Talk me off the ledge here lol, thinking of selling my 921 Forged's

NorthTXGolf

So years ago I got into golf, dove right into it. Played a crazy amount and got fairly good pretty quickly.

Then life happened, kid very into sports, another one about to be into sports so my time is extremely limited.

I bought these irons when they first came out and literally have played with them no more than a few times and hit them at the range a few times.

I feel like I literally cannot hit them well lol. Obviously its not the club as the 921 forged's are fairly beloved it seems. But with how much I play now and giant reduction in skill im highly considering selling them and moving back to more of a GI iron.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't sell.

Even with a GI set there will still be misses and bad strikes..a GI iron won't solve all of that. 

Selling you'll get a decent return, but not enough to buy a full new set so you'll then be spending more money on something you're not playing much. 

With a little more practice and time I'm guessing the swing will come back and you'll feel right at home again. 

⛳🛄 as of Oct 5, 2024 (Past WITB
Driver:  :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ - check out the Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ shaft (still love my Cobra F7's)

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron                                

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,57 or :titleist-small: SM10 45,49,53,57 degree wedges

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png LINK! Full putter shootout incoming

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Golf Bag: Ghost Anyday 5.0 Golf bag - Maverick colorway with MGS Logo

Other: Vortex Anarch Rangefinder, searching for electric cart, Red Rooster The Root Glove and more

My advice would be to hold onto them for now. I keep a set of Callaway Apex MBs, for the following reasons: They are gorgeous. I can play them periodically to remind myself both that I am good enough, but also that the added forgiveness of my current clubs is nice. 

As Jamie pointed out, you are unlikely to recoup what you paid for them. Another path, depending on your financial situation, may be to take a look at some of the DTC offerings from Takomo, Sub 70, Caley, etc. a set of their gi or pd irons can be had at a reasonable price, without feeling like you have to sell one to finance the other. Takomo and Caley have had member testing this season, so there is a wealth of information available in the corresponding threads to help you determine which set might be a good fit. Good luck in whichever direction you head, but if you do decide to try something new, as always, pics and details, because we like that sort of thing.

WITB:

D: :titleist-small: GT-2 10° w/ GD Tour AD-UB 6s

3W: :titleist-small: GT-3 15 Tensei Black 75 X

3h: :ping-small: G430 18° Tour 2.0/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

4i:mizuno-small: Pro 225 with Project X io 6.0

6i-PW:  :mizuno-small: Pro 225 with Recoil 110 f4

50,54° & 58°: :vokey-small: SM-10

P:   :L.A.B.: Link.1

Ball:  :vice: Pro Plus Drip

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Take it from someone who took about 8 years off from regular play due to “life”, you will eventually find the time to play consistently again. I agree that holding on to the clubs in hand is the best option. You can use them during this irregular playing time and if/when you are able to get back into the game regularly then you can look to purchasing a more appropriate set to fit you at that time.  Most important is to realize that your game will not be its best during this time and no GI will make it any better. Just enjoy being out whenever you are able. 

• PING G430 LST 10.5 driver
  • Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3w
  • PING G400 5w
  • Cobra Speedzone 3h
  • Srixon z585 irons 5-AW
  • Cleveland CBX2 52
  • Cleveland CBX 56
  • PING Heppler Anser 2 putter

yeah all good points. Im in my own head mostly lol.

I guess my thoughts were I have access to the PXG heroes prices and was considering something like the gen 5 0311 XP when seems to sit between GI and PD irons like my Forged's. With the heroes prices and sale of the 921's it would be close to a wash id think. 

But yeah probably just need to start going to the driving range again. Suck it up and learn to hit again lol.

1 hour ago, NorthTXGolf said:

So years ago I got into golf, dove right into it. Played a crazy amount and got fairly good pretty quickly.

Then life happened, kid very into sports, another one about to be into sports so my time is extremely limited.

I bought these irons when they first came out and literally have played with them no more than a few times and hit them at the range a few times.

I feel like I literally cannot hit them well lol. Obviously its not the club as the 921 forged's are fairly beloved it seems. But with how much I play now and giant reduction in skill im highly considering selling them and moving back to more of a GI iron.

Thoughts?

If you have the intention of getting back, shelf them. If it's going to be 20 years before that happens, maybe use that cash for something else in the mean time. This question usually has more to do with personal circumstance than golf. 921's are nice irons but if it will be some time before, then maybe the tech will be too far gone and an upgrade may be necessary anyways!

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

1 hour ago, NorthTXGolf said:

Thoughts?

Agree with most, keep them and just work on your game. If months go by and your still not confident then maybe get some GI irons if it makes you feel more confident looking down at them. Plus new iron feels always help my game 😂

WITB

Not sure what your budget is for buying additional clubs, but maybe you can buy some used game improvement irons to help you get back into things, and holding on to the 921s for when you get your groove back.

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Ai Smoke Max D (MCA Tensei AV Series Blue 55 Graphite)

Woods: :taylormade-small: Taylormade Qi10 Max 3 wood and 7 wood (Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50), :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Stealth 2 HD 5 Wood (Fujikura Speeder NX Red Regular)

Hybrid:  :cleveland-small: Cleveland Halo XL 4 Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 65 HYBRID)

Irons: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Apex 21 DCB (Project X IO Steel R), 

Wedges: :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 50, :cleveland-small: Cleveland RTX Full-face 2 54, :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Jaws Full Face 58

Putter: :cleveland-small: Cleveland HB Soft #8P (UST All-In)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Q Star Tour

This truly is a budgetary question first and foremost. If you need the trade in or resale dollars to purchase a new set of irons then it matters. If you don’t, just pick up a set of something a little less gamey to see you through. Life has stages, I played lots of golf early, Ram Tour grinds (muscle backs), moved to Ping Eye 2’s through the early childhood elementary years with my children’s d they helped me hold my game together while I had less time to play.  Nicklaus pro combos were an incredible set from my late 40’s to mid 50’s. I played really well with them. Now it’s PD clubs.

i did think that I read that you’ve never hit those irons well. I think the PXG gen 5’s are a great option and a wise move on your part if you can only own 1 set. 

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

The 921 Forged are a great set of irons and quite forgiving but still require a fair amount of skill to hit well. If you are looking for something on the more forgiving side then definitely trade them in and get fitted. But if you are willing to put in some time and some lessons I think you’ll find this to be an amazing set of irons. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Velocore+ Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Pro X3+