Unofficial Review - Garmin Fenix 8 51mm AMOLED Watch Review - A golfers perspective

MissionMan

Bravo.  Extremely well written and informative review.  I have been looking to move on from the Apple Watch because of battery life.  

Driver: Callway Rogue St Triple Diamond 9*

2 HY: Mizuno STZ 230 16* (set to 13.75)

2 Iron: Taylormade UDI 17*

Irons: 2019 Titleist T100S 3-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM6 54* and SM9 48* / Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter: PING Anser 

Ball: Pro V1

Bag: Jones 

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Bravo.  Extremely well written and informative review.  I have been looking to move on from the Apple Watch because of battery life.  

Thanks.

Battery life was my killer as well. If I did kitesurfing sessions in the afternoon, I would find my battery dead by the end. 

GT2 10° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 60  
GT2 16.5° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 70
TSR2 18° HZRDUS Black 6.0 4G 
2 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
4 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Grip Master Tour Wrap Grips
Garmin Z30

This was an exemplary review!  Well done!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Excellent review! I have a Fenix 7 solar. I'm a fan of the MIP display. Some people like it, some people don't. I work outside, so I prefer the better legibility and longer battery life when compared to the amoled screen. But yes, the amoled is much better while inside. 

I do have a question about one of your comments. You said "It's also not possible to add custom exercises." I can create custom activities on my Fenix 7. When in the list of activities, I long-press the middle-left button. There is an option to "copy activity" in that list. I've used that option to create an activity for indoor walks, and I also created a custom bike-mountain bike-bike activity. They also already have generic acitivities like "other" and "track me" that can be added to your favorite activity list, then copied and customized. All of these options for adding/copying/customizing activities are also available on the Connect app on your phone. Maybe you could take a look at one of those options. 

:taylormade-small: M6 clubs in the bag and a GARMIN Fenix 7 on the wrist!

5 hours ago, VernL4 said:

Excellent review! I have a Fenix 7 solar. I'm a fan of the MIP display. Some people like it, some people don't. I work outside, so I prefer the better legibility and longer battery life when compared to the amoled screen. But yes, the amoled is much better while inside. 

I do have a question about one of your comments. You said "It's also not possible to add custom exercises." I can create custom activities on my Fenix 7. When in the list of activities, I long-press the middle-left button. There is an option to "copy activity" in that list. I've used that option to create an activity for indoor walks, and I also created a custom bike-mountain bike-bike activity. They also already have generic acitivities like "other" and "track me" that can be added to your favorite activity list, then copied and customized. All of these options for adding/copying/customizing activities are also available on the Connect app on your phone. Maybe you could take a look at one of those options. 

I don't actually have an issue with MIP. I know plenty of people who are happy with it. It just wasn't my preference. I think if you did a lot of outdoor stuff it would be perfect. I think part of the challenge is being over 50 means my eyesight isn't as good so I find I have to switch up brightness on my phone compared to my kids, need more light in restaurants to read menus, etc. It's seems like an issue with aging and the preference for a brighter screen.

To clarify that I meant, there are a few limitations on the custom workouts:

1. You can’t add a custom exercise if the item you need is in this list. You can add custom “workouts” which is what you are referring to, but not custom exercises. Some of the rotational exercises used in golf exercises aren’t in this list and you can’t add custom ones. You have to add their one and then in into notes what it really is which isn’t ideal. I think it would be easy for them to give people the option to add their own, along with maybe a picture or video of the exercise. 

IMG_4065.png.cdcdae9bd5c3ffadc8e6cb37e0199c7b.png

2. They have predefined step groups (I'm pretty sure they referred to these as activity types) like warm up and workout. Again, you can’t rename these so if I wanted to use another name, I’m constrained to the structure they have. With golf, I could use warm-up for the pre-game stretching, but if you’re on the range as a pre-game activity, then having some renaming would be nice to make it golf-centric. So I would prefer to have groupings like "Pre-range Stretch" and then have another group for the pre-game range session. 

IMG_4067.png.c169aafd6e8c3382dab569c7ed02f45f.png

Edited by MissionMan

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Garmin Z30

I really like the garmin watches but the biggest problem I have is to update courses you have to do it via garmin express which can only be accessed on a Mac or pc. As I have access to neither I was unable to update the garmin s70 I bought a couple of months ago and ultimately had to return it. 

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

31 minutes ago, Coulter said:

I really like the garmin watches but the biggest problem I have is to update courses you have to do it via garmin express which can only be accessed on a Mac or pc. As I have access to neither I was unable to update the garmin s70 I bought a couple of months ago and ultimately had to return it. 

