Testers Wanted: Vice Golf Irons ×

Number of Testers
Signup Cutoff Date:
962 signups
Equipment Type: Grips
Vendor: Star Grips

Star-Feature.jpg

One of the most overlooked items on a golf club is the grip. Yet it is our single connection point to the golf club and shaft. Star Grips is not as well-known as some of the big names but they have a long history and provide grips purpose-built for the air-compressor installation method.

About Star Grips

Star-Standard.jpg

If you haven’t heard of Star Grips, this is what they have to say about their brand, history and product: 

“Founded in 2001, Star Grip has been manufacturing golf grips in the USA for over 20 years. Made from our proprietary StarTack EPDM compound, our grips are produced using a seamless injection molding process which results in unmatched quality, performance, and consistency with a weight tolerance of +/-1 gram. They are also unquestionably some of the longest-lasting grips in the industry. As such, we are proud to offer an unprecedented 3-year durability guarantee on every grip we make - whether purchased directly from us or from any of our dealers located around the world. If they become hard, slick, or crack within 3 years, just contact us, and we'll send you a free replacement!”

Star Grips offers four different grips for full-swing clubs: The Sidewinder 350*, which is offered in eight different colors; the Classic Wrap and Tour Star+ 360* in four different colors, and the Smoother Wrap in black. As a bonus, Star Grips also offers a free installation gun when orders exceed $100.

Star-Tour.jpg

What Is Being Tested

With bold claims about having the longest-lasting grips in the industry and an exceptionally long warranty, Star Grips is providing four testers with a full set of grips (13) of their choosing.

Testers will install, test, review and keep the grips to tell us how they really perform! Do Star Grips live up to these claims?

Do you want to be our next tester?

Star-Wrap.jpg

*Registration closes March 6.
*Testers announced March 12 on the Forum.
*Open to registered Forum members worldwide.
*Installation can be done by tester or shop. However, the cost is at the tester's expense.

Star-ACInstall.jpg

109 Comments

I would sign up.. but I've been using these for years so they've already passed my test. IMO Stars are the absolute best full rubber grips on the market.. no questions! 

if you're used to Tour Velvets, or Crosslines, the Sidewinders are 10 times better. Better feeling, better looking, and MUCH longer lasting. 

what an awesome opportunity! 

Wonderful, another swing thought popping into my head, "What if it's your grips that made you shank that."🫠

In all seriousness, this is something that I overlook and this testing opportunity is the reminder I need to check my grip situation. Best of luck to the chosen ones.

I end up changing grips twice per season. If these work as advertised then even if the initial cost is 2x their worth it. Do my own install so the gun tool would be great!  

Been using Pure wraps for 8 years. Never have worn one out. I have put over 100 of these grips on for friends. Bummed that Pure is gone. I will go with Star. Wish Star made a Jumbo in their wrap line. Hey Star, are you listening?

Was neat seeing these come up on the testing window.  3yr is pretty unheard of and they go on with air.  Looking at their site some good options to be had.  Will be fun to follow this thread.  I understand that if you’ve ever used PURE grips, these will be right at home.  Good luck to those entering the race to test! 

I used Pure grips for many years and was very sad when I heard Pure Grips shut down.   Excited to try Star Grips as they appear to be similar to Pure Grips same texture and feel.  Also a big plus is they are made in the USA.

I'm in Canada(Vancouver Island), does that count. I have been playing Pure Grip DTX for a number of years (probably 4or 5 years)and from my understanding Pure Grips were basically a knockoff of Star Grips or was it someone left Star Grips and started Pure Grips. Considering Pure Grips just closed their doors I was looking for some grips to replace them with. I have one sidewinder coming from Golfworks to test out, would be nice if I had a full set to test.

Playing daily in my sim for the last year and I can already tell my grips are going to need replacing before the outdoor season gets here. 

Well what perfect time was needing to regrip clubs and what better time to do it then to test out some new ones. Looking to get picked for the testing.

First time hearing of star grips but 3 years sounds great considering how my dri tac grips handled the pacific north west!

I have over 100 grips of a mixed variety and regrip at least a 2-3 times per year. My hands sweat a lot in the heat, so I generally play cord grips. If these grips provide a close to cord grip with the soft feel of rubber than I am all in. I have not used an air gun on grips but think it is a great idea. Good luck to the chosen testers.

Have used the Pure grip in the past and so have all the equipment ready for these. I have looked at the Star grip before, but never got round to trying. I have a set of Golf Pride CPX I was looking to test in the coming weeks so could easiliy do a comparison to those alongside my current GP MCC Plus4. I like the variety in the colour options so could get funky. 

Good luck to the potential testers. I have never heard of Star grips. I also have never used a compressor to install my grips. Grips that last for 3 years sounds amazing. 

I was literally getting ready to look for some new grips for the season, this would be great if i could just test these out instead

Can’t wait to hear how this goes. I just stocked up on a bunch of PURE Grips, which I think are pretty similar so I’ll bow out of this one. After switching to the air compressor method will be hard for me to switch back for any reason.

I was just looking at ordering a set of grips for the season. I'm going to hold off (with fingers and toes crossed) that I get selected for these. I would love some sweet new color!

I have been using the Star Grip Tour Star Standard+ 360 Grip on my driver and fairways for a few years now. I really like them and this one in particular. The size of this grip feels just a bit bigger than standard so I don't have to add my usual two extra wraps. Would like to try them on my irons sometime. Not sure why I haven't really.

Good luck to the testers! I change grips twice a year or so, be interesting to hear about the claim of "longest lasting". Might make a change.

For those who don't change the grips themselves,  I recommend you give it a try.  It's easy, and if you use the compressed air technique it is clean too. Using mineral spirits can be a bit messy. Air technique  is quicker, too.

These look pretty sweet. I need to regrip everything this year anyway. Looking to move on from GP MCC for something new, maybe this is it. 

Another great opportunity for the forum members! It's cool that they offer such bold colors. You don't really see that with most manufactures. I also think this is supposed to be best grip to air install, right?

Good luck to all who apply! It's always fun to tinker around with new grips!

The colors on these really pop! Have heard great things about them, good luck to all those applying!

Just regripped most of my clubs otherwise I'd throw my hat in the ring. Might have to get 1 or 2 to try out though.

I've done my own grips for many years now.  I've tried to keep a small number of "no tape" installation grips handy, as they make it far easier when experimenting with different lengths.  I'll leave the clubs a little longer than I'm likely to want, blow the grip on, try it out, blow it back off, cut a little, blow it back on, etc.  Sure makes things easier than going through a lot of tape and solvent.  I don't have the special installation gun.  I use one of those plastic "individual club holder" sleeves they used to sell for golf bags that's been cut to a usable length to remove grips (so they don't overinflate and explode), and putting it back on again typically doesn't have the chance of overinflation, so a standard type gun also works.  Also, the very end of the grip typically needs a little twist to break the tape loose and get the inflation started, so it'd be interesting to see how the "collar" on the special gun works in that regard.

Anyway, hope there's a chance to try these out.

This Test is now closed to further comments.