Sign in to follow this  
GolfSpy_X

Wilson Shockwave Driver (Europe Market)

And Wilson is cranking out great products, better than a lot of the top OEMs

Have used many drivers in the last few years. Many of the top sellers were 20-30 yards shorter and harder to control than less played brands. Don't want to flame a brand, only want to talk about what works for me. The Wilson Smooth had only average reviews but I LOVED hitting it...Will probably be adding it to my bag in the near future. Long, straight but workable also..and the looks and sound are appealing at address.

Swings are different and what works for any individual will often be different because of that. Just sayin...to heck with brand loyalty, I try everything and play what works for me.

I'm with the majority here that it is an appealing club but don't know about the lighter weight strategy being pushed out by the manufacturers.

Anyone hit the US Wilson Smooth Driver?

Wilson has improved their irons a lot the last few years but i have always felt their drivers are way behind. Hopefully they are giving more attention to their wood line because their new irons wedges and putters are fantastic

Anyone hit the US Wilson Smooth Driver?

I hit both the 9 degree and the 10.5 degree at a recent demo day. Having trouble deciding which way to go and want to hit both again on a different day to see if I have consistent results. GREAT club and shaft. I've always gone with the lower trajectory option with heads. But the 10.5 has a beautiful flight that made me question this . I know that the higher loft is better suited to slower swing speeds but some with higher swing speeds are going this route also. Would like to hear from people who have switched one way or the other with your results.

By the way, the bottom of the Smooth is classy and well executed. The top at address isn't as refined but I liked the shape of the club and I hit the tar out of it. You can work it left or right and it's very stable and solid feeling.

The graphics and finish on the top are basic, but the results are worth the trade off...For a club that's been on the market for a couple years you still can't find them for under $250 and most places are at $299...While most big names with pretty faces drop to $199 after a year, this suggests that I'm not the only one who has had good results with the Smooth.

I really, really want to hit this club, but I can't find it any where in my area

Did another Demo Day yesterday...Was there for a couple hours, trying drivers, getting fitted on the Mizuno cart of irons (fantastic info) and kept an open mind.

Taylor Made, Cobra, Titleist, Adams, Mizuno, Wilson and a couple others were there...Hit a bunch and came back to the Wilson Smooth Driver. After extended use of drivers available, I found the 9.0 with the Fujikura E360 worked best for me. The things I love about it are the shape of the head (for a 460cc, it looks smaller and more appealing), the simple alignment on the crown and the way the ball explodes off the clubface. My mishits were very acceptable (my Wilson Spine hit long, but mishits on the inside of the head were awful) and the ball flight was laser like. I have a wide arc that produces a high trajectory and the 9.0 truly had a penetrating ball flight. A guy next to me was 5-10 years younger and was going on about his long drive competition driver. I'm not sure what he was using but my carry was longer than his total yardage* (* hitting long has NOTHING to do with scoring, I have a lifetime of scorecards to prove it!).

The thing that got me to the cash register was my dispersion. Long is great, but not if you are hitting 3 off the tee.

I was able to make a powerful swing with tempo and produce repeating results...Sold....Highly recommend giving this club a shot if you can find it, it's truly underrated.

As for irons, I came away with two clubs...The Wilson FG Tour I hit again and will likely purchase someday, but got fitted at the Mizuno stall and hit the MP 52 and MP 58 with the 6.0 project X shaft. The Mizuno fitting meter that attaches to the club actually had me at 6.5, but the guy fitting me said that the tempo on my better swings were more suited to the 6.0. Regardless, I loved the Zuno's...The 58 is sexier looking but the 52 is rock solid and slightly more forgiving. I felt I could play either one (if I could afford it!!). In the last couple weeks I've spent time on the simulator and getting fitted and have decided either to reshaft my Wilson pi7's with an inch longer shaft (2 degrees upright) or do the same with whatever I purchase. I got fitted many years ago and ended up with the same specs.

One thing for sure...NOTHING feels like a well struck forged club. Pure butter on the better swings. Good feedback on the not so good swings...But I could live with either the FG Tours or either Mizuno..Learned a lot..

Very nice to hear about the driver! Keep us informed on it's preformance!

Looks like it could be a solid driver but unless it separates itself somehow from every other driver, they won't sell too many and it will become a very cheap club on ebay or clearance sites. I don't think investing in drivers is a good idea for Wilson. They need to stick to irons, hybrids, and wedges and bring down the intense club graphics.