SQAIRZ VELO Shoe: 2024 Forum Member Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts via the links below!

@funkyjudge - Main Post 

@Wheelieb - Main Post 

@Indy_Oz - Main Post 

@billpierce - Main Post

I played a 9 hole round yesterday morning, and because Apple is going to Apple, I had to wait to email the pictures to myself and then post this morning about it. The grass had a fair amount of dew on the grass. I am happy to say my feet didn't get wet from it. With it being in the upper 60's, my feet also didn't sweat.

shoe2.jpg.3823f680f2ccf48b06bb31b12eeafcba.jpg

I also didn't get any slippage of my feet on the grass while swinging, so I can say the smart traction technology has something there. The one thing I am noticing, the toe gets a little bit of dirt on it that almost looks like someone rubbed their shoe on it, kind of like when you were a kid and noticed it would leave black marks on the floors if you did it just right. shoe1.jpg.15809b2d43a797bda92d5e187e00e045.jpg

I really need to start using my 18 birdies app to get good shot tracing pictures. I keep using the GHIN app but found I can just enter the same info after I play and use 18birdies. Here is a link to a short chipping video on the last hole I was able to get as well. Until I play again, have a great day.

https://youtu.be/TCMF34tmYEY

I played a 9 hole round yesterday morning, and because Apple is going to Apple, I had to wait to email the pictures to myself and then post this morning about it. The grass had a fair amount of dew on the grass. I am happy to say my feet didn't get wet from it. With it being in the upper 60's, my feet also didn't sweat.

shoe2.jpg.3823f680f2ccf48b06bb31b12eeafcba.jpg

I also didn't get any slippage of my feet on the grass while swinging, so I can say the smart traction technology has something there. The one thing I am noticing, the toe gets a little bit of dirt on it that almost looks like someone rubbed their shoe on it, kind of like when you were a kid and noticed it would leave black marks on the floors if you did it just right. shoe1.jpg.15809b2d43a797bda92d5e187e00e045.jpg

I really need to start using my 18 birdies app to get good shot tracing pictures. I keep using the GHIN app but found I can just enter the same info after I play and use 18birdies. Here is a link to a short chipping video on the last hole I was able to get as well. Until I play again, have a great day.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

Pretty much a carbon copy practice session at the range today. Only hit a few wedge half shots on the range, no full swings yet as my muscle strain hasn't healed sufficiently yet.

Lots of time spent chipping and putting, with a focus on the new Vokey 60* wedge.

Feelings about the Sqairz velo are also a carbon copy of last week. I really like the fit, comfort and balance of structural stability and flexibility.

I wore my Adidas for some indoor practice yesterday (indoor putting green and more half shots on the indoor launch monitor range. It got me thinking about bend profiles and bend locations on the sole as it relates to comfort and pinching on the top of the foot, as that has been an issue with various shoe types, including some golf shoes, in the past. This isn't very scientific, but gives an illustration of how the sole bends and how the upper distorts/ pushes down on top of the foot. I did the same demo with my Ecco (top), Velo (middle) and Adidas CodeChaos (lower).

Note: Ecco is by far the stiffest sole and required a decent amount of force to create this amount of bend. Adidas is (as you'd expect looking at the midsole) softest and easiest to bed. The Sqairz velo is somewhere  in the middle. Maybe slightly closer to the Ecco than Adidas.

6A94AAF3-C323-42A1-A419-C4185403DDBC_1_201_a.jpeg.53cc46db4fd926e84d5ae9b4e4120ba5.jpeg

The bend/pinch points in the uppers of the Ecco and Sqairz are similar and not uncomfortable. I don't notice any unwelcome pressure on the top of my feet from either. The Adidas presses closer to my toes, but the upper is soft and it hasn't yet bothered me when walking a round- albeit I've only used the Adidas for 9-holes when walking (full 18s when riding carts).

All of this is more observations and idle curiosity while I can't play rounds of golf.

Waterproof claims:

I have worn the Sqairz Velo on a couple of short dog walks during recent rain storms to test out the waterproofing claims. So far so good. I splashed through plenty of puddles and walked through soaking rough-length grass verges. No issues noted. Not long tests, but I made sure to get to a point where the outside of the shoes were pretty wet and my feet stayed dry. More water-related testing planned.