Can’t you update via the phone app? I’ve always had it download from my phone to watch without issues. 

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Garmin Z30

11 minutes ago, MissionMan said:

Can’t you update via the phone app? I’ve always had it download from my phone to watch without issues. 

No I had an issue with my home course and was told 2 times that the 1st step before they would do anything was to update the watch via garmin express NOT garmin connect (the phone app) when I told them I didn’t have access to a Mac or pc they suggested borrowing one from a friend or family member.

Edited by Coulter

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

14 hours ago, MissionMan said:

I don't actually have an issue with MIP. I know plenty of people who are happy with it. It just wasn't my preference. I think if you did a lot of outdoor stuff it would be perfect. I think part of the challenge is being over 50 means my eyesight isn't as good so I find I have to switch up brightness on my phone compared to my kids, need more light in restaurants to read menus, etc. It's seems like an issue with aging and the preference for a brighter screen.

To clarify that I meant, there are a few limitations on the custom workouts:

1. You can’t add a custom exercise if the item you need is in this list. You can add custom “workouts” which is what you are referring to, but not custom exercises. Some of the rotational exercises used in golf exercises aren’t in this list and you can’t add custom ones. You have to add their one and then in into notes what it really is which isn’t ideal. I think it would be easy for them to give people the option to add their own, along with maybe a picture or video of the exercise. 

IMG_4065.png.cdcdae9bd5c3ffadc8e6cb37e0199c7b.png

2. They have predefined step groups (I'm pretty sure they referred to these as activity types) like warm up and workout. Again, you can’t rename these so if I wanted to use another name, I’m constrained to the structure they have. With golf, I could use warm-up for the pre-game stretching, but if you’re on the range as a pre-game activity, then having some renaming would be nice to make it golf-centric. So I would prefer to have groupings like "Pre-range Stretch" and then have another group for the pre-game range session. 

IMG_4067.png.c169aafd6e8c3382dab569c7ed02f45f.png

Oh! OK, yeah, I understand now. I don't know anything about those exercises within workouts... 🤷‍♂️😁

12 hours ago, Coulter said:

No I had an issue with my home course and was told 2 times that the 1st step before they would do anything was to update the watch via garmin express NOT garmin connect (the phone app) when I told them I didn’t have access to a Mac or pc they suggested borrowing one from a friend or family member.

That makes more sense. It’s more of a watch software update than course update. I guess they never thought it would be an issue given many households have one of the two at home.

From what I can see you can now do it directly from a mobile device

Edited by MissionMan

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Garmin Z30

13 hours ago, Coulter said:

Oh wow, that's a bummer! Like MissionMan said, I see an option in the Garmin Golf app on my phone to download course maps. I honestly don't know if that updates the map on the watch, though. I'm sorry to hear that you ended up returning the watch.  

9 hours ago, VernL4 said:

Oh wow, that's a bummer! Like MissionMan said, I see an option in the Garmin Golf app on my phone to download course maps. I honestly don't know if that updates the map on the watch, though. I'm sorry to hear that you ended up returning the watch.  

I was bummed out for sure. The only other issue I had was going off of the amount of calories burned in a day had me close to 4000 a day which seemed pretty excessive. I’ll probably be giving garmin another try in the future as they’re definitely my favorite all around watch just for $600 I wasn’t willing to put up with the problems I was experiencing.

Well done @MissionMan, on a well written and explained review.

I was an early adopter of Garmin way back when I first started cycling and quickly switched over to Garmin.

Fast forward to today and I have owned more than 6 x Garmin watches and computers and I am just always in awe at how well they track activities and design their equipment.

Activity tracking is probably where they shine the most for me, as they have almost every activity, that I want to do, as an option to track.

Does the Fenix 8 track your activities in a different way than with the 7, or is it still the same ecosystem, and activity feedback you get?

How accurate do you find it to be, compared to the 7?

Thanks

MY WITB list

Bag: Adidas 7 way stand bag

Cart: :Clicgear: Model 3

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9°

FW: :wilson_staff_small: D9 Fairway 

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: Launcher

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D9 4 - PW

Wedges: :ping-small: S159 - 50deg, 54deg, 60deg

Putter: :taylormade-small: Kia Ma Daytona

Ball:  :taylormade-small:Soft Response,  :srixon-small: AD333, :callaway-small: Supersoft

2024 Tester - :ping-small: S159 wedges. See my review here:

16 minutes ago, Leonvdwesthuizen said:

Well done @MissionMan, on a well written and explained review.

