all your equipment is the key to playing your best. Those with small hands may find a mid size grip works best for them as well as those with big hands playing an undersized grip. They would be the exception of course but you don't know if you are the exception unless you try. And as you said, it's a low risk proposition. I would try every size grip (and have) other than jumbo because mid size was already too large for me. And ... Clean Your Grips Folks!!!  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

On 6/11/2023 at 8:59 PM, aguybadatgolf said:

I'm curious about the difference between adding a few extra wraps and going up a grip size. Adding the extra wraps at the bottom makes sense, I might try that myself. 

Over the years I've done a fair amount of experimentation, given that I install my own grips. I wear an XL glove and find the best combo is midsize (CPX) with 3 wraps for my long and mid clubs and midsize 3 1/2 wraps (MCC+4) for my wedges. The 1/2 wrap is on the bottom half of the grip. My wife, who wears a ladies small size glove - liked my set-up so she had me do the same thing with her clubs with the only difference being she wanted midsize MCC+4 on all of her clubs. She has a bit of arthritis in her hands so that combo feels best for her. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

42 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Grips are the only equipment we actually touch so critically important to get it right. I am always amazed when picking up someones wedge to hand them when they are putting out, to find they are so slick I couldn't hold them with my loose grip. They would just slip out of my hands and that forces you to grip with more pressure making your forearms tight. Since the grip is all we touch it just seems like most would make sure that part of their equipment is perfect for them. As a long time forum member and equipment aficionado I think experimentation with all your equipment is the key to playing your best. Those with small hands may find a mid size grip works best for them as well as those with big hands playing an undersized grip. They would be the exception of course but you don't know if you are the exception unless you try. And as you said, it's a low risk proposition. I would try every size grip (and have) other than jumbo because mid size was already too large for me. And ... Clean Your Grips Folks!!!  

Great info!  I am going to give it a try.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Having talked to a few different grip companies there is so much more than any of us think that goes behind their processes of making grips and the tech and materials it has as well. 

Truthfully my mind was kinda blown away with all that goes into grips.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

16 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Having talked to a few different grip companies there is so much more than any of us think that goes behind their processes of making grips and the tech and materials it has as well. 

Truthfully my mind was kinda blown away with all that goes into grips.

... Amen, how things have changed from the old Tour Velvet only for good players days. I am especially picky because I don't use a glove so ideally I want a secure non slip grip without feeling tacky. That wasn't possible several years ago but Lamkin's fingerprint tech do just that. And the slightly larger lower hand means no layers of tape. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

5 hours ago, jdparker said:

Has anyone here tried undersized grips?  By size calculation I should be standard but I'm all hand and my fingers/thumb are shorter.  

I noticed movement in my thumb the other day swinging the driver and it got me reading some articles on grip size.  My driver miss is a fade/slice. 

I have tried undersized grips as I wear a cadet s glove. However, I have very active hands from my baseball days. So, my tendency with the undersized grips was to flip my hands and hit too many wild hooks. Went to standard grips and my hands work better. Or at least mentally it all worked out! 

Play like a champion today!

5 hours ago, jdparker said:

Has anyone here tried undersized grips?  By size calculation I should be standard but I'm all hand and my fingers/thumb are shorter.  

I noticed movement in my thumb the other day swinging the driver and it got me reading some articles on grip size.  My driver miss is a fade/slice. 

You could say that I try undersized grips all the time when I go to demo a club. Seems like more often than not those demos will have Tour Velvet standard size. It feels like the club is twisting in my hand so I tend to tighten the grip with standards - generally not a good result. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

4 hours ago, chisag said:

Great points especially on cleaning the grips. I would also add that if you are playing 100 plus rounds a year to change the grips each spring. 

4 minutes ago, Javs said:

I have tried undersized grips as I wear a cadet s glove. However, I have very active hands from my baseball days. So, my tendency with the undersized grips was to flip my hands and hit too many wild hooks. Went to standard grips and my hands work better. Or at least mentally it all worked out! 

I tend to be the opposite and hold on a little more.  I ordered one to give it a go and we will see how it goes.  It's one area that I haven't messed with much and wanting to get my handicap down, I am really starting to focus on the little things.