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* (set at 10*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :titleist-small:TSR2 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small: 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW

:vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix ;  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

On 4/24/2024 at 1:38 PM, billpierce said:

Puma Spikeless versus Sqairz Velo with driver:

I said I would compare the shoes, and was really interested to test the stability claims of sqairz AND see if it translates to results.  The driver is my worst club in the bag and I tend to spray it a bit (something for me to work on).  Early in the season, the results will be a bit worse - but here is the results!

image.png.6c5d5ceeb7166951160f21d21843f946.png

Sqairz Velo shoe and driving performance - what is immediately noticed is my left of green bias and it was surprising to me.  Is it a swing flaw that I need to work on? Maybe. I think it is actually the stability of the shoe, and a little more torque causing a different shot shape for me -> in some cases a sever hook!

image.png.2035f443f863a1b80f9c91e525bd359b.png

The Puma Spikeless and driving performance - you see a more normal distribution (sorry math guy here) and that data matches my normal spray patterns. I could feel the ability to move my feet (not like Scottie) and although comfortable it does seem to cause less accuracy.

Initial results: Sqairz is more accurate to the range of 6-9%, left biased a good 10% more (and this is with me trying to correct path and stance). My first 30 hits were a whopping 80% left biased!

Next up was the:

chipping / pitching test comparison of Puma Spikeless to Sqairz Velo:

Went out to testing facility and hit 10 20 yard chips and 20 pitches 50 yard and finally, 10 full 90 yard wedges.

Screenshot2024-04-30115003.png.b7c89c4c3bc094a20c95748bf1870108.png

On the left you can see my sqairz performance versus the right the Puma Spikeless performance.  I rotated after 5 shots to not have fatigue for the final shoes and what a pain that was changing shoes that often.  Both shoes had a bit of  left bias for me, so that can be considered the player introduced factor!  On the whole, looking at the 10 yards or less hits, sqairz was 5% more accurate.  So, not as much help to me as with Driver - but still noticeable.

Also have managed to play 4 more rounds wearing the Sqairz Velo shoe:

1. Stability is second to none, even my previous pair of sqairz does not feel as stable, even though the performance is close than the Puma Spikeless.

2. Waterproof - rained on me, one of the rounds, mid round, very wet. Shoes traction held up well as it was a hilly course. Waterproofing worked perfect!

3. Hotness issue - have not played in 80 degree or up but did hit 70's and feet felt a bit cooler than the previous edition of sqairz - that's a huge plus.

4. Traction and picking up too much turf - as the shoes break in they pick up less turf so this issue with previous shoes is resolved. Have played on muddy, wet courses and done well.

5. Torque feels much higher, I think causing my left bias. I like the stable feel, but if you want to 'move' your feet - good luck. (see my pet peeve)

6. Love the lacings - they hold firmly and never loosen. Sounds silly, but I hate having to re-tie shoes.

7. Peet peeve is you cant spin your feet, so if you want to, it takes a bit of work.  I almost feel too anchored for my own comfort level!

8. Dirt has come right off with a soft brushing and soapy water. I was worried about this issue early on, and they held up fine.

9. Breaking in is pretty much done, so while they were stiff the first day - that solves itself quickly.

10. I get compliments on them. And they generate confidence.  And accuracy is improved. 3 wins!!

MicrosoftTeams-image(48).png.964ef9e20bb1d27deaed6d8e984fe8ce.png

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

Ping Putter w/ modified grip

image.png

13 hours ago, Indy_Oz said:

Pretty much a carbon copy practice session at the range today. Only hit a few wedge half shots on the range, no full swings yet as my muscle strain hasn't healed sufficiently yet.

Lots of time spent chipping and putting, with a focus on the new Vokey 60* wedge.

Feelings about the Sqairz velo are also a carbon copy of last week. I really like the fit, comfort and balance of structural stability and flexibility.

I wore my Adidas for some indoor practice yesterday (indoor putting green and more half shots on the indoor launch monitor range. It got me thinking about bend profiles and bend locations on the sole as it relates to comfort and pinching on the top of the foot, as that has been an issue with various shoe types, including some golf shoes, in the past. This isn't very scientific, but gives an illustration of how the sole bends and how the upper distorts/ pushes down on top of the foot. I did the same demo with my Ecco (top), Velo (middle) and Adidas CodeChaos (lower).

