Odyssey Ai-ONE Putters - 2023 Forum Review

GolfSpy_BOS

Weather permitted,  I will be back at the course this Friday to perform some real feel testing across 3 types of balls again. Cheap, Supersoft, and prov1x

Edited by Rob Person

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

21 hours ago, buckpillar said:

Great day to roll some putts, this morning was 48* and with the light rain overnight made the green roll very nice.

I rolled 80 total putts off the TOE of the AI#1 (40) and my old Odyssey (40). I have added the best photos of the dispersion and calculated some numbers with the results that I came up with for this review.

I was putting from 15ft to the imaginary 3ft circle, putting one way uphill with left to right break, downhill with right to left break and finally some straight putts. I can tell you that there was a big difference in feel, speed and over all performance with the AI#1 compared to the old Odyssey, with AI#1 taking the Crown for this 1st test.

The performance of the AI#1 was really impressive, putting from the Toe, I DID NOT feel any difference hitting it off the toe than I did hitting it on center. Seemed as the ball did not skid very much and started rolling almost immediately.

The ball speed was very close to center strikes and seemingly kept the line that I was putting on, there were a couple putts I hit low on the putter face but still rolled out more than I thought they would.

My old Odyssey, was a struggle to get the ball rolling well off the toe, distance control was inconsistent, at times felt like the the face twisted and I had to make a effort to roll the ball, almost felt as if I was guiding the ball to the hole while trying to keep it on line. not a good feeling.

1. Speed- AI#1 speed was almost identical to center strikes with a couple operator errors hitting low on the putter face.

2. Distance control- AI#1 overall was great, providing a tighter dispersion than the old putter.

3. Feel- AI#1 toe putts felt the same as center strikes vs the old putter that was very inconsistent off the toe.

Best dispersion photos below.

Short- Old Odyssey averaged 18% short - AI#1 averaged 9.5% short of the hole. (My thought was the ball was going to stop, but kept rolling, so I would say that the AI insert technology did very well.) 

Long- Old Odyssey averaged 11.5% longer - AI#1 averaged 10% going past the hole.

Hope this review was informative, the AI#1 opened my eyes to how reliable the AI technology helped my putting off the toe.

DL3.jpg

DL2.jpg

DL1.jpg

AI5.jpg

AI3.jpg

AI4.jpg

AI2.jpg

AI1.jpg

20231224_084821.jpg

DL4.jpg

DL5.jpg

Nice feedback @buckpillar!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Titleist U505 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons (4-PW)

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

1 hour ago, TJ Hall said:

Nice feedback @buckpillar!

Thank you, I hope everyone has/had a wonderful Christmas and looking forward to a great New Year!! 

Merry Christmas MyGolfSpy Nation!!!!!

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

I just hit the AI 1, the Odyssey 5K 7 and a  TM Spider Tour.  I have to admit I really like the soft feel of the AI.  I holed two twenty footers with the first two tries and the third putt was inches from the cup.  I’m waiting for the AI 7 DB because I have a straight back and forward putting stroke. Unfortunately Odyssey isn’t releasing them until February. 

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

1 hour ago, Lefty11 said:

I just hit the AI 1, the Odyssey 5K 7 and a  TM Spider Tour.  I have to admit I really like the soft feel of the AI.  I holed two twenty footers with the first two tries and the third putt was inches from the cup.  I’m waiting for the AI 7 DB because I have a straight back and forward putting stroke. Unfortunately Odyssey isn’t releasing them until February. 

Did you notice any difference in the speed and sound coming off the putter face between your putters?

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

2 hours ago, Lefty11 said:

It will be worth the wait…I was gaming the Spider Tour before the Ai (7S) and I’m not looking back at this point.  For me, the Ai was softer off the face than the Spider.

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

17 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

It will be worth the wait…I was gaming the Spider Tour before the Ai (7S) and I’m not looking back at this point.  For me, the Ai was softer off the face than the Spider.

Excellent, I have similar thoughts but I need more putts. My new putting green should be here early next week. Then I can roll more putts on the patio.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

1 hour ago, buckpillar said:

Did you notice any difference in the speed and sound coming off the putter face between your putters?

I would say the AI face seemed hotter than the other two putters. But the feel off the face was softer and felt perfect for me.  I’ve been gaming an old Scotty Cameron Newport Stainless.   I’m overdue for a new putter as it’s been years.  It’s the oldest club in my bag.  

