I posted something about this earlier in the year. Now i hit a push draw or a pull/ draw for the most part.

Here is a link to a simple butch harmon article that started it all.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2010-05/fast-fixes-butch-harmon-push

What is missing is some set up instructions, that will answer questions you might have. Say when you are at the range the next time. Here is a video from titleist that covers where your club face should point, hips & shoulder alignment.

http://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/archive/2014/07/31/18-shots-presented-by-titleist-how-to-hit-a-power-draw-with-mark-blackburn.aspx

What is missing from all is GRIP PRESSURE. If your left hand is really tight it won't allow the natural motion of the club face to rotate over. That is why some of the best players use a firmer left hand grip to fade. So if the above instructions don't get you to turn the ball over, look at that left grip. Typically as a round progresses your grip pressure tends to increase. Mine does and I may in turn hit a fade instead of a draw.

Yes I have a lot time to look up golf stuff/ instructions  :D

Thats not really an open stance though and Hogan never talked about an open stance, he talked about flaring out the front foot. Big difference.

Didn't say it was an open stance. I don't have trouble clearing my hips so there's no need to open the stance for me. But some people associate the flared foot with an open stance and it can be a mental trick for some to think they're opening the stance by just flaring the foot. I do it for stability in the backswing and to create more cool and resistance.

Didn't say it was an open stance. I don't have trouble clearing my hips so there's no need to open the stance for me. But some people associate the flared foot with an open stance and it can be a mental trick for some to think they're opening the stance by just flaring the foot. I do it for stability in the backswing and to create more cool and resistance.

A flared foot isnt an open stance and like I said, Hogan never talked about it in 5 Lessons.

I posted something about this earlier in the year. Now i hit a push draw or a pull/ draw for the most part.

Here is a link to a simple butch harmon article that started it all.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2010-05/fast-fixes-butch-harmon-push

What is missing is some set up instructions, that will answer questions you might have. Say when you are at the range the next time. Here is a video from titleist that covers where your club face should point, hips & shoulder alignment.

http://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/archive/2014/07/31/18-shots-presented-by-titleist-how-to-hit-a-power-draw-with-mark-blackburn.aspx

What is missing from all is GRIP PRESSURE. If your left hand is really tight it won't allow the natural motion of the club face to rotate over. That is why some of the best players use a firmer left hand grip to fade. So if the above instructions don't get you to turn the ball over, look at that left grip. Typically as a round progresses your grip pressure tends to increase. Mine does and I may in turn hit a fade instead of a draw.

Yes I have a lot time to look up golf stuff/ instructions  :D

I hear you.  I spend more time thinking about the mechanics of the golf swing than is probably healthy.  For me, I think the issue was my hips outracing my arms.  Ive worked on slowing down my hips and now Im hitting a slight, little draws and even hitting fades with the driver.  Its pretty funny how something so stupid was the bane of my golf existence for the past 15 years. LOL

• Like 1

A flared foot isnt an open stance and like I said, Hogan never talked about it in 5 Lessons.

You sure, because he said right foot square, left foot turned slightly toward the target line.  To quote Hogan directly from 5 Lessons, on page 41 in my copy at the bottom of the page (carries over to page 42) :

"It has always struck me that these players succeed in spite of the placement of their feet, for I have been convinced since my early days in golf that THERE IS ONE CORRECT BASIC STANCE: THE RIGHT FOOT IS AT A RIGHT ANGLE TO THE LINE OF FLIGHT AND THE LEFT FOOT IS TURNED OUT A QUARTER OF A TURN TO THE LEFT."

That is 100% verbatim from Hogan's book, which I have sitting in front of me right now. Don't know how much more plain he could have said to flare the foot out.  Perhaps you'd like to borrow a copy of the book?  And never once did I say it was an open stance, if you'll read where I've said that twice now.  I said it is a mental trick to make one think they're in an open stance.  The mind works in mysterious ways.  

I hear you. I spend more time thinking about the mechanics of the golf swing than is probably healthy. For me, I think the issue was my hips outracing my arms. Ive worked on slowing down my hips and now Im hitting a slight, little draws and even hitting fades with the driver. Its pretty funny how something so stupid was the bane of my golf existence for the past 15 years. LOL

That's great man! Sometimes I wish I could record my swing when I'm really on so I can go back and see what I changed haha

You sure, because he said right foot square, left foot turned slightly toward the target line.  To quote Hogan directly from 5 Lessons, on page 41 in my copy at the bottom of the page (carries over to page 42) :

"It has always struck me that these players succeed in spite of the placement of their feet, for I have been convinced since my early days in golf that THERE IS ONE CORRECT BASIC STANCE: THE RIGHT FOOT IS AT A RIGHT ANGLE TO THE LINE OF FLIGHT AND THE LEFT FOOT IS TURNED OUT A QUARTER OF A TURN TO THE LEFT."

That is 100% verbatim from Hogan's book, which I have sitting in front of me right now. Don't know how much more plain he could have said to flare the foot out.  Perhaps you'd like to borrow a copy of the book?  And never once did I say it was an open stance, if you'll read where I've said that twice now.  I said it is a mental trick to make one think they're in an open stance.  The mind works in mysterious ways.  

I own the book and have read it at least a dozen times, thanks.  Beyond that, like I said, a flared foot is not an open stance.  We're talking about an open stance here, not a flared foot that tricks you into thinking you have an open stance.  We're talking about biomechanics, not psychology.  If you want to talk about the many benefits of flaring your front foot, youre more than welcome to start a thread about it.  ;)

That's great man! Sometimes I wish I could record my swing when I'm really on so I can go back and see what I changed haha

I know the feeling.  Im actually planning on becoming a PGA professional in the near future.  I feel like every time I play and get grouped with strangers, someone ends up asking me for advice and Im almost always able to help them.  I feel like why not do it for a living and get paid for it. LOL

• Like 1

I know the feeling.  Im actually planning on becoming a PGA professional in the near future.  I feel like every time I play and get grouped with strangers, someone ends up asking me for advice and Im almost always able to help them.  I feel like why not do it for a living and get paid for it. LOL

A 20 handicap is going to have a hard time passing the PAT(player ability test) to become a PGA professional. 

AND the common PGA pro doesn't get paid very much; plus they have to work activities and attend seminars to collect "points" to maintain their status.

• Like 1

I own the book and have read it at least a dozen times, thanks. Beyond that, like I said, a flared foot is not an open stance. We're talking about an open stance here, not a flared foot that tricks you into thinking you have an open stance. We're talking about biomechanics, not psychology. If you want to talk about the many benefits of flaring your front foot, youre more than welcome to start a thread about it. ;)

This thread is fine. You said hogan didn't talk about flaring the foot, I proved he did. And again, quote the post where I said flaring the foot is opening the stance. Internet tough guys... Crack me up. If you have trouble clearing the hips (one of the main reasons to open the hips), I'd go see a personal trainer to help with flexibility and to strengthen the core.

• Like 1

Well and there in lies the issue - Rookie's last point - lots of people overcome physical limitations by adjusting grip or stance, etc.  Sometimes we know what the optimum is but are unable to accomplish it.  Some of that is fixable through exercise some is not - think Tiger - it's easy for any of us to say, he should just go back to one of his old swings that worked.  But consider what his body has been through over the course of the past decade or so.  He may not be able to do what we think he should.

I've read Hogan's book, I wish I could square that right foot and flare the left as he says, I certainly used to.  However I need to flare the right foot just a bit.  Because of that I need to be very careful to not let me weight shift get outside of my base going back.  I make plenty of good golf swings and hit lots of good shots but there is little doubt that this costs me distance.