Garmin S70 Health and Tracking - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts via the links below.
@revkev - Main Post 

@cburins - Main Post 

@Corentin Vadillo - Main Post 

@NubianRugby - Main Post

This is very interesting in regard to body battery.  I have yet to get mine above 50.  I'm wondering how much age is a factor in that.  I'd say it's stress, I have a high stress job and with a disabled person in the home, home life, too.  But I rarely see a high stress score.  Bottom line, I'm not a good so I start each day in a deficit. 

I firmly believe that I got more sleep than I was credited for on Sunday and thus my body battery should have been at a higher level.  I had enough energy to play 18 holes and still hit good shots on 16,17, 18 - bogey, par, par.  Today I had a poor sleep score that I believe is completely accurate - I feel worn out and will be walking 9 in a couple of hours - I'm interested in seeing how I do with that.  I need to start hydrating.  

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

32 minutes ago, revkev said:

This is very interesting in regard to body battery.  I have yet to get mine above 50.  I'm wondering how much age is a factor in that.  I'd say it's stress, I have a high stress job and with a disabled person in the home, home life, too.  But I rarely see a high stress score.  Bottom line, I'm not a good so I start each day in a deficit. 

I firmly believe that I got more sleep than I was credited for on Sunday and thus my body battery should have been at a higher level.  I had enough energy to play 18 holes and still hit good shots on 16,17, 18 - bogey, par, par.  Today I had a poor sleep score that I believe is completely accurate - I feel worn out and will be walking 9 in a couple of hours - I'm interested in seeing how I do with that.  I need to start hydrating.  

The battery has a lot to do with diet as well. If I eat fried food for dinner, or eat too late, sleep score may not be affected too much but battery will be lower than usual. 

The biggest difference I see is in Recovery after workouts. Sometimes my strenuous workouts where I feel I really pushed myself have a quick recovery time (10-15 hours). Sometimes when I have a lighter intensity workout, maybe some strength training, the recovery time will be 5-10 hours. Other times it will tell me my recovery is 30+ hours but I don’t feel that fatigued after the workout. I feel like I know my body better than the watch but there could be more factors (diet/sleep/stress) that I’m not factoring in to the recovery. 

The numbers are pretty similar to that of my old Whoop band so not too much to complain about in the general scheme but there are some questionable readings that I have noticed. 

Driver- TSR4 Tensei 1K Black 65 TX

3W- Callaway Mavrik 15 degree

2iron- Taylormade UDI

4-PW- Apex Pro 19 KBS Tour V

Wedges- 50, 54, 58 Vokey SM7

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour X

4 hours ago, CorentinV said:

Totally for the consequences of a 0/100 body battery. But there are still some figues below 5 😉

In addition, if we are considering 5/100 as the lower Body Battey score possible:

• Does it mean I can’t be much more tired, stressed or whatever?
  • Does it mean my body battery is the same after playing a 18-holes course whereas I started it with a body battery of 5/100 and finished it with a 5/100 body battery score too?
  • Finally, does this not call into question the relevance and precision of the body battery?

@cburins, @revkev@VernL4, @GolfSpy_APH and all Garmin’s users, what are your thoughts about that?

Thank you!

I'd be ok with the body battery going down to 1, but I'm not part of making that decision. 😉 I wonder if it varies depending on the person. Or does it possibly change the calculations to your circumstances based on if you do a bunch of stuff even when your body battery is at 5? (Proving to the system that you have a new benchmark for what it is telling you is your lowest level.) So, yeah, I see where you are going with these questions. As far as relevance/precision, I know this is just a number that they are giving you. My feelings outweigh what the watch is telling me that I have for an energy level. I do, however, completely believe the HRV stats that the watch shows. I think HRV is part of the calculation for body battery. I feel that my HRV values very closely relate to how I'm feeling. Back to body battery, though. There have been a few times that I'm down to 5 and I feel decent. Other times when my watch shows a 5, I feel like absolute garbage. So it's not a perfect system, but I feel that it's a fairly reliable gauge of how I'm feeling. Plus, it's nice to be able to show my wife to prove that I'm tired. She knows how she feels when she's at 5, so I've been able to use it to my advantage a few times. I tell her I'm tired and I need a break and I can prove it with some sort of evidence. 😁

:taylormade-small: M6 clubs in the bag and a GARMIN Fenix 7 on the wrist!

Black Diamond Golf Club - Garmin Review (+13?*)

*reasoning for question mark is that I didn’t get to play the last hole so I just gave myself the par.