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

1 hour ago, Lefty11 said:

I would say the AI face seemed hotter than the other two putters. But the feel off the face was softer and felt perfect for me.  I’ve been gaming an old Scotty Cameron Newport Stainless.   I’m overdue for a new putter as it’s been years.  It’s the oldest club in my bag.  

I won a Scotty Cameron Select squareback 1.5 at an outing earlier this year, put it into play, it's ok, once I finish my testing against my old Odyssey, the SC will be the next competitor.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

Odyssey AI#1 Heel putting test.

Rolled plenty of putts over the past 2 days testing off center HEEL putts from the Odyssey AI#1 putter, Odyssey Divine Line and Scotty Cameron.

The test conducted from 18ft on the patio carpet, rolls similar to the greens at the country club. The patio is mostly level, some small right to left break and smooth where testing took place.

·         Odyssey AI#1 – I have to say this putter continues to amaze me and make me a believer. Heel putts were effortless coming off the face, sound was soft and the distance control was very reliable compared to the other putters, no worries about hitting it harder to get it to the hole. The AI#1 kept the ball online, how a gear affect would bring the ball online with off center hits. The roll off the heel did not skid as much compared to the other putters from what I could tell, the ball started rolling end over end quicker and definitely rolled out further. Ball speed was consistent on all putts. Dispersion and accuracy were better, compared to the other putters in this test. My feeling of the counter balance of the AI#1 putter helped stabilize my hands allowing my stroke to release of the putter and assist keeping the putt online.

·         Odyssey Divine Line, believe it or not this OLD putter I concluded that it out-performed the Scotty, the heel putts felt not as jagged and the sound was louder but felt almost as soft as the AI#1. Distance control was a little shorter than the AI#1.

·         Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5, heel putts felt almost like hitting a rock with a stick, the sound and feel were off, sounded clunky and felt I really needed to help get the ball rolling, feeling was I needed more effort/force to get the ball to the hole. Distance control was erratic and offline.

Below you will find statistics, Photos and of the test. The photos and videos are the best of the testing.

Odyssey AI#1 – Median average 6.5% past the hole during my Heel Test.

Odyssey Divine Line – Median 4% short of the hole during my Heel Test.

Scotty Cameron—Median 13% short of the hole during my Heel Test.

Adding that several types of ball’s were used during this test, Titleist ProV1, Callaway super soft, Kirkland, Taylormade Tp 5 and Tour response.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

dl1.jpg

dl2.jpg

dl3.jpg

sc1.jpg

sc2.jpg

sc3.jpg

20231229_124231.jpg

Edited by buckpillar
Added text content

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

@buckpillar do you think that the weight difference between the 3 putters had anything to do with the differences you were getting?

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Thanks for all the information. Today I hit the Ai 1 , Ai DB and compared them to the 5K -7.  I like all three putters but the Ai felt softer and wasn’t as loud as the 5K.  I agree with buckpillar as the dispersion (Ai) was better and the ball stayed on line. I feel you don’t have to put as much effort in with the Ai as the face is hot in my opinion.  I know like officiating this is all subjective. 😉

Edited by Lefty11
Spelling error

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

37 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

@buckpillar do you think that the weight difference between the 3 putters had anything to do with the differences you were getting?

I would say the Scotty was the heaviest, the AI#1 and the divine line putters were about the same from what I could tell, overall I think the AI#1 was a tad lighter but the balance is phenomenal. 
To answer your question, I would say Yes, but only with the Scotty, it has the milled insert which for my game I think it hinders my putting overall. The feel was 180 out from the AI#1; I’m in love with this new technology from Odyssey!

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

So I went into Dicks, Academy, and Golf+ today looking for a AI-milled version to hopefully do a comparison. Dicks was the only one that had the AI-one and not in the milled version.  I played around awhile with them  (since wife was shopping next door.) The thing that caught my attention the most was all 3 of these had different shafts. 

20231229_152825.jpg.4447ff9cf6df0d22adc4be605f91f505.jpg20231229_152722.jpg.e256a31d0deea8312c6ff0f673ade2af.jpg

They all felt about the same. Although I did putt better with the blade and DB on their green. But the DB still won out for me.

i know they are designed this way for balance "hang" reasons. I did like the look of the blade shaft though, looking down at it.

