Number of Testers
Signup Cutoff Date:
3,120 signups
Equipment Type: Irons
Vendor: MacGregor

MacGregor Golf is back and has a new line of irons by way of the MT86 OS Irons and MT86 Pro Irons

Screenshot 2023-03-12 15.35.01.png

We can trace our roots all the way back to 1829, with the founders of the company, a pair of English immigrants and expert woodworkers, opening a factory in Dayton OH.

The company initially started as a producer of hand carved wooden shoe lasts, pioneering a new lathe-based technique for producing lasts faster and more accurately than anyone around.

From 1875 to 1897, the company began a transformation. Two new partners were brought on; John McGregor, an expat from St Andrews, Scotland and a die-hard golfer, as well as Edward Canby, who soon became obsessed with the game.

In 1897, the partnership began the manufacture of traditional golf shafts and clubs, one of America's very first club manufacturers.

MacGregor clubs proved popular with both professionals and amateurs alike, with hundreds of thousands of clubs being sold around the world.

The company emerged from the Great Depression with new ownership and management, who sought the services of the legendary Tommy Armour, who in turn brought his assistant Toney Penna, and tour pros Jimmy Demaret, Byron Nelson and Ben Hogan. This was a formidable team; during the 1950s, MacGregor was the number one club and ball on tour. 

A period of innovation and growth followed which led the company to its most iconic partnership with Jack Nicklaus. Besides dominating on the course, Mr. Nicklaus was heavily involved with the management and direction of the company, and even ended up owning the company and bringing stability after a period of mismanagement. 

image.png

Since conception, MacGregor clubs have been used to win an incredible 59 majors in the hands and bags of all time greats like Jack Nicklaus and Greg Norman.

Now, though our pedigree runs nearly two centuries, our approach is thoroughly modern. Uncompromising quality shipped direct to the consumer for simply unbeatable prices. We're here to put the MacGregor back on the map, and truly make it The Greatest Name in Golf once more.

image.png

We are looking for 4 Forum Testers (2 OS & 2 Pro) to test and keep these incredible irons!

This test is open to RH and US only Forum Members

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New to the Forum? Interested in how we select our testers and want to increase your opportunity at being selected in this or future tests? READ MORE HERE!

153 Comments

played a set of tourney's handed down from my dad when i first fell in love with the game. Would love to try the new model, still a very good looking iron in my opinion

Agree with Ben Joest, some incredible testing opportunities!!  I have a hand me down set of McGregor Irons from the early 70's in the attic.  McGregor has keep that nice forged iron head style!  Really good looking! Thanks MGS & McGregor! 

The first clubs that I were able to call my own were MacGregor.  I cherished those irons.  Wish I know what happened to them, maybe they are up in my parents attic somewhere.  Love the look of these new ones.  Hope they feel as good as they look!

Just read all the comments/reviews & current pics and looks like MacGregor has hit it out of the park. 
Good luck to the Testers.  

A brand that just about every golfer born in the 80s or earlier has had in their bag at one point in time … and can be found at many a Goodwills across the US.

Happy to see they’re back. Good luck to the testers! 

Been looking for irons to upgrade from my old trusty Taylormade TP MB's. Mac Gregor has always made a solid iron, so would love to test these out. Spec wise the Pro irons are only slightly strong (2 degrees throughout except 1 for 4 iron) versus older specs. The wider sole may help with alignment and overall face balance/trajectory (pushing weight further back). Wish they put more gold/yellow paint on the head lettering, only gold from Mac's vintage days is on the ferral. 

Ahhhh . Great to see MacGregor back in play again. Played their DX and MT Tourney irons back in the 60’s. The new irons bring back those great memories. Gook luck to the testers .

Those are beautiful irons, seriously! I would love to be chosen to play these Pro irons and put them up against my Rogue ST Pros. Please please please!!! 

Good luck to everyone here, this is another killer testing opportunity!

These look great.  Interestingly, when I started playing a bit more after college in the early 80's I was using a set of my dad's H&B PowerBuilt irons (which still look pretty good down in the basement). I broke the 7 iron and a friend said oh I have one you can have.  It was a MacGregor with the black faceplate. I really liked it.  It is still with that set in the basement.  I moved on to a set of Maxfli's, then Taylor Made's, and now a set of Callaway Apex Forged.  I would be more than interested in looking down at those toplines.

Would love to test these out. I remember being super impressed when my dad got a set of MacGregor irons when I was a kid. I got his old Ram blades he replaced as my first set of clubs 😀.

People can take a dig at them but I like the more minimal look with still a nod to the retro and history. Also, been a big fan of Callaway products since I started playing and willing to see what Austie Rollins has come up with for MacGregor based on what I've read

It has been years since i have seen MacGregor golf clubs.  A relative had told me that they were going to start producing new clubs but they were going to be direct to consumer sales.  Good looking clubs.

2 minutes ago, Navart said:

People can take a dig at them but I like the more minimal look with still a nod to the retro and history. Also, been a big fan of Callaway products since I started playing and willing to see what Austie Rollins has come up with for MacGregor based on what I've read

Really interested in trying the 4-PW with KBS Steel Tour shafts setup

I am currently playing MacGregor irons and I love them!  These are certainly sweet looking clubs, but I don't think my review would add substantial value to the forum members.  Best of luck to all who apply... you will not be disappointed if they are as good as the old MacGregors were.

I would love to test the Pro's 

I used and still have the MacGregor MT irons (cup face) with Don White wedges.   Currently gaming Tour Edge.  

Thanks for the opportunity, MGS! This Dayton, OH resident (!) signed up for the OS as I have TaylorMade P-790's and I think they would be most similar. Fingers crossed!

I can remember a buddy of mine used to play Macs back in the day! Those things felt so good! I had endo Hogans & honestly felt just as good as mine! If this line of MacGregor has the same feel, lookout! 

This Test is now closed to further comments.