Note: Ecco is by far the stiffest sole and required a decent amount of force to create this amount of bend. Adidas is (as you'd expect looking at the midsole) softest and easiest to bed. The Sqairz velo is somewhere  in the middle. Maybe slightly closer to the Ecco than Adidas.

6A94AAF3-C323-42A1-A419-C4185403DDBC_1_201_a.jpeg.53cc46db4fd926e84d5ae9b4e4120ba5.jpeg

The bend/pinch points in the uppers of the Ecco and Sqairz are similar and not uncomfortable. I don't notice any unwelcome pressure on the top of my feet from either. The Adidas presses closer to my toes, but the upper is soft and it hasn't yet bothered me when walking a round- albeit I've only used the Adidas for 9-holes when walking (full 18s when riding carts).

All of this is more observations and idle curiosity while I can't play rounds of golf.

Waterproof claims:

I have worn the Sqairz Velo on a couple of short dog walks during recent rain storms to test out the waterproofing claims. So far so good. I splashed through plenty of puddles and walked through soaking rough-length grass verges. No issues noted. Not long tests, but I made sure to get to a point where the outside of the shoes were pretty wet and my feet stayed dry. More water-related testing planned.

Can you try TWISTING the shoes, that shoes stability according to the shoe manufacturer.  I will do so as well, we can compare across even more shoes!

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

image.png

3 minutes ago, billpierce said:

Can you try TWISTING the shoes, that shoes stability according to the shoe manufacturer.  I will do so as well, we can compare across even more shoes!

Absolutely. I recall checking that when I received them and I think the result is similar to the bend, but I will confirm 👍🏻

2024 WITB:

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :titleist-small:TSR2 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix ;  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

15 minutes ago, billpierce said:

Next up was the:

Went out to testing facility and hit 10 20 yard chips and 20 pitches 50 yard and finally, 10 full 90 yard wedges.

On the left you can see my sqairz performance versus the right the Puma Spikeless performance.  I rotated after 5 shots to not have fatigue for the final shoes and what a pain that was changing shoes that often.  Both shoes had a bit of  left bias for me, so that can be considered the player introduced factor!  On the whole, looking at the 10 yards or less hits, sqairz was 5% more accurate.  So, not as much help to me as with Driver - but still noticeable.

1. Stability is second to none, even my previous pair of sqairz does not feel as stable, even though the performance is close than the Puma Spikeless.

2. Waterproof - rained on me, one of the rounds, mid round, very wet. Shoes traction held up well as it was a hilly course. Waterproofing worked perfect!

3. Hotness issue - have not played in 80 degree or up but did hit 70's and feet felt a bit cooler than the previous edition of sqairz - that's a huge plus.

4. Traction and picking up too much turf - as the shoes break in they pick up less turf so this issue with previous shoes is resolved. Have played on muddy, wet courses and done well.

5. Torque feels much higher, I think causing my left bias. I like the stable feel, but if you want to 'move' your feet - good luck. (see my pet peeve)

6. Love the lacings - they hold firmly and never loosen. Sounds silly, but I hate having to re-tie shoes.

7. Peet peeve is you cant spin your feet, so if you want to, it takes a bit of work.  I almost feel too anchored for my own comfort level!

8. Dirt has come right off with a soft brushing and soapy water. I was worried about this issue early on, and they held up fine.

9. Breaking in is pretty much done, so while they were stiff the first day - that solves itself quickly.

10. I get compliments on them. And they generate confidence.  And accuracy is improved. 3 wins!!

14 hours ago, Indy_Oz said:

Waterproof claims:

Thank you for the in depths on these posts so far (not just on the quoted posts)

I'm curious if the resistance to foot rotation is relevant to swing speed and torque. Obviously someone with a pro-level amount of both may have an easier time getting the shoes to move through the swing while staying planted.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

4 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Thank you for the in depths on these posts so far (not just on the quoted posts)

I'm curious if the resistance to foot rotation is relevant to swing speed and torque. Obviously someone with a pro-level amount of both may have an easier time getting the shoes to move through the swing while staying planted.

