Testers Wanted! Volvik Golf Balls ×

Odyssey Ai-ONE Putters - 2023 Forum Review

GolfSpy BOS

5 minutes ago, Lefty11 said:

Wow!  Very tight dispersion.  I need get get a putting mat before I get my Ai. Spring golf here doesn’t start until April.  

Same here, I'm in southwest Pennsylvania, I make every effort to get out for the tests making it as real as possible.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

6 minutes ago, Lefty11 said:

Wow!  Very tight dispersion.  I need get get a putting mat before I get my Ai. Spring golf here doesn’t start until April.  

I just purchased a new green that is 6ft by 15ft from Home Depot right around $160.00

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

Putted those up real nice! Did you find with the wet ground you had to put.more.effort into the stroke?  Also.could hear the differences in ball clicks real well 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 hour ago, Rob Person said:

Putted those up real nice! Did you find with the wet ground you had to put.more.effort into the stroke?  Also.could hear the differences in ball clicks real well 

The green was damp, not soaking wet, I didn't feel I was hitting it any harder then if it were dry. Those 2 videos really did produce good sound for the different types of balls. 

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

8 hours ago, buckpillar said:

The green was damp, not soaking wet, I didn't feel I was hitting it any harder then if it were dry. Those 2 videos really did produce good sound for the different types of balls. 

I appreciate you braving the cold elements!  👏 

Ping 425 

18* hybrid

22* hybrid

irons - Callaway rogue

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

Last night went down and snuck on the practice green it was cold so I went through and seen what different balls would sound and feel like I grabbed 3 balls of three different kinds 1. tpx 5 my regular gamer 2. Cal triple track and 3 just some range practice balls. I didn't notice much of a difference in the tpx and the ctt but I noticed on the practice balls there was a much louder ping i dont know if that it because the balls or the firmness of the balls but I learned real quick i did not like the sound so I'm going to do more test into it i personally dont like a firm ball but if you do it may be something that puts you off from this putter 

Ogio bag

Driver: Cobra LTDX

3 wood: PING 425 max

Irons 5-U : PING G710s

52 bent to 51 vokey 

54: vokey 

58 degree: Callaway jaws 

putter: Wilson harmonized v2 / testing   Odessy AI- ONE Double Wide    

That is pretty sweet. 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

13 hours ago, Blaine Dye said:

Last night went down and snuck on the practice green it was cold so I went through and seen what different balls would sound and feel like I grabbed 3 balls of three different kinds 1. tpx 5 my regular gamer 2. Cal triple track and 3 just some range practice balls. I didn't notice much of a difference in the tpx and the ctt but I noticed on the practice balls there was a much louder ping i dont know if that it because the balls or the firmness of the balls but I learned real quick i did not like the sound so I'm going to do more test into it i personally dont like a firm ball but if you do it may be something that puts you off from this putter 

I've got a few soft skin balls I may try to see if there is a difference in sound and feel

Odyssey AI#1 test results of Heel, Toe and Center Strikes

This is MY OPINION from results that were compiled for this test only!

After completing the heel, toe and recently center strike testing, here are my thoughts when comparing the Odyssey AI#1 putter to my old Odyssey Divine Line and Scotty Cameron putters.

I felt during the testing process, the Odyssey AI#1 putter stood out and outperformed the other putters.

Equipment used during testing -

Putters- Odyssey AI#1 blade / Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5 / Odyssey Divine Line

Balls- Titleist PROV1 - PROV1x / Callaway Supersoft / Taylormade Tour Response / Kirkland 2.0

·         Performance comparison proved that all putts across the face of the insert of the Odyssey AI#1 blade putter resulted in almost identical distance with minimal variance, while the other putters had erratic distances. The numbers produced during my tests were as follows for 15- and 20-foot putts – finishing results in inches below for the AI#1 blade putter

15 Feet (180 inches) Center strikes – 182 ¼” Heel – 179 ¾” Toe – 179 3/8”

(3”-inch average difference between center and off center strikes from 15 feet)

20 Feet (240 inches) Center strikes – 242 ½” Heel – 238 ¾” Toe – 237 ¾”

(4 ¾”-inch average difference between center and off center strikes from 20 feet)

·         Sound was not a factor for the Odyssey AI#1 putter, no matter if the putt was off the heel, toe or in the center I couldn’t tell if there was a noticeable difference. When you could distinguish a different was when you used a different type of ball. You got more of a click when using a Titleist PROV1 compared to a soft spongey thud with a Callaway Supersoft or Taylormade Tour Response.

