Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

For the tech guys

My question is I am putting a new shaft in my 3 wood and I have a NV 65 stiff flex and I was wondering about tip trimming I mostly use it off the deck . If I don't trim the tip will it help to get the ball flight a little higher?

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

My question is I am putting a new shaft in my 3 wood and I have a NV 65 stiff flex and I was wondering about tip trimming I mostly use it off the deck . If I don't trim the tip will it help to get the ball flight a little higher?

Tipping it one inch will jump the flex up to an X flex. What you should looking for is something with a different kickpoint to get it up if you're concerned. Many things to consider, your swing speed etc and how you load the shaft etc. best move is to get into a qualified fitter. No guessing after seeing them.

Tip trimming increases flex and lowers ball flight slightly.

If you are wanting a stiffer flex it is normally better to buy the stiffer flex then tip it 1" where the flex might be the same in terms of CPMs. The 1" tip will have a lot different profile then the non-tipped shaft would even though the CPMs are the same.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Tip trimming increases flex and lowers ball flight slightly.

If you are wanting a stiffer flex it is normally to buy the stiffer flex then tip it 1" where the flex might be the same in terms of CPMs. The 1" tip will have a lot different profile then the non-tipped shaft would even though the SPMs are the same.

Thanks Jmiller!

MY BAG-

All Left Handed!

Tipping it one inch will jump the flex up to an X flex. What you should looking for is something with a different kickpoint to get it up if you're concerned. Many things to consider, your swing speed etc and how you load the shaft etc. best move is to get into a qualified fitter. No guessing after seeing them.

Thanks Maverick!

MY BAG-

All Left Handed!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Maverick!

THe fairway wood head being heavier than a driver head will make the shaft react as if it were more flexible. Most likely by about a flex. That said the NV is a stiff tip type shaft and placing in the FW head as is will make it slightly more forgiving from a try to get the ball higher perspective.

Traditionally, one would trim a shaft about an inch to place it in a FW However if you are a feel player it will feel light and might lose it in the back swing.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Another thing you may want to consider is a change of shaft.

If I may suggest for you to try a Miyazaki Kusala White 61gram S-Flex, it will help kick the ball up. It's a very stable shaft and much cheaper than the typical $350 shafts.

If the white feels a little too soft, you can tip trim by 1" to turn it into a Kusala Silver almost.

I currently use an R11s head with Fubuki Alpha 70g and I'm going to start using RBZ Tour head with Kusala White myself since the flight is much better and higher to land

balls on greens.

You're actually supposed to tip trim most shafts to get to the proper flex when building a fairway. This is to stiffen it up to account for the added head weight to make it react as it would with a 200 gram driver head untipped (shafts, most of the time are build around a 200 gram head weight). You'd want to contact the manufacturer or check manufacturer's tipping specs. Aldila, if I'm not mistaken, recommends 1 inch of tipping regardless of fairway loft for their shafts.

To answer your original question, yes, it'll launch higher if you don't tip it. It'll also play weak to flex and you'll have control issues. Instead, I'd recommend a different shaft to raise flight. If you're wanting to stay in the same shaft family, I'd say NVS or DVS dependent upon how much higher you want it to launch. The NV is their lowest launching shaft outside of the Protopype. I play one in my 13* strong 3 wood and a Protopype in a 17* fairway at times.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

You're actually supposed to tip trim most shafts to get to the proper flex when building a fairway. This is to stiffen it up to account for the added head weight to make it react as it would with a 200 gram driver head untipped (shafts, most of the time are build around a 200 gram head weight). You'd want to contact the manufacturer or check manufacturer's tipping specs. Aldila, if I'm not mistaken, recommends 1 inch of tipping regardless of fairway loft for their shafts.

To answer your original question, yes, it'll launch higher if you don't tip it. It'll also play weak to flex and you'll have control issues. Instead, I'd recommend a different shaft to raise flight. If you're wanting to stay in the same shaft family, I'd say NVS or DVS dependent upon how much higher you want it to launch. The NV is their lowest launching shaft outside of the Protopype. I play one in my 13* strong 3 wood and a Protopype in a 17* fairway at times.

Thanks Rookie!

MY BAG-

All Left Handed!

Archived