Thanks Rob. 
I’m trying to ensure I add value in the rest while being unable to hit the course. Some lateral thinking and inventiveness needed to focus on the non playing/ full speed testing for now. Lol
Extra grip will help with ground force utilization (squat and jump type movements) by avoiding foot slip, I would think. However, resistance to twist might negate that. I have wondered if I’ll need to open my leading foot towards the target slightly to counter the added grip and allow full rotation. I’ve played with opening the toe in the past, but drifted back to my old school setup. Once I’m back able to swing fully I will definitely be playing with setup and seeing if I get the same draw bias ball flight the others have seen. I didn’t get that impression in the one full speed range session I’ve managed. 

2024 WITB:

28 minutes ago, billpierce said:

Next up was the:

I agree with your assessment almost 100%. I have played two of my rounds in 86* to 90* temperatures, and the Squairz VELO shoes did not cause any heat buildup, so my feet did not sweat at all. I walked both of those rounds in high temperatures as well as another 18-hole round when the temperature was 83* or 84* and very humid.

I also played twice in light rain/showers and these shoes definitely lived up to the waterproof claims. This evening, our league will probably be playing in rainy conditions, and I will definitely be wearing these Squairz shoes!

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

43 minutes ago, Indy_Oz said:

Thanks Rob. 
I’m trying to ensure I add value in the rest while being unable to hit the course. Some lateral thinking and inventiveness needed to focus on the non playing/ full speed testing for now. Lol
Extra grip will help with ground force utilization (squat and jump type movements) by avoiding foot slip, I would think. However, resistance to twist might negate that. I have wondered if I’ll need to open my leading foot towards the target slightly to counter the added grip and allow full rotation. I’ve played with opening the toe in the past, but drifted back to my old school setup. Once I’m back able to swing fully I will definitely be playing with setup and seeing if I get the same draw bias ball flight the others have seen. I didn’t get that impression in the one full speed range session I’ve managed. 

I can rotate foot when on toe, but not flat. So like was suggested here - I open the lead foot.

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

image.png

So it is great to have friends who also love to golf. I’m going to be able to get some good data from a track man on Wednesday. Is it the best time to do that since I’m basically having to fast all day? Probably not. But am I going to Be able to see if the shoes making me have more of a draw is fictitious in mind or if it’s just a bologna me thing. I’ll also be able to tell if I gain swing speed or not. I may also say that it may be a bad idea to do that while fasting. That’s not the point in this, this is about finding out some good data that I believe would be beneficial. I am hoping tomorrow morning it doesn’t rain as it did this morning. I’d like to get back out on the course for another round before work. Especially since it will be really wet, I’d like to see how well that holds up and not allow water in. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

10 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

I agree with your assessment almost 100%. I have played two of my rounds in 86* to 90* temperatures, and the Squairz VELO shoes did not cause any heat buildup, so my feet did not sweat at all. I walked both of those rounds in high temperatures as well as another 18-hole round when the temperature was 83* or 84* and very humid.

I also played twice in light rain/showers and these shoes definitely lived up to the waterproof claims. This evening, our league will probably be playing in rainy conditions, and I will definitely be wearing these Squairz shoes!

The lack of heat retention alone is a bonus feature in itself in my opinion.  Glad to know they release some of it on hot days.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Upon further review, the SQAIRZ Velo has been outstanding in keeping my feet dry from walking through rain soaked grass in the course. I’m a little bummed as I thought I had gotten a good video of my tee shot on the 8th hole. But apparently you have to push the button to record, otherwise you just set your phone up for failure. And you look pretty dumb picking it up off the tee box when you didn’t record. I didn’t walk today as I was in a little bit of a time crunch, but it was cart path only. And if you ever play a round with me you’ll learn that cart path golf is not in my skill set. I had to walk across the rough to get to my ball it seemed on every hole. But I did get a picture that has me in the grass and you can see the amount of water in the grass if you zoom in on the picture. Rain was quite a bit last night into this morning. Tomorrow is trackman time, going to get some good pics for speed and dispersion hopefully. IMG_2795.jpeg.07416dd35309d4167a439ecdfb63c4ab.jpeg

Ping Prime Tyne 4

8 hours ago, Wheelieb said:

