Our Sponsors

Photo

2012 PGA SHOW - TaylorMade/Adidas (DAY 2)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GolfSpy T

GolfSpy T

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Administrators
  • 2,445 posts
  • LocationUpstate, NY

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:32 AM

:

Attached Images

• PGA-Show-TMAG-1-2.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-1.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-2-2.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-2.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-3-2.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-3.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-4.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-5.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-6.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-7.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-8.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-9.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-10.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-11.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-12.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-13.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-14.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-15.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-16.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-17.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-18.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-19.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-20.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-21.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-22.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-23.jpg
  • PGA-Show-TMAG-24.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-332.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-333.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-336.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-340.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-343.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-347.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-350.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-351.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-352.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-354.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-357.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-360.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-361.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-364.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-366.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-367.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-372.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-379.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-380.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-382.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-386.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-387.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-390.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-393.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-395.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-399.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-400.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-402.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-405.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-407.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-408.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-959.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-960.jpg
  • pga-demo-day-2012-961.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Follow Me on Twitter: @GolfSpyT

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

#2 hckymeyer

hckymeyer

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,608 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN
  • Handicap:6.1

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:50 AM

Those last shoes look great, did you get a chance to try them on? Very curious how they feel.
Driver: TMaG SLDR 430 10.5° set to 11° Diamana D+ 62 stiff
Fairway Wood: 3w SLDR 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid: Cobra Amp Cell (Blue) 2/3 hybrid Diamana D+ 92 stiff
Irons: Cobra Amp Cell (Blue) 4i-GW KBS C-Taper S+ soft stepped once + 1/2"
Wedges: Scratch 1018 54° C-Taper 8i shaft S+
Wedges: Scratch 8620 58° C-Taper 8i shaft S+
Putter: Custom Odyssey 2ball
Grips: PURE Pro grips (currently light blue and regular blue)
Ball: TMaG Penta TP5 or Wilson Staff FG Tour X, Tour Preferred X
Bag: BagBoy Revolver LE in blue
Cart: 2006 EZGO TXT with modifications,

#3 GolfSpy T

GolfSpy T

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Administrators
  • 2,445 posts
  • LocationUpstate, NY

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:52 AM

Sorry...didn't try the shoes. If there is enough interest we about getting a pair or two in for review. We probably spent a little too much time at TMAG, but once again they did an insane job with their booth.
MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

#4 R.P. Jacobs II

R.P. Jacobs II

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Members

• 6,894 posts
  • LocationThe Burgh
  • Handicap:2

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

Sorry...didn't try the shoes. If there is enough interest we about getting a pair or two in for review. We probably spent a little too much time at TMAG, but once again they did an insane job with their booth.

T, overall, taking all the variables into consideration(booth's physical layout, appearence & set-up, employee performance, product access, etc.), which company do you feel did the best job @ the show?

What's Inside My Sun Mountain H2N0 Stand Bag:

-TMaG RBZ ST 2 Tour(Breast Cancer Pink Head by WalkerJames) 10.5*, Graphite Design Tour AD 9003 S(74gr)

-Adams Speedline XTD Super LS VST 3FM(Breast Cancer Fill) 15*, RT Tech Midas S(88gr)

-Adams Idea XTD Super LS VST Hybrid 19*, Fubuki AX 350

-Mizzy MP-68(4i-8i),TT DG TI S400, +1/2", +2*

-SCOR 43*,47*,51*,55*,59*, Genious 12 Firm +,  +1/2"

-Scotty Studio Select Fastback Custom 1.5, 35", 350gr HW(Not from the shop, notta Tour Issue/Circle T, just a poor ass retail model B))-Breast Cancer Fill

-Golf Pride Decade Multi-Compound Cord, Mizzy Blue/Black

-Stones Tour B330-S

-Shoes: A bunch, depends on my slacks, lol
"Sometimes I am selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am occasionally out of control and at times, difficult to deal with. But, if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best!"