I am curious now how much of an issue it would cause to swap out for that forward overhang shaft down the road. 

WITB-

Rob what is your putting stroke like? Arc or straight back and straight forward?  I’ve got to go with the DB version as my stroke is SBSF. Unfortunately Odyssey won’t release the 7 DB until February. 

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

3 hours ago, Lefty11 said:

Rob what is your putting stroke like? Arc or straight back and straight forward?  I’ve got to go with the DB version as my stroke is SBSF. Unfortunately Odyssey won’t release the 7 DB until February. 

For 6' and under I'm fairly SFSB, soft impact . Longer putts I start off SB, but arc on follow through.  Which was not evident to me until I began recording swings for this test.  Although I can say that I've adapted quickly and quite nicely to the DB. My lag feels more controlled too.

WITB-

Buck the Ai did perform much better than my Scotty.  With my Scotty I feel I have to put more power into my stroke.  Whereas the Ai didn’t need more power as the face was hotter. I actually feel like I have to ease up with the Ai or I’ll risk blowing it by the hole. 

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

This will be the last golf outing of 2023 for me...

it ended with a bit of fun though ! 

Used the AI-ONE DB. Forgive the poor video. A few surprises in there too! (At least watch the first 5 minutes)

WITB-

Back home after a bit of holiday travel to visit family.

Spent about an hour with the 7S this evening after a week away and still feel really comfortable with this putter.  The ball comes off the face very clean and rolls quite smoothly.

The next challenge for this putter is a 2-man scramble on New Years Day, at a course where I have not putted very well in the past…we’ll see how the Ai-ONE does!

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

As far as the DB goes (at the mini-golf ) it's worth noting that there was no performance benefit to using a serious putter out there. But it was fun.  Putt putt balls are also are extremely hard, slightly oversized, and float!

I will be doing some more on course testing this week.

WITB-

On 12/29/2023 at 7:40 PM, Rob Person said:

So I went into Dicks, Academy, and Golf+ today looking for a AI-milled version to hopefully do a comparison. Dicks was the only one that had the AI-one and not in the milled version.  I played around awhile with them  (since wife was shopping next door.) The thing that caught my attention the most was all 3 of these had different shafts. 

20231229_152825.jpg.4447ff9cf6df0d22adc4be605f91f505.jpg20231229_152722.jpg.e256a31d0deea8312c6ff0f673ade2af.jpg

They all felt about the same. Although I did putt better with the blade and DB on their green. But the DB still won out for me.

i know they are designed this way for balance "hang" reasons. I did like the look of the blade shaft though, looking down at it.

I am curious now how much of an issue it would cause to swap out for that forward overhang shaft down the road. 

Rob,

I also hit a few at the local Dicks Sporting Goods store, they only had the double wide and the #1 in stock. I would really like to see the double wide bent shaft in the #1 or even a shorter hosel as an option to choose from. 

Ps- Isn't it great when you can get to fiddle in a golf store while the wife is shopping? 🤣

Happy New Year!!! to All MGS Nation.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

Has anyone found the milled version in a store?  Have been looking and have only seen the non-milled locally…just looking to do a quick comparison of feel between the two versions.

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

47 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

Has anyone found the milled version in a store?  Have been looking and have only seen the non-milled locally…just looking to do a quick comparison of feel between the two versions.

Nope. And I thought for sure the golf+ here would have had at least one! Alan is always on top of the latest offerings for  equipment ! All.he said was that they had places an order for a dozen, and have heard nothing back yet.

WITB-

14 hours ago, TJ Hall said:

Back home after a bit of holiday travel to visit family.

Spent about an hour with the 7S this evening after a week away and still feel really comfortable with this putter.  The ball comes off the face very clean and rolls quite smoothly.

The next challenge for this putter is a 2-man scramble on New Years Day, at a course where I have not putted very well in the past…we’ll see how the Ai-ONE does!

Good luck with the scramble!  Hopefully the putter exceeds your expectations.  Happy New Year everyone! 

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

1 hour ago, TJ Hall said:

Haven't come across any so far.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

12 minutes ago, Lefty11 said:

Good luck with the scramble!  Hopefully the putter exceeds your expectations.  Happy New Year everyone! 

Thanks…will be providing some feedback after the round.

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

4 hours ago, TJ Hall said:

Thanks…will be providing some feedback after the round.

Great! 😊 

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)