Upon further review, the SQAIRZ Velo has been outstanding in keeping my feet dry from walking through rain soaked grass in the course. I’m a little bummed as I thought I had gotten a good video of my tee shot on the 8th hole. But apparently you have to push the button to record, otherwise you just set your phone up for failure. And you look pretty dumb picking it up off the tee box when you didn’t record. I didn’t walk today as I was in a little bit of a time crunch, but it was cart path only. And if you ever play a round with me you’ll learn that cart path golf is not in my skill set. I had to walk across the rough to get to my ball it seemed on every hole. But I did get a picture that has me in the grass and you can see the amount of water in the grass if you zoom in on the picture. Rain was quite a bit last night into this morning. Tomorrow is trackman time, going to get some good pics for speed and dispersion hopefully. IMG_2795.jpeg.07416dd35309d4167a439ecdfb63c4ab.jpeg

How did I not notice their name across the box toe before??? It's not bad placement,  just ... different.

1 hour ago, Rob Person said:

How did I not notice their name across the box toe before??? It's not bad placement,  just ... different.

I’m actually a fan of that. I like things that are different, and is probably why I have loud golf clothing. I don’t want to see someone wearing the same things I do except shoes. And the name placement I think exemplifies being different. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

7 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

I’m actually a fan of that. I like things that are different, and is probably why I have loud golf clothing. I don’t want to see someone wearing the same things I do except shoes. And the name placement I think exemplifies being different. 

Definitely not a complaint, just an observation.  I too enjoy my loud clothing... 😆 🤣 😂 

Anything a company can do to make their brand unique is a plus. With so many products looking similar, it's good to stand out!

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Wheelieb said:

Does not appear even remotely wet on the shoes!  Looks like your left shoe has a ripple in it where it has softened?  Breaking in or always been like that?

Edited by billpierce

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

image.png

6 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Definitely not a complaint, just an observation.  I too enjoy my loud clothing... 😆 🤣 😂 

Anything a company can do to make their brand unique is a plus. With so many products looking similar, it's good to stand out!

I agnostic.  Now if they lit up for night golf - that would be impressive?

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

image.png

6 hours ago, billpierce said:

Does not appear even remotely wet on the shoes!  Looks like your left shoe has a ripple in it where it has softened?  Breaking in or always been like that?

Breaking in, was not like that when I got them. And really it’s probably my flat feet causing that if I had to guess. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

I’m actually a little shocked by my findings today. Admittedly, the last time I saw my club head speed on trackman was a year ago. So being a year older probably plays into not seeing as high of a clubhead speed for my average. With that said, my first  picture here is me wearing my Nike Roshe G shoes. You can see the numerous spaghetti lines that show I just wasn’t on it with the shoes. 
IMG_2799.jpeg.3c04826d560adbd61be0ad379c14f821.jpeg

Now with the claims of faster clubhead speed, I can say that is probably true if I hit just as many shots. But I had to stop after three shots cause, back started hurting. However, the claims of tighter dispersion may be true. I had to learn how to move my feet so I didn’t feel like I was anchored to the ground, and the results are here.

IMG_2800.jpeg.9f24157ae712f7b62de9e18003358df5.jpeg

Average swing speed was lower, ball speed was up, smash factor was up as well. This tells me that the dispersion claims, and speed claims have some form of substance there. The one that is to the right was the one that I slowed down on cause I felt my back tighten up. I did have one clubhead speed at almost 112 while wearing my SQAIRZ. The fastest with my Nike’s? A paltry 110.6. Still have more testing to do.

Ping Prime Tyne 4

I was told these units don’t do well measuring club head speed. To focus on ball speed. Maybe the dim guys can weigh in. 

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

image.png

On 5/8/2024 at 9:24 PM, billpierce said:

I was told these units don’t do well measuring club head speed. To focus on ball speed. Maybe the dim guys can weigh in. 

Sim guys. Funny typo

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

image.png

On 5/8/2024 at 9:24 PM, billpierce said:

The PGA and Trackman have a contract, I would assume that if it wasn’t good enough with clubhead speed it wouldn’t be used on the pga tour. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

Gonna try to get out in the morning for a quick 9. Be good to get out and get some swings in prior to Friday. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

Finally managed to walk 9 in the Velo. Shoulder still not recovered, but enough to get round clubbing up a lot and swinging easy. Based on distances and feel, I'd guess I was down around 90-95mph driver club head speed (15-20mph down). Played off a mix of white and red tees, to avoid the temptation of pushing swing speed on the par 4 and 5 holes.