Also, noticed you are out of Georgetown.  We will have to go play a round sometime!  I'm out in Lago Vista

1 minute ago, jdparker said:

I tend to be the opposite and hold on a little more.  I ordered one to give it a go and we will see how it goes.  It's one area that I haven't messed with much and wanting to get my handicap down, I am really starting to focus on the little things.

Also, noticed you are out of Georgetown.  We will have to go play a round sometime!  I'm out in Lago Vista

Hopefully they will work for you! It’s so funny in this game how little adjustments in technique or equipment can make such a difference. Just like once you mentally stop liking a club then it needs a time out. I am very funny that way with drivers and putters. Then after month or so I will put the club back in the bag and it’s like the return of an old friend. Maybe once the weather gets decent again we can tee it up somewhere. I am in Sun City Georgetown. 

1 minute ago, Javs said:

Hopefully they will work for you! It’s so funny in this game how little adjustments in technique or equipment can make such a difference. Just like once you mentally stop liking a club then it needs a time out. I am very funny that way with drivers and putters. Then after month or so I will put the club back in the bag and it’s like the return of an old friend. Maybe once the weather gets decent again we can tee it up somewhere. I am in Sun City Georgetown. 

Cruel and fun game all at the same time!  

Sounds great!  

Well guys there r do many textures of grips just make sure u put them n ur hands for feel because some r smooth rough n undersized will make u draw the ball with any club n hand oversized make u fade the ball so check the hand chart at the golf shop ok 

Cecil Williams 

6 hours ago, jdparker said:

I have tried them when they have been installed on clubs provided for most wanted testing.  JDM clubs seem to occasionally come with undersize grips.   I feel a difference, but don't notice any performance differences. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Though anecdotal, I was suffering from terrible hand pain, arthritis related, after playing or practicing. I'm told I was gripping the club too tight. Mentally, I'm gripping it just enough to control the face and not lose the club down the fairway.

Moving to a midsize grip has all but alleviated the pain. Whether it's because I don't get the larger size as tight or if it fits better, don't know. Don't care, either. My hands are more functional now.

I don't have big hands but the larger grip just "fits" my hand better.

Might be worth an experiment if your hands are also suffering.

Cheers
B

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

I decided to also order a jumbo max grip in XS based on their website sizing quiz and I am going to throw that on the 3 wood.  

15 hours ago, Cecil Williams said:

Well guys there r do many textures of grips just make sure u put them n ur hands for feel because some r smooth rough n undersized will make u draw the ball with any club n hand oversized make u fade the ball so check the hand chart at the golf shop ok 

I agree with the you need to try them idea.  But, Is the fade with larger and draw with smaller from personal experience or a generalization?   I have tried a variety of grips and don’t necessarily see that correlation with my swing.   Undersize for me often makes me hold the face open a bit and larger causes me to roll over.   I’d also suggest looking at the amount of taper in the grip as it would probably influence the dominant hand actions during the swing.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I use a large glove and switched to midsize over 15 years ago after continuously wearing out the heel/palms of my glove with standard size GP tour velvet. 

I was watching a video of my swing and saw that I was releasing and regripping the club at the top of my backswing with the smaller grips which caused all sorts of issues - and rubbing on the heel of my hand.  With the Midsize grips it stays in my fingers better and stops the “regripping”. 
As I’m getting older and some weakness is creeping into my hands, I’m considering moving up another size to help solidify my grip at the top.

Ping G425 LST

Ping G425 3 wood

Taylormade Stealth 19deg hybrid

PXG 0211 XCore 5-GW

Cleveland RTX4 SW 52, 56, 60

Odysssey 2 Ball putter

On 10/29/2023 at 5:22 PM, Javs said:

I would also add that if you are playing 100 plus rounds a year to change the grips each spring. 