-Marilyn Monroe

-I just so happened to have been born the year that Ms. Monroe made this prophetic statement...RP II

#5 GolfSpy T

GolfSpy T

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Administrators
  • 2,445 posts
  • LocationUpstate, NY

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:56 AM

T, overall, taking all the variables into consideration(booth's physical layout, appearence & set-up, employee performance, product access, etc.), which company do you feel did the best job @ the show?

What's interesting is exactly how much the booths reflect each company's personality.

Cleveland wasn't at the show.

Adams, Mizuno, and Wilson chose conference rooms over traditional booths. They all have their reasons, I'm sure, but the show would have been better with their products on the main floor.

Cobra-PUMA was a non-stop party (as you get closer to the booth, you can't help but hear the music...and it never stops). Theirs is probably the most fun, even if it's smaller than most big OEM booths. Like most OEMs, you can hit the clubs, but only if you wander down to the indoor range.

Nike is really pushing the "Speed Test" thing, and that was certainly the focus. The booth itself was simple. Our Nike contacts are the best, and we'll always go out of the way to spend a little time with them, but the booth itself...just not a lot of inventory, and apart from a few clubs and some apparel, not much going on. I will add that I do really like the VR_S Driver.

Bridgestone...all about ball fittings. As much as we love the J40 lineup, the ball is still very much the thing, and there is no real push to change that.

Titleist never deviates. White coats, no nonsense, here is are gear approach. They are pretty excited about the new ball. The booth, however; not much different from last year. GolfSpyX and one of our Titleist marketing contacts play an annual game of something akin to cat and mouse. It never goes anywhere, but it sure is entertaining.

PING is all about their custom fitting, but not a ton to see as far as a booth goes.

Callaway was a bit of a disappointment this year. Not a ton of gear, not a ton of visible focus on the new products. Mostly it was just a large meeting space, which is great for meeting with their accounts and what not, but otherwise just not a whole hell of a lot going on there either. It's a company that really needs and infusion of energy, and it didn't happen at the show.

All of this brings me to TaylorMade...
Just like last year, the company occupied an insane amount of real estate (with an even bigger space hidden behind the curtain for George Thorogood and the associated party). The booth was huge, and not cramped. As far as product goes, TaylorMade had as much as anybody at the show (probably more). It's hard to argue with 2 separate driving ranges (1 each for RocketBallz and R11s). The displays we're well separated (Neon 17 more yards RocketBallz tunnel in a different section than the R11s "Driver Love"). Wedges, irons, and putters all on display as well. The apparel was also very well laid out as well - and had a ton of foot traffic. Killing the booth should be relatively easy, however, when you have what I'm guessing is 5X the space of any other booth, and more cash than any of your competitors.

You asked about staff...I'm admittedly a bit more familiar with the TM staff (having just gotten back from Carlsbad), so the faces for me are more recognizable. I did see several senior staff members (not just the PR team) actively working (approaching people, having real conversations) the floor. Worth adding, TM had the best demo day setup as well; most impressive was the emphasis on custom fitting (both indoors and out).

When all factors are considered, it's hard to make a case for anyone other than TaylorMade, however; while perhaps not on the same scale, Cobra-PUMA throws a better party (I'll take Blair O'Neal over George Thorogood any and every day).

#6 R.P. Jacobs II

R.P. Jacobs II

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Members

• 6,894 posts
  • LocationThe Burgh
  • Handicap:2

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:13 AM

What's interesting is exactly how much the booths reflect each company's personality.

Cleveland wasn't at the show.

Adams, Mizuno, and Wilson chose conference rooms over traditional booths. They all have their reasons, I'm sure, but the show would have been better with their products on the main floor.

Cobra-PUMA was a non-stop party (as you get closer to the booth, you can't help but hear the music...and it never stops). Theirs is probably the most fun, even if it's smaller than most big OEM booths. Like most OEMs, you can hit the clubs, but only if you wander down to the indoor range.

Nike is really pushing the "Speed Test" thing, and that was certainly the focus. The booth itself was simple. Our Nike contacts are the best, and we'll always go out of the way to spend a little time with them, but the booth itself...just not a lot of inventory, and apart from a few clubs and some apparel, not much going on. I will add that I do really like the VR_S Driver.