I have to say, I'm really liking these shoes. Very comfortable around a 9-hole course with some minor undulations and a couple of steep uphill walks. Good stability and just enough toe box room to give my toes room to breathe. They definitely suit my foot shape better than my Ecco and the added rigidity and support over the Adidas CodeChaos is appreciated.

I hit some balls on the range on Saturday and I noticed that I need to open my lead foot a little to aid rotation in the follow-through due to the additional grip over spikeless shoes. I am used to spikeless and being more freely able to twist my feet.

It was a very windy round, so hard to be exact on any shot shape impact- and add in the reduced swing speed and shorter back-swing over my normal swing. That caveat explained, I didn't notice any increase to draw or fade bias. Off the tee I felt nicely in control and was hitting pretty straight and consistent face impact location (center and slightly toe of center on the whole).

I didn't notice any difficulty in mud and turf clearing from the tread as the round progressed.

I have booked a round at Marco Simone in Rome for this coming weekend and I'll be taking the Sqairz for my first full 18 walked round in them. Sunday is the only day I can really play and the forecast is currently saying rain overnight and up to the morning tee time and thunder storms added to the mix for a few hours thereafter! Ha ha. Really hoping it's just rain and no lightning, obviously, but rain will make for a good shoe test! As a Brit, I grew up playing all sports in the rain, no matter the time of year, so that won't stop me playing.lol

I need a proper wet weather test for the shoes and I can't think of a more fun rainy round test than a first time visit to a mainland European Ryder Cup course! My packing list has obviously grown to include my rain gear. Hoping there is some easing off on the rain sufficient for some nice photo opportunities. CAN. NOT. WAIT!

As I'll be jet lagged and spending a lot of Saturday walking around Rome,  I'm going to need comfortable shoes for the round. Here's hoping the shoulder feels ok. I'll be using rental clubs, so I'm not going to be taking score too seriously, even more so if the weather is bad. Should be fun!

2024 WITB:

FINAL UPDATE PRIOR TO SCOTLAND TRIP:

Yesterday afternoon, I played my 15th round of golf while wearing the Squairz VELO golf shoes. This has consisted of (7) 18-hole rounds and (8) 9-hole rounds. The last three rounds, I have walked and carried my clubs for two reasons -- 1.) I am getting ready for Scotland, and 2.) I wanted to test and see which carry bag and bag contents (other than my golf clubs, of course) will be most comfortable for my caddies and for me on the days when caddies are not to be provided.

My travel bag is being packed today and will be picked up tomorrow for shipping to Scotland, as is always my practice on these golf trips, and the next time I will see my clubs, and the Squairz VELO golf shoes will be on May 25 when we get to the Fairmont St. Andrews Hotel.  Luckily, I have lots of other golf clubs and two other serviceable pairs of older Squairz golf shoes for use in the three rounds of golf that I have scheduled in PA, NJ and DE prior to our flight to the UK next Friday.

Now, to the Squairz VELO shoes -- They continue to provide great stability and comfort while walking the golf courses and hitting shots, as well as for my range sessions which happen prior to every round. The shoes still look virtually brand-new, and they are unquestionably the easiest golf shoes to keep clean that I own or have ever owned. In addition, the soles are much easier to keep free of twigs, stones, compacted leaves and other debris.  I don't know what Squairz has done to make this happen, but it is greatly appreciated by me!

Next reports will come from "the home of golf" in about 12 to 14 days, followed by my final review when we return to the USA on June 9, 2024.

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Indy_Oz said:

Finally managed to walk 9 in the Velo. Shoulder still not recovered, but enough to get round clubbing up a lot and swinging easy. Based on distances and feel, I'd guess I was down around 90-95mph driver club head speed (15-20mph down). Played off a mix of white and red tees, to avoid the temptation of pushing swing speed on the par 4 and 5 holes.

I have to say, I'm really liking these shoes. Very comfortable around a 9-hole course with some minor undulations and a couple of steep uphill walks. Good stability and just enough toe box room to give my toes room to breathe. They definitely suit my foot shape better than my Ecco and the added rigidity and support over the Adidas CodeChaos is appreciated.

