Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2012 PGA SHOW - TaylorMade/Adidas (DAY 2)

Tony Covey MGS

Those last shoes look great, did you get a chance to try them on? Very curious how they feel.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• SPY VIP

Sorry...didn't try the shoes. If there is enough interest we about getting a pair or two in for review. We probably spent a little too much time at TMAG, but once again they did an insane job with their booth.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• 2 weeks later...
  • SPY VIP

T, overall, taking all the variables into consideration(booth's physical layout, appearence & set-up, employee performance, product access, etc.), which company do you feel did the best job @ the show?

What's interesting is exactly how much the booths reflect each company's personality.

Cleveland wasn't at the show.

Adams, Mizuno, and Wilson chose conference rooms over traditional booths. They all have their reasons, I'm sure, but the show would have been better with their products on the main floor.

Cobra-PUMA was a non-stop party (as you get closer to the booth, you can't help but hear the music...and it never stops). Theirs is probably the most fun, even if it's smaller than most big OEM booths. Like most OEMs, you can hit the clubs, but only if you wander down to the indoor range.

Nike is really pushing the "Speed Test" thing, and that was certainly the focus. The booth itself was simple. Our Nike contacts are the best, and we'll always go out of the way to spend a little time with them, but the booth itself...just not a lot of inventory, and apart from a few clubs and some apparel, not much going on. I will add that I do really like the VR_S Driver.

Bridgestone...all about ball fittings. As much as we love the J40 lineup, the ball is still very much the thing, and there is no real push to change that.

Titleist never deviates. White coats, no nonsense, here is are gear approach. They are pretty excited about the new ball. The booth, however; not much different from last year. GolfSpyX and one of our Titleist marketing contacts play an annual game of something akin to cat and mouse. It never goes anywhere, but it sure is entertaining.

PING is all about their custom fitting, but not a ton to see as far as a booth goes.

Callaway was a bit of a disappointment this year. Not a ton of gear, not a ton of visible focus on the new products. Mostly it was just a large meeting space, which is great for meeting with their accounts and what not, but otherwise just not a whole hell of a lot going on there either. It's a company that really needs and infusion of energy, and it didn't happen at the show.

All of this brings me to TaylorMade...

Just like last year, the company occupied an insane amount of real estate (with an even bigger space hidden behind the curtain for George Thorogood and the associated party). The booth was huge, and not cramped. As far as product goes, TaylorMade had as much as anybody at the show (probably more). It's hard to argue with 2 separate driving ranges (1 each for RocketBallz and R11s). The displays we're well separated (Neon 17 more yards RocketBallz tunnel in a different section than the R11s "Driver Love"). Wedges, irons, and putters all on display as well. The apparel was also very well laid out as well - and had a ton of foot traffic. Killing the booth should be relatively easy, however, when you have what I'm guessing is 5X the space of any other booth, and more cash than any of your competitors.

You asked about staff...I'm admittedly a bit more familiar with the TM staff (having just gotten back from Carlsbad), so the faces for me are more recognizable. I did see several senior staff members (not just the PR team) actively working (approaching people, having real conversations) the floor. Worth adding, TM had the best demo day setup as well; most impressive was the emphasis on custom fitting (both indoors and out).

When all factors are considered, it's hard to make a case for anyone other than TaylorMade, however; while perhaps not on the same scale, Cobra-PUMA throws a better party (I'll take Blair O'Neal over George Thorogood any and every day).

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Archived