I was an early adopter of Garmin way back when I first started cycling and quickly switched over to Garmin.

Fast forward to today and I have owned more than 6 x Garmin watches and computers and I am just always in awe at how well they track activities and design their equipment.

Activity tracking is probably where they shine the most for me, as they have almost every activity, that I want to do, as an option to track.

Does the Fenix 8 track your activities in a different way than with the 7, or is it still the same ecosystem, and activity feedback you get?

How accurate do you find it to be, compared to the 7?

Thanks

It still has the same ecosystem, so there's not a big difference in the way it tracks. Slightly different interface but exact measurements.

Hard to say on the accuracy front. I don't really have anything to test it against, and if one was different to the other, I wouldn't be able to say which was correct. 

There looks to be a pro version coming out in the next year so not sure if that will have different hardware.

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Garmin Z30

@MissionMan great review!  I love the larger face and clarity!  I have the Fenix 6 solar and have really liked the watch. I do wish the screen was that clear though. 

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

@MissionMan excellent write up and review. I've been wondering about these more high-end Garmin watches for some time now, especially since they can be golf watches as well as workout watches as well as smart watches all in one package.

I've had my eye on the epix (Gen2) sapphire for a while as a nice entry point into the watch ecosystem (I have an R10). I've had more less expensive workout based Garmins in the past but nothing for a while.

I've had the Galaxy Watch4, 5, and now the 7. I have a Galaxy phone as well, so they pair well together. One thing I like on the Galaxy watch better is the sensor. It's a larger diameter, but it's also not as obtrusive as the Garmin (doesn't stick out as far). The problem I've had in the past with the Garmin's was that the sensor stuck out farther, and being a smaller diameter would rub my skin and cause irritation to the point I had to take it off for several days. I don't have that with my Galaxy watch.

I've been trying to find a single watch that can be everything for me - smart watch, workout watch, golf watch, etc and not have to be swapped out when I golf just to get distances and do stat tracking (I have a Shot Scope V5 now I swap out when I golf). I had hoped Garmin could fit that role, but with the CT10 sensors being pretty much garbage and the sensor rubbing issue, I just can't pull that trigger. 😞 I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and grab the Arccos Link Pro to go with my free sensors and the app on my phone/watch for now and get rid of my Shot Scope stuff.

But great review and glad it's more of what you needed/wanted.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/66852-unofficial-review-tpi-virtual-assessment
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!

4 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

@MissionMan excellent write up and review. I've been wondering about these more high-end Garmin watches for some time now, especially since they can be golf watches as well as workout watches as well as smart watches all in one package.

I've had my eye on the epix (Gen2) sapphire for a while as a nice entry point into the watch ecosystem (I have an R10). I've had more less expensive workout based Garmins in the past but nothing for a while.

I've had the Galaxy Watch4, 5, and now the 7. I have a Galaxy phone as well, so they pair well together. One thing I like on the Galaxy watch better is the sensor. It's a larger diameter, but it's also not as obtrusive as the Garmin (doesn't stick out as far). The problem I've had in the past with the Garmin's was that the sensor stuck out farther, and being a smaller diameter would rub my skin and cause irritation to the point I had to take it off for several days. I don't have that with my Galaxy watch.

I've been trying to find a single watch that can be everything for me - smart watch, workout watch, golf watch, etc and not have to be swapped out when I golf just to get distances and do stat tracking (I have a Shot Scope V5 now I swap out when I golf). I had hoped Garmin could fit that role, but with the CT10 sensors being pretty much garbage and the sensor rubbing issue, I just can't pull that trigger. 😞 I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and grab the Arccos Link Pro to go with my free sensors and the app on my phone/watch for now and get rid of my Shot Scope stuff.

But great review and glad it's more of what you needed/wanted.

Appreciate the feedback. 

The ct10 issue is odd. Seems to be a lot of people having issues with them either getting lost or breaking. Hopefully it gets fixed with the next gen. 

Edited by MissionMan

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Garmin Z30

1 hour ago, MissionMan said:

Appreciate the feedback. 

The ct10 issue is odd. Seems to be a lot of people having issues with them either getting lost or breaking. Hopefully it gets fixed with the next gen. 

Yeah, it's been a really disappointing part of their ecosystem. They're really expensive and they're enormous. Plus, they either break or just randomly fall off and get lost. They really need to fix them to be competitive at all.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/66852-unofficial-review-tpi-virtual-assessment
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!