I hit some balls on the range on Saturday and I noticed that I need to open my lead foot a little to aid rotation in the follow-through due to the additional grip over spikeless shoes. I am used to spikeless and being more freely able to twist my feet.

It was a very windy round, so hard to be exact on any shot shape impact- and add in the reduced swing speed and shorter back-swing over my normal swing. That caveat explained, I didn't notice any increase to draw or fade bias. Off the tee I felt nicely in control and was hitting pretty straight and consistent face impact location (center and slightly toe of center on the whole).

I didn't notice any difficulty in mud and turf clearing from the tread as the round progressed.

I have booked a round at Marco Simone in Rome for this coming weekend and I'll be taking the Sqairz for my first full 18 walked round in them. Sunday is the only day I can really play and the forecast is currently saying rain overnight and up to the morning tee time and thunder storms added to the mix for a few hours thereafter! Ha ha. Really hoping it's just rain and no lightning, obviously, but rain will make for a good shoe test! As a Brit, I grew up playing all sports in the rain, no matter the time of year, so that won't stop me playing.lol

I need a proper wet weather test for the shoes and I can't think of a more fun rainy round test than a first time visit to a mainland European Ryder Cup course! My packing list has obviously grown to include my rain gear. Hoping there is some easing off on the rain sufficient for some nice photo opportunities. CAN. NOT. WAIT!

As I'll be jet lagged and spending a lot of Saturday walking around Rome,  I'm going to need comfortable shoes for the round. Here's hoping the shoulder feels ok. I'll be using rental clubs, so I'm not going to be taking score too seriously, even more so if the weather is bad. Should be fun!

Ha - rain is normal for you then 🙂  Love to hear your results as we have tracked similarly so far.

On the square toe - I find I generate more ground force and lateral movement which may cause my left bias.  Any thoughts there?

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

image.png

1 hour ago, billpierce said:

Ha - rain is normal for you then 🙂  Love to hear your results as we have tracked similarly so far.

On the square toe - I find I generate more ground force and lateral movement which may cause my left bias.  Any thoughts there?

I’m actually hoping for rain to confirm the water proofing you guys have found!

When I get back from Italy I’m going to hit the sim and see how well I can swing the club. I’m so keen to get on the sim and see if I get any speed benefit over the Ecco and Adidas, but this injury has just hampered most of the fun testing so far! I’m a data nerd too (engineer by trade), so not being able to dive into the stats is torturous!🤦‍♂️🤣

2024 WITB:

1 hour ago, Indy_Oz said:

I’m actually hoping for rain to confirm the water proofing you guys have found!

When I get back from Italy I’m going to hit the sim and see how well I can swing the club. I’m so keen to get on the sim and see if I get any speed benefit over the Ecco and Adidas, but this injury has just hampered most of the fun testing so far! I’m a data nerd too (engineer by trade), so not being able to dive into the stats is torturous!🤦‍♂️🤣

Oh, these shoes are DEFINITELY waterproof! We have had rain on 12 of the last 15 days, and I have played in a couple of downpours plus on days that followed 3 or 4 consecutive rainy days, and there was no water seepage whatsoever.

Spoiler

Got an interesting update coming later this evening. May have found a flaw. Stay tuned for it later!!!

Ping Prime Tyne 4

Well well well…do my eyes deceive me or am I missing something here? Surely it has to be my eyes right? Right!?!? The lace lock system can’t be coming off the laces.

IMG_2815.jpeg.ad3b9ab9504970b9a2e5eec6a4e43e5f.jpeg

Well maybe my eyes aren’t going as bad as I thought based on the fact that the other shoes laces look the same.

IMG_2816.jpeg.2ee21d7416f5017eb2ca3eeb739814eb.jpeg

I’m almost positive that I tie my shoes the same way everyone else does. Unless you use Velcro, and in that case, you got me.

Is this an issue of the lace lock system not being to hold up for more than the 8 range sessions, 5 rounds of 9 holes and 2 rounds of a full 18? They stayed tightly tied. That is still a good thing. If the lace lock isn’t going to be lasting as long, I think that may be a flaw that needs to be worked out. Just my thoughts on this.

IMG_2816.jpeg

IMG_2815.jpeg

Edited by Wheelieb
Removed duplicate pics and fixed typo

Ping Prime Tyne 4