IMG_4396.jpg.626ae8e8f14dcf0bd14df274be2cfe35.jpg

Hey Spies, this past weekend I got to play Black Diamond - One of my favourite public courses in Ontario. I consider this a practice round for my tournament I played 2 days later, which I will be posting about soon!

IMG_4382.jpg.90bc4143c64fec0751f5e8e6908b255a.jpg

(I got new Footjoy shoes and wanted to show them off - Let me know what you think!)

My Body Battery to start the round was 52, dropped to 42 after 9 and at the end of the round was 34. On the last hole it starting pouring rain and it was a scramble to get to the car. I got absolutely drenched and as you can see in the pic, my stress was pretty high.

6A60D1F6-74A7-4082-9595-882919C5631B.JPEG.4dce367f6a2625965f4aceab481fad86.JPEG

For this round I wanted to compare the S70 to SwingU, which was what I was using prior to this testing. Well, that didn’t work out as SwingU is on my phone and the reception was terrible on the course.

IMG_4378.jpg.d4b4fbce5a536586ceec5fd8eaab450a.jpg

An amazing feature on the Garmin is you’re able to download the course prior to playing. That voids any issue of reception or using phone data. I will eventually compare the two, but I think this shows that the Garmin is the better option. Most course I play don’t have the best reception.

Black Diamond has a GPS Screen in every cart which is a great feature. My previous round at Winchester I was questioning the yardages on the S70, but I was able to actually compare this time to what the course provided and am quite pleased with the results. The Garmin was a yard off from the golf cart GPS.

78E86F49-F7E8-47C3-95E5-59C788F7A87B.JPEG.89dce7d12fe425bfb01a8f23606dbfaf.JPEG

Im sure if I moved to the front of the cart it would be the same yardage. As I said in my Introduction I was looking for accurate yardages and It definitely seems the Garmin provides that!

The driver was having a good day and Its great that the Garmin products track all of your shots.

3064024E-31C8-4518-BEB9-465787B36A3A.JPEG.014db0d0f8c138348242b39ebd6b416d.JPEG

I think it’s extremely important to know your yardages with each club and getting that data from Garmin is very informative. On the Garmin Golf App it tracks every parameter and give it to you in a very simple/effective diagram.

IMG_4449.jpg.73976cf6ba0290724b20adba5054d524.jpg

From tracking all these shots the Garmin app suggests that I aim a bit more left to avoid misses right, also mentions that these misses to the right have added 1.29 strokes to my rounds. I never would have had access to this data and its extremely helpful.

IMG_4390.JPG.47babda3cd0298e6cfc1a869534957cb.JPG

This was a great round with the Garmin and as this testing goes on the more I’m enjoying these products. I can’t wait to share my tournament round as it was an absolute rollercoaster!

Edited by cburins

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 - TENSEI AV Series White 65 Stiff

3wood: Taylormade Stealth - Ventus Blue Stiff 

Driving Iron: Ping Crossover 3iron - Ping Stiff 

Irons: 4-PW Titleist AP2 - Dynamic Gold S300 

Wedges: 52 Vokey SM6 (F Grind), 56 Vokey SM8 (D Grind), 60 Vokey SM9 (M Grind)

Putter: LAB MEZZ.1 MAX

Ball: Titleist TruFeel 

GPS: Garmin S70/CT10 Sensors 

On 6/21/2024 at 10:06 PM, FallenSaber said:

Have any of you noticed an issue with the hole finder feature? It's not an feature I have used often but when I have used it, it's sometimes way off. This is one example. The hole finder is pointing back and to the left, but the hole is directly in front of me.

20230904_074930.jpg.361e3d26b87e1c0869bcbf5b2a9e452d.jpg

That's very weird... Ive only used this once and it worked great. I'll keep you updated and see if any issues arise with this feature. 

WITB:

4 hours ago, CorentinV said:

Totally agree for the consequences of a 0/100 body battery. But there are still some figues below 5 😉

In addition, if we are considering 5/100 as the lower Body Battey score possible:

• Does it mean I can’t be much more tired, stressed or whatever?
  • Does it mean my body battery is the same after playing a 18-holes course whereas I started it with a body battery of 5/100 and finished it with a 5/100 body battery score too?
  • Finally, does this not call into question the relevance and precision of the body battery?

@cburins, @revkev@VernL4, @GolfSpy_APH and all Garmin’s users, what are your thoughts about that?

Thank you!

Ive only had my body battery hit 5 twice and that was the weekend I volunteered at the Canadian Open. I was absolutely dead at the end of both days. This definitely does bring into question if the body battery is accurate. Could it potentially overlap into the next day and interfere with the score? Maybe it would deduct from your next day body battery instead of the 5 threshold. 