That's for sure! I was out on the range today and used my old Glide 2.0 LW (which hasn't been in my bag for 2 years) along with the clubs I just regripped. What a way to see the difference between older worn-out grips and new ones . 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

On 10/29/2023 at 5:59 PM, barney_bogey said:

Though anecdotal, I was suffering from terrible hand pain, arthritis related, after playing or practicing. I'm told I was gripping the club too tight. Mentally, I'm gripping it just enough to control the face and not lose the club down the fairway.

Moving to a midsize grip has all but alleviated the pain. Whether it's because I don't get the larger size as tight or if it fits better, don't know. Don't care, either. My hands are more functional now.

I don't have big hands but the larger grip just "fits" my hand better.

Might be worth an experiment if your hands are also suffering.

Cheers
B

Spot on - see my previous post re: the grips I installed on my wife's clubs - - midsize with extra tape even though she wears a small glove. . 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

56 minutes ago, GreenStrider said:

Surprising that no one has mentioned swing weight (which will change when you swap out the original grip for a midsize or jumbo).

That will depend on the grips you use and the weights of the grips.   You could use Jumbomax which offers grips that are lighter or equal to some standard size grips.   Additionally swing weight changes may not impact the payer negatively.    Either way, finding the right grips should be donE and then make necessary adjustments to swingweight if needed,  

Ok, I got out and hit the driver this morning and "undersized" is not for me.  I actually think I lost SS and I am glad I ordered a JumboMax in their recommended XS and it arrives today.  

So I just measured my hand via the sizing chart and from the crease at the bottom of my hand to the tip of my index finger is 7.5" . According to the chart that is at the top of the standard size grip range, I wear a cadet large glove in Footjoy or sometimes large or m/l in other brands, I have a large palm and shorter fingers so its hard to find a glove that fits right. Anyway I'm playing midsize grips on most of my clubs in a MCC +4 but recently bought a used 7 wood that had a MCC +4 in standard and it got me thinking maybe I'm playing the wrong sized grips. I know its mostly personal preference and I went to midsize to reduce grip pressure but is there a rule of thumb as far as when you are at the upper end of the fitment guide? Appreciate nay help in advance

IMG_2947.jpg

Edited by G0al3d

What's in my ping-Ti.png.6cd5b395c0cff9084e0a161b65c03b28.png Pioneer Bag:

Driver: ping-Ti.png.6cd5b395c0cff9084e0a161b65c03b28.png G430 Max 10k 9* (fujikra.png.8382fa5c997744d5f1292f9e8f7a8183.png Speeder NX 50s)

3 & 7 Woods: ping-Ti.png.6cd5b395c0cff9084e0a161b65c03b28.png G430 Max (fujikra.png.8382fa5c997744d5f1292f9e8f7a8183.png Speeder NX 60s/70s)

3 & 4 Hybrids: ping-Ti.png.6cd5b395c0cff9084e0a161b65c03b28.png G430 (KBS Tour Prototype Hybrid 75r) 

5 - PW Irons: mizuno-png-file-mizuno-logo-svg-1280-Ti.png.126a6588b3a078798a2ef7665da37175.png Pro 243 (KBS $ Taper 120s)

Wedges: cleveland-Ti.png.75bbccb15db6b4f1af15544ff6d82299.png RTX-6 50*/54* (mid) CBX&RTX Full-Face2 58*

Putter: lablogo_small_stacked.png.6384fc480e5c02d0a2a3ce2194f2fc8a.png DF 2.1 TPT shaft

Ball: Titleist ProV1

arccos.png.b5139ec0e8590e6219c1043121e31b84.png

I have assorted grip sizes on clubs. I have bad hands that are getting progressively worse. I have gone all way on the spectrum. Different days, different feel. I play by “ feel “ ( whatever  that definition is ). I have gone down to Lamkin  Crossline Plus Midsize for my new wedges. Hoping they are at least part of the answer that I need. 
     I am interested in any grip that might help alleviate the pain in my hands. I haven’t tried any of the so-called arthritis grips. Anybody given any of those a try?

