Testers Wanted: Precision Pro Titan Elite Rangefinder ×

When to get fitted

Siamese Moose

I will be getting new irons and wedges sometime relatively soon. I was planning to do it in the Spring, however, I recently read an article (that now I can't find again) that made the case for getting fit at the end of the year. The gist was that you've been playing all summer, and your golf muscles and mechanics are in better shape now that they will be after the winter. (I'm in Ohio, no four season golf for me!) Other advantages are the fitter's schedule is much more open, and delivery times are generally better. Most brands have already released next year's clubs, so that should minimize the risk of missing out on a new release. My fitter, of course, says do it now, he's got time. (An additional factor is that he's really good, I like working with him, and he knows my swing, but there's a real chance he moves on over the winter, and I lose him.) I've dropped a message to my instructor, but haven't heard back from him yet. I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on the matter.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

You don’t necessarily want to get fit at the very beginning of the season because you have had time off and there are kinks in the swing that need to be worked out. Getting fit after having some time to play and practice is much better option. 

Doing it now if you have played frequently enough isn’t bad because the fitters aren’t as busy and can give more time in a fitting and let it run longer without affecting their schedule and other clients. The downside is those with yealry releases may be low on stock and you may not be able to get what you were fit too and there’s no guarantee the new model works the same for you so you would need to do another fitting to make sure 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1