WITB:

50 minutes ago, bsmith2322 said:

The battery has a lot to do with diet as well. If I eat fried food for dinner, or eat too late, sleep score may not be affected too much but battery will be lower than usual. 

The biggest difference I see is in Recovery after workouts. Sometimes my strenuous workouts where I feel I really pushed myself have a quick recovery time (10-15 hours). Sometimes when I have a lighter intensity workout, maybe some strength training, the recovery time will be 5-10 hours. Other times it will tell me my recovery is 30+ hours but I don’t feel that fatigued after the workout. I feel like I know my body better than the watch but there could be more factors (diet/sleep/stress) that I’m not factoring in to the recovery. 

The numbers are pretty similar to that of my old Whoop band so not too much to complain about in the general scheme but there are some questionable readings that I have noticed. 

I do recall something about the system taking some time to adjust to each individual. HRV is different for each person, so it takes a while to learn your normal stats. Maybe it continues learning about you and the numbers are more accurate with time. I don't know. 🤷‍♂️

I don’t know these past two tests -  csnoil and the Sacks Parente and now CorentinV here - great stuff teammate.  And my other teammates are not far below that bar - I need to pick it up. 

BTW we did video my swing on a shot where the C10 sensor came out of my 7 iron - I was hoping it would be visible but it’s not. Since this is happening frequently I check the sensor after each shot and just screen it back in. 

I wanted to highlight the on course accuracy of the Garmin S70 and then move on to a health comment.

IMG_0583.jpeg.a1a9edff6d4ed0e431df10bdc2996bec.jpegI played in league today - I always walk the 9 because the course is walkable and the play is often slow - the 2:24 9 seemed less slow because we walked. In the old days I may have come to this sprinkler head thinking I had 189 to the middle pin. My watch told a different story -

IMG_0584.jpeg.93939bf554bb6e6fa1a9f77eacd2f4d9.jpegMy range finder actually said 199  - when we got to the green the pin was middle back - that’s nearly a full club - I’d love to say I knocked it on the green and made par. What I did do by taking enough club was get it to hole high right with a chance to save par - had I thought it was 189 I would have been in a trap guarding the front right of the green. 

Looking at the last shot distance demonstrates the struggle of the day - I was hitting push fades all day with driver - very tired, no legs, 25 to 30 yards shorter than normal off the tee - should have just hit 5 wood all day. 

Shot a 39 which was pretty good given how poor I felt. I did not sleep well last night. I spent the entire day wrestling with my daughters insurance - she’s been kicked off of Medicare again - she has been disabled since birth but because she had the misfortune of turning 18 during COVID we’ve had two Medicaid expulsions when they’ve automatically cleaned out anyone added during COVID - it literally took our congresswoman’s office to get her on last time. She will get it back this time, too and we should be good from there but it’s going to take time - so for now it’s affordable health and relying on church members who are an optometrist, dentist and neurologist to provide discounted services should something be needed. It’s nice to have caring, skilled friends, 

Sorry for the aside - back to the watch - I started the round at a body battery of 11. No warm up - no need - it was well over 100 heat index, I was gassed and after sone stretching felt ready to go. Back nine - drive on 10 was my only good one all day - right into a sand filled divot - we play the ball down unless it’s cart path only - it wasn’t - I somehow managed to hit a half topped wedge (6 grooves down?) onto the green 15 feet below the hole - 2 putt par, had a long birdie putt on 2 - nice come backer and then after a block fade drive (that became my shot du jour with any long club - sign that I was tired) hit an 8 iron 20 feet behind the hole that lipped out for birdie - too bad would have been a skin.

I noticed my heart rate elevating as I walked up to the 12th green / I have an irregular heart beat called SVT - it’s not like AFib so I have that going for me but it can get up around 200 when it kicks in - not fun. As I came off the green I  checked the rate and it was past 130 moving towards 140 - I found a tree in the shade as we waited, did some breathing techniques that my cardiologist taught me and got it quickly reversed to between 105 and 115 - not bad for me on such a hot day, walking. 

Also checked my pulse ox under that tree - 

IMG_0591.jpeg.db0a716975c0cfde4ae695a445a1648a.jpeg

This made me feel better about where I was at. Bottom line situation that could have gotten out of control did not and I was able to continue my round and feel fine tonight. 