·         Feel was soft like butter across the entire face of the Odyssey AI#1 putter, when compared the other putters, they felt at times you had help the ball get off the face on heel strikes and on toe strikes the putters often wanted to twist. The Odyssey AI#1 did not have these issues in my opinion. The only issue I found with feel of the Odyssey AI#1 was golfer-induced, what I mean by that, I would unknowingly have the toe of the putter slightly in the air causing a lower strike on the face resulting in a slightly louder sound, yet still rolled the distance I was attempting to roll the ball.

Right now, with my testing, it is comparable with the claims that Odyssey has made regarding the Odyssey AI putter line.

IMG_4073.JPG

IMG_4075.JPG

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

9 hours ago, Lefty11 said:

That is pretty looking…the next round of Ai-ONE putters look interesting overall.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

1 hour ago, buckpillar said:

Odyssey AI#1 test results of Heel, Toe and Center Strikes

This is MY OPINION from results that were compiled for this test only!

After completing the heel, toe and recently center strike testing, here are my thoughts when comparing the Odyssey AI#1 putter to my old Odyssey Divine Line and Scotty Cameron putters.

I felt during the testing process, the Odyssey AI#1 putter stood out and outperformed the other putters.

Equipment used during testing -

Putters- Odyssey AI#1 blade / Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5 / Odyssey Divine Line

Balls- Titleist PROV1 - PROV1x / Callaway Supersoft / Taylormade Tour Response / Kirkland 2.0

·         Performance comparison proved that all putts across the face of the insert of the Odyssey AI#1 blade putter resulted in almost identical distance with minimal variance, while the other putters had erratic distances. The numbers produced during my tests were as follows for 15- and 20-foot putts – finishing results in inches below for the AI#1 blade putter

15 Feet (180 inches) Center strikes – 182 ¼” Heel – 179 ¾” Toe – 179 3/8”

(3”-inch average difference between center and off center strikes from 15 feet)

20 Feet (240 inches) Center strikes – 242 ½” Heel – 238 ¾” Toe – 237 ¾”

(4 ¾”-inch average difference between center and off center strikes from 20 feet)

·         Sound was not a factor for the Odyssey AI#1 putter, no matter if the putt was off the heel, toe or in the center I couldn’t tell if there was a noticeable difference. When you could distinguish a different was when you used a different type of ball. You got more of a click when using a Titleist PROV1 compared to a soft spongey thud with a Callaway Supersoft or Taylormade Tour Response.

·         Feel was soft like butter across the entire face of the Odyssey AI#1 putter, when compared the other putters, they felt at times you had help the ball get off the face on heel strikes and on toe strikes the putters often wanted to twist. The Odyssey AI#1 did not have these issues in my opinion. The only issue I found with feel of the Odyssey AI#1 was golfer-induced, what I mean by that, I would unknowingly have the toe of the putter slightly in the air causing a lower strike on the face resulting in a slightly louder sound, yet still rolled the distance I was attempting to roll the ball.

Right now, with my testing, it is comparable with the claims that Odyssey has made regarding the Odyssey AI putter line.

IMG_4073.JPG

IMG_4075.JPG

Nice results and feedback @buckpillar…I was seeing very similar results with the 7S I’m testing.  The entire face of the Ai-ONE is very consistent for me and the bad putts I’ve had so far have been me (poor read or just a terrible stroke).  

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

17 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

That is pretty looking…the next round of Ai-ONE putters look interesting overall.

The 2Ball putter looks good, I like the visual alignment , better than the original.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

I think everyone has had similar results regarding the contact points off the insert. 

I do wonder though if the ones custom-made specifically for the pros have a different insert tailored specifically to them using the AI tech.

Im 99% sure they aren't using off the rack putters. Would love to know how that is done from a fitting standpoint.

@Lefty11

This is the video I was talking about earlier in the thread!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0hA87DsXOp/?igsh=ZXhtYmo4a2VkNWw5

And some screeshots from it.

Screenshot_20240112_063028_Instagram.jpg.094b5a0d6e775fc2ae7fc751ebfe9a1a.jpgScreenshot_20240112_063009_Instagram.jpg.cc4f73d3fd0b0ecc2381c7ce55c70b17.jpg

Edited by Rob Person

10 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

I think everyone has had similar results regarding the contact points off the insert. 