I had to move to larger grips due to having carpal tunnel in both hands (actually had surgery on the left hand). So due to that I couldn't close my hands or grip a smaller grip very well. I went from standard size to jumbo grips and have experimented with that size. I always liked the feel of the Winn Dry Tac Jumbo grips and when Jumbo Max came out, I tried those. Their size chart put me in their medium size which felt like I was holding a ball bat. So I tried their small size and now down to their XS size which is about 1/16 larger than a Winn jumbo size. They are a bit harder (feel wise) than the Winn grips but definitely last longer. I'm thinking this year I may try a Winn jumbo with 4 wraps to get to the XS size of the Jumbo Max. For me, since moving to the larger grips, I don't have to use as much pressure which allows me to really swing freely. People were telling me that moving to larger grips would cause me to slice it more, but I haven't found that at all for me. Maybe that's a result of having baseball type swing for over 38 years. LOL I do agree that it's all personal preference since if it's not comfortable in your hands, you won't have much confidence which in turn creates worse results in my opinion. Just my 2 cents worth!!

Driver: Callaway Epic Speed 9* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65, Stiff

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 3 Wood 14* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75, Stiff

Hybrids: Callaway Epic Flash #3 17* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 70, Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash #4 20* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 70, Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash #5 23* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 70, Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash #6 26* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 65, Regular

Irons: Ping G430, Red Dot, 7, 8, 9, W, 45.5*, 50*, ALTA CB BLACK, Regular

Wedges: Edison Forged - 55*, KBS PGI 80, Regular 2* Flat

Putter: Odyssey Toe Up #1, Ball: Vice Pro

• 3 months later...

Late to the party, but here's my $.02- your mileage may vary...

For me, it's all about feel.  Seems like every manufacturer will tell you their grips are the "best" for your game.  Theirs will help you hit straighter, farther etc...

First set of clubs I bought (15+ years ago) had Lamkin regular-sized grips ( honestly couldn't tell you the model)...and since I didn't know better that's what I played.  Couldn't figure out why my hands ached for days after a round... simple answer: I was having to grip extra hard to hold onto the club! Sigh.

Fast forward to 2022 when I went to our local golf store and the guys in the pro shop actually took the time to explain grips, sizes and their effect on my swing.  Tried a lot of grips that day and finally settled on Golf Pride CP2 Wrap with 4 wraps . It has made a world of difference to my very mediocre game. I can play 18 multiple times per week without my hands threatening to go on strike!  

Hopefully you've gotten whatever grips you chose and have been enjoying them!

JD

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 Max (Mitsubishi C6 Blue 60S 2022) chosen as one of the lucky testers of the Autoflex Dream 7 shaft!!!

Hybrids: Taylomade Qi10 3 & 4 Rescue (Ventus TR  HB Blue 6R)

Irons: Taylormade Qi 5-PW (Ventus TR Blue 6R)

Wedges: Cleveland RTx 4 52/56/60 Wedges (True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Tour )

Putter: Cleveland Frontline 10.0

New Gamer Ball: Taylormade 2024  TP5x 

On 11/7/2023 at 8:36 PM, G0al3d said:

So I just measured my hand via the sizing chart and from the crease at the bottom of my hand to the tip of my index finger is 7.5" . According to the chart that is at the top of the standard size grip range, I wear a cadet large glove in Footjoy or sometimes large or m/l in other brands, I have a large palm and shorter fingers so its hard to find a glove that fits right. Anyway I'm playing midsize grips on most of my clubs in a MCC +4 but recently bought a used 7 wood that had a MCC +4 in standard and it got me thinking maybe I'm playing the wrong sized grips. I know its mostly personal preference and I went to midsize to reduce grip pressure but is there a rule of thumb as far as when you are at the upper end of the fitment guide? Appreciate nay help in advance

IMG_2947.jpg

Great question, I believe grip size is really important, and getting the right size will definitely help your ball striking. 
I guess the “right size” is always the question. It has to do with the “release” or squaring up of your hands at impact. Too big a grip and your hands will stay a bit open at impact and push your ahot, too small and your hands will close a bit at impact causing a pull to the left. 
now having said all of that you will get the feel  of any size and adjust over time however getting fit properly will take one more variable out of the golf equation!!

good luck with finding your size grip, a pga pro can help you with that. 

committed to performance excellence