Bridgestone...all about ball fittings. As much as we love the J40 lineup, the ball is still very much the thing, and there is no real push to change that.

Titleist never deviates. White coats, no nonsense, here is are gear approach. They are pretty excited about the new ball. The booth, however; not much different from last year. GolfSpyX and one of our Titleist marketing contacts play an annual game of something akin to cat and mouse. It never goes anywhere, but it sure is entertaining.

PING is all about their custom fitting, but not a ton to see as far as a booth goes.

Callaway was a bit of a disappointment this year. Not a ton of gear, not a ton of visible focus on the new products. Mostly it was just a large meeting space, which is great for meeting with their accounts and what not, but otherwise just not a whole hell of a lot going on there either. It's a company that really needs and infusion of energy, and it didn't happen at the show.

All of this brings me to TaylorMade...
Just like last year, the company occupied an insane amount of real estate (with an even bigger space hidden behind the curtain for George Thorogood and the associated party). The booth was huge, and not cramped. As far as product goes, TaylorMade had as much as anybody at the show (probably more). It's hard to argue with 2 separate driving ranges (1 each for RocketBallz and R11s). The displays we're well separated (Neon 17 more yards RocketBallz tunnel in a different section than the R11s "Driver Love"). Wedges, irons, and putters all on display as well. The apparel was also very well laid out as well - and had a ton of foot traffic. Killing the booth should be relatively easy, however, when you have what I'm guessing is 5X the space of any other booth, and more cash than any of your competitors.

You asked about staff...I'm admittedly a bit more familiar with the TM staff (having just gotten back from Carlsbad), so the faces for me are more recognizable. I did see several senior staff members (not just the PR team) actively working (approaching people, having real conversations) the floor. Worth adding, TM had the best demo day setup as well; most impressive was the emphasis on custom fitting (both indoors and out).

When all factors are considered, it's hard to make a case for anyone other than TaylorMade, however; while perhaps not on the same scale, Cobra-PUMA throws a better party (I'll take Blair O'Neal over George Thorogood any and every day).

T, thanx much for the detailed response..it was great & painted a vivid picture..Sounds like TM took the "big school" title & Cobra-Puma took the "small school"...I'm dissapointed that Mizuno & especially Adams didn't have a larger presence...Thanx to you and all the MGS spies & staffers...Great job..Fairways & Greens 4ever..

What's Inside My Sun Mountain H2N0 Stand Bag:

-TMaG RBZ ST 2 Tour(Breast Cancer Pink Head by WalkerJames) 10.5*, Graphite Design Tour AD 9003 S(74gr)

-Adams Speedline XTD Super LS VST 3FM(Breast Cancer Fill) 15*, RT Tech Midas S(88gr)

-Adams Idea XTD Super LS VST Hybrid 19*, Fubuki AX 350

-Mizzy MP-68(4i-8i),TT DG TI S400, +1/2", +2*

-SCOR 43*,47*,51*,55*,59*, Genious 12 Firm +,  +1/2"

-Scotty Studio Select Fastback Custom 1.5, 35", 350gr HW(Not from the shop, notta Tour Issue/Circle T, just a poor ass retail model B))-Breast Cancer Fill

-Golf Pride Decade Multi-Compound Cord, Mizzy Blue/Black

-Stones Tour B330-S

-Shoes: A bunch, depends on my slacks, lol
"Sometimes I am selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am occasionally out of control and at times, difficult to deal with. But, if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best!"

-Marilyn Monroe

-I just so happened to have been born the year that Ms. Monroe made this prophetic statement...RP II

#7 Xamilo

Xamilo

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Handicap:16

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:45 AM

Those last shoes look great, did you get a chance to try them on? Very curious how they feel.

They look awesome! I'm a big lover of "trainer-like" golf shoes, and those hit the spot...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      17 Apr
    hckymeyer

I just had to move my golf cart so I could get my snow blower out...

Show comments (8)
View All Updates

Our Sponsors