Thus watch is a lifestyle game changer for me in that I can be easily check certain vitals to see what’s going on internally. I can be a bit of a hypochondriac - so seeing a heart rate under 140 let me know I’d be okay. In the past I may have gone into freak out mode.

Finally a note about the body battery score of 5. This is not my first one. To me there are 5’s and there are 5’s. I still had energy at the end of the round on Sunday when I was a 5. That was at the end of 18 riding.  Had absolutely nothing at a 5 today at the end of 9 walking - same distance holes were driver 7 iron Sunday, driver 5 wood today. And the wind was far more favorable today. 

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

On 6/21/2024 at 10:06 PM, FallenSaber said:

Have any of you noticed an issue with the hole finder feature? It's not an feature I have used often but when I have used it, it's sometimes way off. This is one example. The hole finder is pointing back and to the left, but the hole is directly in front of me.

20230904_074930.jpg.361e3d26b87e1c0869bcbf5b2a9e452d.jpg

I've noticed that the pinpointer works best when the watch face is horizontal- parallel to the ground. It gets goofy when you turn your wrist toward your face. So instead of turning your wrist toward your face, you have to hold your wrist level and move your head to see the display. 🤷‍♂️

I'm thinking of adding the new Garmin Z30 rangefinder to the bag. It seems like it would be a great addition with how it syncs with the Garmin watches. Maybe @GolfSpy_APH will throw some our way to test out...

Driver- TSR4 Tensei 1K Black 65 TX

3W- Callaway Mavrik 15 degree

2iron- Taylormade UDI

4-PW- Apex Pro 19 KBS Tour V

Wedges- 50, 54, 58 Vokey SM7

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour X

15 minutes ago, bsmith2322 said:

I'm thinking of adding the new Garmin Z30 rangefinder to the bag. It seems like it would be a great addition with how it syncs with the Garmin watches. Maybe @GolfSpy_APH will throw some our way to test out...

If it does it wouldn't be till 2025. This season is booked 🙂

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Battle of the Sensors: Garmin CT10 vs. Arccos with Link Tracker

As a golf enthusiast constantly striving to improve my game, I've had the opportunity to play with the Arccos sensors with the Link Tracker before starting to test the Garmin CT10 sensors. Here’s my firsthand experience with these two leading shot-tracking systems.

Ease of Use and Setup
Let's start with the setup. The difference here is minimal. The Garmin CT10 sensors are slightly bulkier and more noticeable, but they’re still lightweight enough to forget about during a round. However, I’ve had some trouble with the sensors staying in place on a couple of my irons. I already lost one CT10 sensors on my 7i... On the other hand, the Arccos sensors fit more snugly and haven’t given me any such issues. Some of us already noticed that but the absence of dedicated putter’s sensor is a big issue for Garmin… 
Note, Arccos requires an annual subscription for its use which increases the total price of the system a little. It can appears as an inconvenience for some of you.
Result: +1 Arccos

puttersensor.jpg.1c01a575b0700f54f9b185bd0d1ceaae.jpg

Accuracy of Shot Tracking
Both systems offer comparable accuracy when it comes to the sensors themselves. The real difference lies in how they record shots. Garmin relies on the movement to register a shot, which can be less precise and sometimes requires manual adjustments during a game. Arccos, with its Link Tracker, uses sound to detect shots. This makes Arccos much more precise and enjoyable to use, especially in the heat of the game. While the Garmin CT10 combined with the S70 watch demands a bit more effort to manage on the course, the Arccos system feels more seamless.
Result: +1 Arccos

Actionable Insights
When it comes to actionable insights, both systems are on par. The distinction comes in how you access this information: through the watch for Garmin or the phone for Arccos. Your preference will depend on whether you like to play with your phone or not. In addition, Arccos released some months ago an Apple Watch app for their system making them is real competition with the Garmin S70.
Result: Even

Impact on Game Strategy and Course Management
Both systems significantly enhance your understanding of the course layout, including bunkers, water hazards, and other obstacles. But if we focus on the sensors themselves, they helped me to know accurately my distances with each club. It results in better club choices, allowing me to swing with more confidence. 

Connectivity
I’ve experienced no connectivity issues with either system. Both are intuitive and maintain a reliable connection throughout the round. 

Battery Life and Durability
Garmin shines in this department. My Garmin watch lasts almost a week, even with multiple rounds of golf. While the Arccos Link Pro boasts an advertised battery life of 8 rounds, the increased usage of my phone does affect the overall experience. Garmin’s system seems more robust and less demanding on auxiliary devices.
Result:: +1 Garmin

Improvements in My Game
Two stats stand out since I started using these systems: the number of fairways hit and my percentage of greens in regulation. Both systems have provided me with the data needed to make informed decisions and adjust my strategy accordingly.

IMG_3969.jpeg.e44ce5fc1b4c11b7a883443e136b186a.jpegIMG_4114.jpeg.644c71aa3b04dac4639d8fd6b7d218b5.jpeg

Sensors recommendation

Based on my experience and the price points, I find Arccos to be the more compelling choice despite the price and the subscription. Even if you prefer not to use your phone on the course, Arccos offers an app for the Apple Watch. This flexibility, combined with the precision of the Link Tracker, makes it a standout option for golfers looking to elevate their game. However, if you are not an Apple fan, Garmin is a top solution to improve your game for decades now.

In the end, both systems have their merits, sensors are pretty similar, and the best choice will depend on your personal preferences and play style. Whether you go with Garmin or Arccos, both will undoubtedly provide valuable insights to help you improve your performance on the course.

Edited by CorentinV

Corentin | Québec City, QC - B2 Golf member 🇨🇦
Average Quebec-based golfer on a quest to refine skills and deepen golfing knowledge

📊 Golfing Stats: Handicap 14.7 | Best Round 84 | Trackman Handicap 6.2
⛳ Favorite Courses: Celebration, Orlando (FL) | Club de Golf Orléans, St-Pétronille (QC, Canada) | La Tempête, Lévis (QC, Canada)
🎒 WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 9º - HZRDUS Smoke Black stiff shaft 
  • Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 3W & 5W - HZRDUS Smoke Red stiff shaft 
  • Irons: TaylorMade Stealth (5i to Gap Wedge) - Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shaft 
  • Wedges: Titleist SM10 Chrome (52º12F, 56°12D & 60º08M) - Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shaft 
  • Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Super Select 2.5+ - stock steel shaft 
  • Bag: Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black 
  • Ball: Titleist Pro V1 | Titleist Velocity
  • Tracking system : Arccos Gen3. + Arccos Link Pro 

🎓 Golf Instructor: Alex Shattuck (TGRe)
🔎 Tests & Reviews :

Passionate about all things golf. Here to learn, share, and test the limits of my game.
Let's make every shot count! 🎯

Sleepy Hollows - Garmin Tournament Mode Review (T3)

IMG_4436.jpg.b35e19d108cf1d2c0e9600514ba4ba71.jpg

Well Spies, Lets just say I had an absolute rollercoaster of a day…

I finished T3 and am extremely happy with this as it was my second tournament ever. For those of you that aren’t aware, I play on the GTAAMTour and it’s my first season as a tour player. This tour is handicap based and having an 11 handicap this places me in the B Flight. (There are 5 flights: CH, A, B, C and ONS)

EE3935D3-FC99-40FA-99A0-874B28DB318B.JPEG.0493b4540b91508c5086e024cf29e5ed.JPEG

(I took out the names of the other competitors)

Round Recap:

(Skip this portion if you want to get to the Garmin aspect of the review)

The first hole nerves weren’t really there and I felt good, but I definitely had a bit of adrenaline going as I hit my 4 iron 230 yards to the back of the bunker… Next shot was 135 to the pin and that’s a 9 Iron for me. I pured it and it ended up flying 160 into the forest. Dropped for 4, chunked my chipped and then holed out on the next chip for double bogey.

2nd hole was a blind tee shot that lead to a downhill green. I sliced my driving iron to the left forest, hit for 3 off the tee and still pulled it to just in front of the left trees. I hit a horrible approach shot into the tall grass lining the forest, my chip out hit the tiny GUR post and went back into the tall stuff! Hacked it onto the green somehow and 2 putt. 9 on a par 5…yikes. I wasn’t feeling too great and the anxiety of tournament play was kicking in. Told myself I’ll give it one last push to finish 9 holes and if the round continued this way I’d withdraw.

53814431913_cfdb271732_o2.jpg.318471f943f4cbf973664cc3834b2449.jpg

I bogeyed the next par 3 - awful tee shot, chip and then 2 putt. This is where the the day turned around. I hit a great drive in the middle of the fairway, my approach shot ended up just left. I chipped onto the green and sunk a 25 footer for birdie! That definitely Brought my confidence back. 2 back to back bogeys (1 really bad lip out for par). This is where the round really turned around - through holes 7-15 I was 1 under.