I do wonder though if the ones custom-made specifically for the pros have a different insert tailored specifically to them using the AI tech.

Im 99% sure they aren't using off the rack putters. Would love to know how that is done from a fitting standpoint.

I would say the AI would be the same, but once they get the weight, balance, loft and lie for each pro .. it will become a a game changer for them

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

39 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

The Milled Ai that Chris Kirk used to win this past week is a 6 with a plumbers neck, that doesn’t show up on any website that I can find for available models…so they do get special treatment (it’s like these guys are good or something!)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

45 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

@Lefty11

This is the video I was talking about earlier in the thread!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0hA87DsXOp/?igsh=ZXhtYmo4a2VkNWw5

And some screeshots from it.

Screenshot_20240112_063028_Instagram.jpg.094b5a0d6e775fc2ae7fc751ebfe9a1a.jpgScreenshot_20240112_063009_Instagram.jpg.cc4f73d3fd0b0ecc2381c7ce55c70b17.jpg

Is that adhesive under that putter?

Ping 425 

18* hybrid

22* hybrid

irons - Callaway rogue

30 minutes ago, Lefty11 said:

Is that adhesive under that putter?

Yup, looks to be a gel bonding agent. Probably to prevent flex in the cover? Not sure if the stock one comes that way too.

Worked on stroke swing changes a little today. Over 100 putts. 

Even with the shortcomings I had from 10' out, I'm not at all disappointed with the putter. Will have to try and translate this to an actual green to know if changing things up will work.

3 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Worked on stroke swing changes a little today. Over 100 putts. 

Even with the shortcomings I had from 10' out, I'm not at all disappointed with the putter. Will have to try and translate this to an actual green to know if changing things up will work.

How was it with the mirror…do you think it helped with your setup/stroke?

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Local store had a milled insert (finally!), but it was backwards (right handed) and a different model (2 CH), they also had white insert model.  I had to putt a few just for feel/sound…can’t speak to anything else.  The milled insert was firmer and had a more audible click.  Likely comes down to a personal preference…for me, I like the white insert better.

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

39 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

How was it with the mirror…do you think it helped with your setup/stroke?

Absolutely.  Having the lines to square the face and a line for backstroke really allowed me to see how un-sqaure my putter actually was.  Also by seeing my "head and body" position at address was not what I expected from my normal stance.  I was able to reduce the arc in my follow through stroke too.  By doing so, I realized how much I was naturally compensating for my natural stance in an off center position (even though I have always putted that way)

I'm going to wait until I can get on a practice green to see if I can re-learn my stroke, or if I will be fighting myself.

51 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Absolutely.  Having the lines to square the face and a line for backstroke really allowed me to see how un-sqaure my putter actually was.  Also by seeing my "head and body" position at address was not what I expected from my normal stance.  I was able to reduce the arc in my follow through stroke too.  By doing so, I realized how much I was naturally compensating for my natural stance in an off center position (even though I have always putted that way)

I'm going to wait until I can get on a practice green to see if I can re-learn my stroke, or if I will be fighting myself.

Can’t wait to hear how it goes out on the greens…glad it is helping so far!

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Putting with different soft cover balls vs 2 prototype balls.  Not sure if you can tell the sound difference from the video,  but I definitely could. The softer covers definitely come off the face hotter.

Loving the updates and comparisons - much of what is being discussed I’m seeing as well with the AI-One “Millie”…..it has even piqued the interest of the local Sasquatch to make sure these putters are really real...IMG_7795.jpeg.90c6a6127f0549038e1d2bd332fcbe08.jpeg

Edited by Willie T

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

February can’t come fast enough!  I’m debating between the 2ball Ai and the 7db.  I had an original 2 ball years ago and liked it.  I wish my local Golftown had the milled to compare it to the Ai white hot.  Has anyone here tried both models?

Ping 425 

18* hybrid

22* hybrid

irons - Callaway rogue

4 hours ago, Lefty11 said:

February can’t come fast enough!  I’m debating between the 2ball Ai and the 7db.  I had an original 2 ball years ago and liked it.  I wish my local Golftown had the milled to compare it to the Ai white hot.  Has anyone here tried both models?

My local shop had one milled version (right handed) (blade version), putted with it just to compare sound/feel between the two, milled was clicker/firmer than the white…my preference is the white insert.  Couldn’t compare the real functionality of the insert since I was putting right handed and only rolled a couple putts.

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter