Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Solid Feeling Irons

Sorg67

I am looking for solid feeling irons with reasonable forgiveness.  I think the performance of Taylormade P790 or Titleist T350 would be about right for me but I do not like their feel.  Maybe the thin forged face with multimaterial construction is creating the feel I don't like.  Not sure.  I would prefer a simple one piece construction, forged would be nice but one piece old style cast cavity back would be acceptable.  I don't need the extra distance of the distance irons but I want forgiveness for off center hits.  Any suggestions?

I'm playing Srixon ZX5's and am very happy with them.  It would be worth a demo of them.  On the newer side you might check out the new Mizuno JPX lineup that was just announced.  There's an article on the main MGS site about them.  I'd also recommend checking through the most wanted lists for the past couple years if you are looking for ideas.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Mizuno JPX line.  And the 923 models are on sale now.  They are strong lofted but just think of the 7 iron as a 6 iron and you're good to go.

14 of the following:

Taylormade Qi10 Max

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 26 degrees

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping G430 irons 6-50 degree

Sub 70 286 wedges 52 and 56 degrees

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

22 hours ago, Sorg67 said:

I am looking for solid feeling irons with reasonable forgiveness.  I think the performance of Taylormade P790 or Titleist T350 would be about right for me but I do not like their feel.  Maybe the thin forged face with multimaterial construction is creating the feel I don't like.  Not sure.  I would prefer a simple one piece construction, forged would be nice but one piece old style cast cavity back would be acceptable.  I don't need the extra distance of the distance irons but I want forgiveness for off center hits.  Any suggestions?

What "feel" are you looking for,  I think the P790 and T350 feel fine and feel solid.  You don't need the extra distance of players distance irons then you should look at players irons since they seem to generally fit the one piece design you like.    Maybe look Titleist T100, TaylorMade P-7MC, or Mizuno JPX 923 as they rate as the most forgiving in the Most Wanted testing which test across multiple handicap and speed levels.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It is hard to describe the feeling I like other than solid.  I really liked the feel of the T100, but I don't hit it consistently enough at the moment.  Maybe I could get there. Perhaps I should hit the T350 and P790 again.  Thanks for the input.

I have played Callaway Irons since 2001 and have loved the way most of their models feel. I have also heard a lot of amazing things about Takomo irons and one of my close friends just got them and i hit them they feel amazing. 

Driver Callaway: Ai Smoke triple diamond

3&5 wood : Callaway Mavrick 

Callaway 21 UW

Irons: Callaway Rogue Pro 4-pw 

52 56 60: Callaway Jaws 

Putter: Odyssey 2 ball tour filled and recently added Jailbird Mini 

Ball: Titleist Pro V

Maltby TS3.   Not a distance iron, but extremely forgiving and one of the softest but feedback-providing forgings I have ever felt.  

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra:  Shogun Blue M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

Another vote for the JPX line, my particular experience being with the JPX-923 Pros.

I also didn't really like the feel of the P790 irons (original release). I also didn't like the random hot shots that flew much longer than whatever the particular iron ever should.

The JPX-923 Pros have offered me all that I could've hoped for. The profile that I prefer, packed with loads of forgiveness while offering solid feel.

Maltby TS-3 Forged Irons.

I was fitted to T350's and have been gaming and enjoying them 3 days a week for nearly a year. They're forgiving as a priest and my good shots feel like butter. But I never wholly feel my shots very well. Never know exactly what happened on my mis-hits. The T350's are great clubs and I rely on them for scoring my best.

But you are looking for solid feeling irons. Knowing that one piece forged heads offer good feel and seeing the built in forgiveness in the cavity back design of the TS-3's, I ordered the 4 iron to try, and to replace my 4H. After playing the 4i along with my T350's for a few rounds, I ordered the rest of the TS-3 set. I went with regular flex AMT Black shafts. 

Now, after playing several rounds with them, I'm addicted. The Maltby T3's are as forgiving as my T350's, but they offer enough feel and feedback that I know exactly what I do wrong when I don't flush it. That keeps me focused, makes me dial in a bit better. And then there's that beautiful feeling when I hit it dead-on. You know, when it feels like you just hit a ball of peanut butter, wanna tell your buddies to give you a moment while you just stand there and grin.

I bought the PW and GW, but have put my Vokey's back in the bag. The Vokey's work better for me around the greens, interact with the turf better.

Dr: G430Max10K

3W, 5W: Stealth 2+

4i - 9i: T350

P, G, S, L: Vokey

Putter: Bettinardi BB46