Hole 8 I almost got a hole in one. 150yrd par 3 - Perfect stock 8 iron. I was aiming at the right of the green and hit a perfect cut. The ball hit the ridge of the right side of the green and roll next to the hole. From the tee box it looked like I had a good 10-15ft putt for the birdie but once I got up there I was left with this:

Resized_20240624_145757_1719270527412.jpg.36ba0167d66ade6c47b68cc3f818cf95.jpg

Once I got to hole 16 I had back to back bad holes. The chipping yips came out and lead to a triple and double bogey. If I went par par I would’ve tied for first and went to a playoff. It’s easy to think about these mistakes and be hard on myself but overall I can’t believe I stuck it out after going +6 through 2 holes to finish tied for 3rd.

Okay, enough of my recap - Lets get into the Garmin!

To start the round my Body Battery was at 49, dropped to 32 after 9 and I finished with a body battery of 21. This is definitely the most draining round of golf Ive played and it definitely makes sense. Tournament golf is no joke and can be extremely stressful. Now that Ive played a decent amount of round I will soon be comparing Body Battery to performance.

B0955F1B-9201-4D39-A696-9CFBE0C0C533.JPEG.d3db6a7e4911923f035cbea6ec357b13.JPEG

An amazing feature the Garmin has to offer is Tournament Mode:

Tournament Mode

Disables the PinPointer and PlaysLike distance features. These features are not allowed during sanctioned tournaments or handicap calculation rounds.

It was extremely helpful to have two sources of yardages - My Garmin S70 and the courses yardage book. The yardage book only provided off the tee yardages and hazards, as the Garmin provided every yardage and hazard.

One thing I will say is that I got really comfortable with the Garmin’s Plays Like Feature and it was definitely an adjustment on the course to try and calculate the slope myself. Basically what I’m saying is the Garmin’s Plays Like Feature is amazing.

Losing the PinPointer feature wasn’t the biggest loss, but I definitely could’ve used it as most of these tee shots were blind.

After each round the Garmin give you your Fairways hit, GIR and Putts for the round.

IMG_4462.jpg.a2fbf33d8c154587ca49249d627d5b5a.jpg

As you can see off the tee I wasn’t so hot and 50% GIR isn’t the greatest either, but the putter was hot. 1.6 putts per hole is above tour average.

“professional golfers average about 1.8 putts per hole and 32 putts per round.”

I found this online and am not too sure how accurate it is.

Downside to the CT10 Sensors is they are not compatible with Superstroke Putter Grips. I lose a lot of data tracking because of that.

Overall, I definitely think the Garmin products helped me play the way I did for this tournament, as it was a huge change from my last tournament that placed me solo 15th. The layout and yardages on the watch definitely give me a good layer of confidence over the ball. 

Sorry for this being a lengthy post, I was very excited to share all of this. I tried to get as many pictures as I could but as the round went on I was focused on the tournament instead of content.

IMG_4454.JPG.de0670405706916703d3c2e159a5870d.JPG

WITB:

On 6/24/2024 at 7:35 AM, VernL4 said:

Yes, I've had incorrect sleep data when my sleep is interrupted during the night. It seems like it saves one part of the info- the part before or the part after the time that I was awake during the night. You can edit this info in the Connect app by adjusting the sleep and wake times. After editing, it will show a large block of time as awake, which seems to be fairly accurate. I'm not sure if this will change the sleep score, though.

I had my S70 pick up a 15 min nap I had last week. I hadn't seen that one before. I'll see what it picks up as my sleep schedule will be wonky then next week or so. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

On 6/21/2024 at 9:45 AM, cburins said:

Garmin S70 Swing Tempo Training

This morning I went for a range session at The Docks here in Toronto (This place looks like a set from Happy Gilmore hahaha). I wanted to test out the swing tempo feature the Garmin S70 has to offer.73876440321__5EBA495B-8939-4C1A-9DC5-87DD6651CB04.jpg.22fac2fe272cfe76ca6cafe4cb17972f.jpg

Basically the Swing Tempo Training has Amateur and Pro settings: Amateur -  slow, medium, fast and Pro  - slow, medium and fast. It took me a handful of swing to get into the right tempo category based off my swing speed. I ended up in the Pro slow tempo. The watch tracks your backswing and downswing time - Pro Slow being at 0.9s backswing and 0.30s downswing. After completing a swing the watch will give you your results. It will notify you if your back/down swing was too fast or slow by leaving a red line instead of green on the bottom of the face.

361EC2F0-ADD9-4CE0-8557-04375CFBA62C.jpg.d4d111f108388df7e74bfbda8e774399.jpg

A feature I would recommend turning on during Tempo Training is the vibrate mode. This will vibrate the watch for you to give you a signal of the tempo you should have. I found it quite useful as my tempo started to be very consistent. I was averaging a 3.2s swing tempo which is aligned with the Pro Slow speed. My shot felt more fluid than usual and it was nice to have a reference of where I should be. 

IMG_4089.jpg.56939c7e301c7ce32f6abba725688f61.jpg

I think during my next range session I will attempt to try the faster swing tempos. I have always struggled with speed and maybe having the vibrations on my wrist will help me get the tempo down.

This is all I got for the Swing Tempo Training so far, but I will continue to use it and see if I discover anything else. If you want to know anything else about this feature please let me know and I will cover it. 

Overall this is an amazing side feature the Garmin S70 has to offer!

Is this part a paid service with Garmin? I just searched my watch and app and couldn't find it.  Once I am back to playing golf, this would be a great way to start my journey back playing. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

33 minutes ago, JFish350 said:

Is this part a paid service with Garmin? I just searched my watch and app and couldn't find it.  Once I am back to playing golf, this would be a great way to start my journey back playing. 

Nope, it's just in the activity list on my watch.

On 6/26/2024 at 11:04 AM, bsmith2322 said:

Yep, I'm definitely interested in how the connection to the watch can help while playing.

41 minutes ago, JFish350 said:

This is a free feature! Hit the top button, then selects the 4 dots on the bottom of the screen and Swing Tempo should be there. If not, you might have to add it. 

WITB:

IMG_0634.jpeg.edb4b398b4b3675763e4ddc144570ede.jpegIMG_0633.jpeg.36e4be56a22bc979ae6c42a3dfc6a352.jpegOkay so on a brief golf hiatus for our annual baseball trip. We try to hit a different ballpark every summer.  This year it’s Philly and DC and yes, Cooperstown!!! A parishioner knows someone who works for the Phillies and we had the most remarkable seats. 

IMG_0628.jpeg.b6b17f010006e6fa7e13846c6974ee54.jpegI played baseball in college and when my older children were that age coached one of this high level traveling teams up to U13 as well as umpired U14 which was on a full sized field - I know my sons team had a pitcher who threw in the mid 80’s and he was not necessarily the hardest thruster in that league. At any rate I could actually hear the ball coming off the pitchers fingers from our seats - it was so much fun. Love the sport.  Thanks to the Phillies for giving us a great fan experience. 

Since this is about health first and golf second I still have lots to report on my watch’s performance:

IMG_0635.jpeg.facf33730b3aa0d9c532741fd2c98efd.jpeg

This represents my highest sleep score yet. I tacked on an additional hour of sleep that I didn’t get credit for. I know it’s been a constant refrain but sleeping important to good health. I’m a competitive kind of guy - give me numbers to shoot for and I will. I feel like I’m being handicapped on this one though. 

The positive is that the watch is encouraging me to rethink my sleep habits and work on different techniques to improve the quality of my sleep. 

As a funny aside I’m very surprised that my stress level almost never tops out above moderate. I have a very high stress job. I speak in front of crowds that at times get north of 500, I’m with people when they die, spouses that our fighting, parents upset at their children’s treatment in school or by others, children being mistreated at home, issues with staff, and then there’s my own life stuff. Could it be that the stress I face doesn’t impact me as much as others and that’s why I handle it fairly well?

What I don’t handle well is heights, particularly high bridges - hate them.  I generally know when these are coming on a trip and my wife drives while I keep my head down. So she drive to the game and back last night - we are only 20 minutes from downtown Philly but the Walt Whitman bridge lurks between the two locations. When I reviewed my stress levels for the day there were these two huge red spikes about 4 hours apart in the evening. 🙂

Alright time to go workout - I’m ready ——

IMG_0635.jpeg.facf33730b3aa0d9c532741fd2c98efd.jpeg

Morning update. Had an excellent recovery last night. But still only 57 body battery. It was a long day yesterday, but feel good refreshed and ready to take on the day!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

IMG_0661.jpeg.c88d11352dc295a22d26ece34010d3c3.jpegCount me as another one impressed by the battery life. I’m on day 8 after the last charge. Played two rounds of golf during that time. I’m thinking I have two more days at least. 

Made our way to DC this afternoon after a stop at the Franklin institute.

IMG_0651.jpeg.76d29cc6e5c5f4ab6a08f0775a26452c.jpeg

On 6/25/2024 at 1:38 PM, revkev said:

I've had a hard time getting my body battery above 60 or so. One night I went to bed very early, slept longer than usual, and I was able to get it up to 71 but by the end of the day I was down to 5 just like every other day. 

Are you using the Garmin Golf App, the Garmin Connect App, or both? I have both on my phone. 

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

I've played 10 times using the Garmin and the Virtual Caddie is starting to get more and more accurate and is definitely helping my play; I don't know if it's just that accurate or I'm swinging with more confidence, but it's working. I played pretty well yesterday, shot my low 9 of the season with a 44 on the front at Langston. I had doubles on two of the last 3 holes too! I'm getting closer and closer to putting it all together.

IMG_5652.JPG.4ceb184896c794e341e995a9b6ea4fd9.JPG

Here's a missed birdie putts for your trouble.

Hole #2

Sized2024_06.30Hole2.jpg.b0415fc08fc86bc23b76e193edfa364c.jpg

Sized 2024.06.30 Hole 2.jpg

WITB

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

5 hours ago, NubianRugby said:

I've had a hard time getting my body battery above 60 or so. One night I went to bed very early, slept longer than usual, and I was able to get it up to 71 but by the end of the day I was down to 5 just like every other day. 

Are you using the Garmin Golf App, the Garmin Connect App, or both? I have both on my phone. 

Uhm hadn’t thought of using the App for it - so just the watch. I will have to try the App when I get home from this vacation. 

Really enjoying DC

Heading to Cooperstown tomorrow before starting the trek back South.

On 6/25/2024 at 3:16 PM, cburins said:

That's very weird... Ive only used this once and it worked great. I'll keep you updated and see if any issues arise with this feature. 

I didn't even know this feature was there until reading these posts about it. Would have been helpful a couple of weeks ago when I was playing an unfamiliar course.

WITB

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Well, the struggle continues for the putter sensor. For those of you not familiar, I use a SuperStroke Pistol 1.0 Grip and the CT10 Sensors are not compatible with that kind of grip. 

9D7EDD05-A0A7-432B-8150-940E2661E350.JPEG.935a301916d4708fa6726942cd861da6.JPEG

I was able to get the insert off on one of the sensors, but now the tricky part is finding a way to attach it. 

IMG_4352.jpg.e34cc31371dac79f330432b7be4c1eaa.jpg

IMG_4354.jpg.ecacf2442999e704015ed67462f848cd.jpg

If anyone has some recommendations please let me know! I was thinking of using some double sided tape and seeing what happens. My only worry is with my putter rattling around in my bag it will fall off. 

WITB:

Watching my heart rate go up while I'm waiting for my chronically late golf partner.

image.jpeg.8b36ea5c676f001690b204eae67548f6.jpeg

WITB

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

15 hours ago, NubianRugby said:

Watching my heart rate go up while I'm waiting for my chronically late golf partner.

image.jpeg.8b36ea5c676f001690b204eae67548f6.jpeg

How did you play?

18 hours ago, cburins said:

Well, the struggle continues for the putter sensor. For those of you not familiar, I use a SuperStroke Pistol 1.0 Grip and the CT10 Sensors are not compatible with that kind of grip. 

9D7EDD05-A0A7-432B-8150-940E2661E350.JPEG.935a301916d4708fa6726942cd861da6.JPEG

I was able to get the insert off on one of the sensors, but now the tricky part is finding a way to attach it. 

IMG_4352.jpg.e34cc31371dac79f330432b7be4c1eaa.jpg

IMG_4354.jpg.ecacf2442999e704015ed67462f848cd.jpg

If anyone has some recommendations please let me know! I was thinking of using some double sided tape and seeing what happens. My only worry is with my putter rattling around in my bag it will fall off. 

Shot Scope has putter tags without the screw but with that double-sided tape stuff. So far I've not had any issues with it. When I put it on, I made sure the top of the putter grip was good and clean. Then after putting the sensor on with the tape, I set it on the sensor (turned the putter upside down) for the rest of the day to help "press" the tape into the putter grip. Not sure that works for everyone or every type of double sided tape, but so far it's worked for me.

FYI, I use the Super Stroke Pistol 2.0 grip.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

2 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

Shot Scope has putter tags without the screw but with that double-sided tape stuff. So far I've not had any issues with it. When I put it on, I made sure the top of the putter grip was good and clean. Then after putting the sensor on with the tape, I set it on the sensor (turned the putter upside down) for the rest of the day to help "press" the tape into the putter grip. Not sure that works for everyone or every type of double sided tape, but so far it's worked for me.

FYI, I use the Super Stroke Pistol 2.0 grip.

This is good to know, thank you! I think double sided tape will be the best move. I might have to sand it down so it's a bit more flush and that the full surface will stick. 

WITB: